Print Page | Close Window

What's the Hype About Dominican Hair Stylists?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: African American Hair
Forum Name: African American Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of African Americans.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=47952
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 7:25pm

Topic: What's the Hype About Dominican Hair Stylists?
Posted By: LadyEsquire
Subject: What's the Hype About Dominican Hair Stylists?
Date Posted: October 27 2006 at 8:02am
I am originally from Brooklyn, the US Dominican capital, where there are at least 4 Dominican beauty parlors on every block.  In junior high, my family moved down to Miami, and yes, many Dominicans migrated there as well.  So, I have always known about the "mystique" surrounding their hair care.  In fact, my maternal grandmother is half-Dominican and she always rolleset her hair every Saturday, religiously...

Looking back as a little girl, every woman who faithfully got her hair done at a Dominican salon, had healthy, long, and bouncy hair, regardless of race. I grew up in a beauty salon, but my mother used rollers, but also used curling irons, blow dryers, and weaves...if that is what the client requested.  My mother eventually became infamous in our neighborhood as the expert "weave lady." And her clientele was very mixed.

Anyway, when I left home, many of my girlfriends frequented the Dominicans, but back then I really believed that some people can naturally grow hair and others can't.  Also my girlfriend made a comment to me once, when I asked her about her Dominican stylist, and she said that her stylist did not specialize in "short" hair, and that is when my insecurities got the best of me...and so I went back to my roots and started wearing weaves, like my mom.

Anyway, recently I went back home to Miami for my 30th B-day.  That same girlfriend could not stop playing in my hair.  My hair is full, bouncy and longer than ever (without any weave).  And she said, "man, I need to start going to Anna more often!" beacause she wasn't as diligent as she used to be.  Mind you, she has always had long hair.  But now, I stepped out of her comfort zone and I have joined the long-haired group....Well enough about my ramblings...I found this article online for those of you who have never met a Dominican.  Keep in mind, what the Dominicans are doing is simply DC-ing and rollersetting...so, they are incorporating all of the techniques that we are now doing ourselves at home.

Here it is:

What is the big deal about Dominican hair stylists?

Dominican hair products and hair stylists are quickly earning an outstanding reputation throughout the United States. I am sure that many wonder if this is just a new fad or if the products and stylists actually deserve their reputation. To determine their credibility lets analyze their hair treatment process.

What hair products do they use?

Dominican stylists like others use the popular name brand products such as, Sebastian, Biolage, Paul Mitchell, Nexus etc. However, they also use the traditional Dominican hair products made out of natural fruits, vegetables, or animal protein. 

What is their styling process?

After washing the hair they apply the hair conditioner. Then cover hair with a plastic cap and let you sit under the bonnet dryer for ten to twenty minutes. Later they will rinse it out and do hair rollers. After that you will probably be sitting on the drier anywhere from half an hour to one hour. This depends mostly on your hair type and length. Afterwards, they will move in to styling your hair. If you just want your hair straight this is the time when they will straighten the curls or waves left by rollers with a blow dryer. They rarely like to just blow dry hair without doing the rollers first.  

So, besides using different styling techniques and products what is so special about their service?

If you take a good look at both their styling practices and products they are both quite beneficial to the hair. They deep condition your hair before doing anything and secondly they use the dryer that it is a lot less harmful than blowers and irons. Even if they use the blower after taking out the rollers, they last less time blow drying it. Therefore, they would do less damage to the hair. Meanwhile the natural hair products contain the vitamins and proteins that come from the fruits, vegetables etc. This nourishes your hair by giving it the necessary nutrients for a lustrous look and feel. However, the most important thing is that the hair is healthy. Many find that after using their hair treatment process their hair gets healthier permanently.

What type of hair can benefit from their styling process and products?

All hair types (curly, straight, wavy, and coarse) can benefit from their hair process. Due to the history of the Dominican Republic the population is pretty much mixed. Some are white like their European ancestors while others resemble their African antecedents. Then there are many that have mixed traits such as coarse hair and light skin or dark skinned with curly/wavy hair. This means that the products are fabricated maintaining everyone in mind. And the stylists are pretty much experts in the treatment of all different hair types.

Another Reason why their products and styling process fit everyone is because their main focus is the maintenance and treatment of hair. By deep conditioning it, they diminish the amount of harm that we do to our hair with harsh chemicals such as hair color, relaxers, perms, highlights, etc.. They also control the amount of direct heat to individual strands by limiting or avoiding the use of blow dryers and hot irons.

For those curious about Dominican hair products click on the link http://www.kpatra.com/naturalhairconditioners.htm - http://www.kpatra.com/naturalhairconditioners.htm

Here are some others:
http://store.sickbay.biz/index.html and
http://www.ibeautyny.com/goods_list.asp?Index=208

Ciao,
LadyEsquire

-------------
journal: www.fotki.com/ladyesquire
email: ladyesquirehair@yahoo

Replies:
Posted By: blackhoney112
Date Posted: October 27 2006 at 1:14pm
Very informative! Thanks for the great information, unfortunately I do not have any Dominican salons in my area but love their condtioners,leaveins, and garlic poo...my only advise when trying their hair products is if your are staying away from mineral/petroleum oil stay away from the conditioner rinses and also inquire about the ingredients before you purchase online...ibeautyny doesn't have a return policy.

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/blackhoney112/hair_album/101505_.html - Hair album
pw:Romeo

Posted By: kriticalkare
Date Posted: October 31 2006 at 9:27am
Do the Dominicans service clients with natural hair?

Date Posted: October 31 2006 at 12:49pm
I have seen women with all types of natural come in for a blow out.  However, be careful because not all of them know how to handle ALL types of natural hair.

Go in and ask questions if you live close to any...good luck and let us know how it went.Wink

-------------

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: October 31 2006 at 10:05pm

There is not one Dominican Salon where I live.  A few weeks ago, I drove to another close state to have my hair done.  It was not a long drive, it took about an hour.  I had my hair rollerset, and I received excellent service. 

-------------

Posted By: cmesweet
Date Posted: November 01 2006 at 7:30am
I haven't found a Dominican salon here either...however, the women on here gave me directions on how to do one at home.  

I also read that they don't  know how to do all types of hair and use alot of heat...

Edited to add: I'm sorry about how your friend treated you when you had short hair. I'm glad you feel more secure about your hair and she is speechless about your growth.Big%20smile

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: November 01 2006 at 12:07pm
Cmesweet, now that I have developed healthy habits, I now know that there really isn't any "mystique" behind what they are doing.

I am learning how to get more polished looks at home, so I can get the salon look without the salon hassle.

As for the short hair, I always tried to rock short hair with confidence.  But we all know how much of a sensitive topic hair is for some of us black women.  I am getting over that, though.  When I went natural last year, it taught me to really embrace and love my hair...thanks

-------------

Print Page | Close Window