Print Page | Close Window

Hair Breakage

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=49868
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 12:22am

Topic: Hair Breakage
Posted By: jellomist
Subject: Hair Breakage
Date Posted: January 21 2007 at 12:56pm
Hi,
I'm looking for advice, suggestions, or any help I can get.

I have long hair with layers that I'm trying to grow out.  I used to have really long(mid-back) hair, but had a terrible haircutting experience a couple of years ago.  Since then, I've been growing out my layers.

I have naturally dark hair which has been bleached and toned and lowlighted.  My hair is in excellent shape though because of conditioning/reconstructors/trims. 

The problem is I have two layers at the very bottom of the back of my head that keep breaking off.  All my other layers are growing nicely and are healthy, but this bit in the back keeps breaking off and is barely reaches the bottom of my neck. 

My stylist is really great with my hair, but even she has no clue why this breakage keeps happening right in this one spot.  We've tried all kinds of conditioners and restructurers but nothing is helping...the hair keeps breaking there. 

The only thing I can think is it might be my pillowcases...they're imitation satin, not the real deal.  Maybe they're not as silky as they should be?  And I wear my hair down alot, which means the bottom layers are always rubbing against sweaters and turtlenecks.  Maybe it's this??? 

I don't know what to do.  No one knows why this is happening and we're completely stumped.

Anybody have any ideas???

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: Pkj049
Date Posted: January 21 2007 at 8:15pm
Could it be your style you are wearing like too tight ponies or not hair-friendly hair accessories?

-------------
2bMiii

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 22 2007 at 12:17pm
Maybe a coat with a collar that is not hair-friendly?
Maybe it's a piece of jewelry that gets hair caught in the clasp.

Do you toss and turn in your sleep?

Or as PKJ suggested, and I think it's the most likely explanation, some kind of hair style that is used too often.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Posted By: jellomist
Date Posted: January 22 2007 at 5:44pm
I'm not sure. I don't put my hair up much because it give me a headache.lol I use a big claw clip to clip up the back...but only for an hour or so at night or part of the day when I'm off work.
I wear alot of sweaters with high necks, turtlenecks, and scarves(it's really cold here).
I do toss and turn alot in bed. Plus my pillowcases are fake satin and are getting kinda old, so they're not as smooth as they can be.
I've been thinking of getting new silk pillowcases. Maybe that might help? I don't know...

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: January 22 2007 at 8:55pm
I have the same "problem"

The strands nearest to the nape of your neck are naturally weaker -- and, I suspect, genetically programmed to shorter terminal lengths -- than the  strands elsewhere on your scalp.  Not sure if this is what you are describing, or if the weakness/breakage is higher up.

-------------

Posted By: Alayney
Date Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:44pm
Could they just be baby hairs/new growth? I've always had that going on myself. 

Print Page | Close Window