Print Page | Close Window

novice with many questions

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=47751
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 4:23am

Topic: novice with many questions
Posted By: pridepark
Subject: novice with many questions
Date Posted: October 19 2006 at 5:44am
Hi, I thought I was wise about how to grow my hair long and take care of it but after reading some posts here I realise I do only know the very minor basics.  My naturally wavy hair is now shoulder length and I want to grow it to at least mid back so have a few more years to go yet.

My problems are: 
After washing & conditioning my hair (about every 2days), it really frizzes up when dry.  I have to keep wetting it or putting a lot of gel in it to make it appear smooth (flat) and not wispy out of control.  However, all the gunk makes it feel dry and sticky or brittle.  How best to achieve the smoothed down look without losing body and feel?

Secondly, and I suppose related to the first, how do I achieve shine since although my hair feels soft, it just doesn't 'do' it for me.

I don't want to end up with long dry hair that wisps out everywhere like a lot of men I see around, I want soft, shiny and beautiful hair, regardless of how feminine it might look.  I have just invested in a quality set of straighteners but am scared I will just have longer wispy hair that will fly away and look a mess.

Sorry to ask a lot in one mail but thought better than to post 3 of 4 smaller posts.

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: October 19 2006 at 9:38am
Hi again!  You may want to consider oiling to reduce frizz...I just typed a bunch about that somewhere else, let me paste it here:
Oiling is when you put a small amount of oil in your hair after its washed and dried to moisturize it.  Usually jojoba or coconut is used, though some use olive oil.  You only use a little, for shoulderlength hair you may only need 1 or 2 drops, rubbed on the hair and brushed through to distribute - only from the ears down.  It should not make hair look greasy (if it does you used too much).  It will reduce frizz and increase shine.  Jojoba has been known to make the ends feel a little dry, even though it makes them look better, so if you're going to get a trim, you may not want to trim it until after you've washed again and haven't oiled, or you may be fooled into cutting too much off (this is the only negative thing about oiling - despite that it can make the ends feel dry, it is very good for hair and helps it tangle less). 

Oiling it won't make it stay in place though, so if you're using gel for hold, you will still have to use a sticky product.

If oiling doesn't give it enough shine, you may need a clarifying to remove buildup from hair products, or a diluted vinegar rinse after you condition if your water is hard.

Straightening may damage your hair over time, though I admit I'm not familiar with the new irons they make these days that are supposed to be less bad for hair. 

Edited to add the forgotten words

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: pridepark
Date Posted: October 19 2006 at 10:15am
Thanks Susan, will give this a try.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained and as you say I can always wash again without oiling if I need to.

Dont know why I didn't look and find this forum earlier, although I now feel like a kid in a candy shop lol.

Rich

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: October 20 2006 at 12:22am
I would wait on trying the oil... Before you go out and buy a bottle of jojoba, do some experimenting with your conditioner. I've found that using two conditioners in a row, or conditioning twice, is more helpful than oil had ever been.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: October 20 2006 at 2:31pm
Oooo Anais! Your hair looks COOL!  

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: October 21 2006 at 12:15pm
Yes, I agree, beautiful siggy pic Anais! Love those curls on the ends....

-------------

Posted By: whhoiskad
Date Posted: October 22 2006 at 3:50pm

Me to Anais!

Your hair also looks thicker than your last photo (or is that my dodgy eyes!)

-------------
Hair Type 2a/m/ii

Print Page | Close Window