Print Page | Close Window

I can't use Hairtopia

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50274
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 12:15am

Topic: I can't use Hairtopia
Posted By: Kimbearly
Subject: I can't use Hairtopia
Date Posted: February 09 2007 at 6:53pm
I am really bummed.  I have been using Hairtopia for a week and a half now and have been noticing a difference in my hair and skin - all good.  A week into taking it I started to develop a rash on my upper chest, neck and face.  The only thing different in my routine was the vitamins.  I then wrote down all the ingredients and noticed that the vitamins contain Potassium Iodide.  Since I have a severe but very rare Iodine allergy I can not take this supplement (which I now know).  My doctor said the rash should go away in 5 days because the supplement should be out of my system. I have not taken them for 2 days now and I am already less itchy and the rash is getting better.  I am able to get all of my money back from Hairtopia - which is great, because they are kind of pricey.  Oh, well, I tried.

Replies:
Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: February 10 2007 at 2:16am
You are right to be bummed.What are the chances of that.At least you can get your money back.I was going to suggest you try H37 But after looking at the ingredient list it has iodine in it too.You could still take fish oil and amino acid caplets if you arent already.i know those are really good for Hair and health.:)

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2007 at 10:18am
Thanks LHD, I have never heard of amino acid caplets.  I have been taking biotin, but will look into the others.  Thanks!

-------------

Posted By: Sunsailing
Date Posted: February 10 2007 at 1:15pm
I checked the GNC UltraNourishHair that I take. It also contains potassium iodide. The only problem I've had with any supplements is Niacin, which will cause my skin, especially my face, to turn red (along with a feeling of my skin becoming hot...)

Maybe you could get some of the main ingredients separately?

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 5:13pm
Bummer.  I'm sorry to hear that you developed a rash from using the product. (are you allergic to shellfish?)

Sunsailing's suggestion seems good... look for comprehensive supplements that don't have the iodine, if they exist.  Hopefully...

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 9:11am
I am not allergic to shellfish.  That's how this all started.  I had to have a C-Scan done with Iodine Uptake (Iodine through IV so it dyes your organs).  They asked me if I was allergic to shellfish and I said no.(People who are allergic to shellfish also have an allergy to Iodine.)  Shortly after I received the Iodine I began having a horrible red rash that started on my neck and then progressed to my face.  Did not think much of it, just a slight reaction to the dye.  Went home, took a nap for a couple hours, woke up because I was having trouble breathing, my face was swollen and huge and my body was covered in a burning rash that made my skin look bright red.  I looked like a monster.  After this whole ordeal which took months to go away and very high levels of prednisone, I was tested by my allergist. I was told that an IV Iodine allergy is different than a shellfish one, but it is an extremely rare allergy.   I have to wear an emergency bracelet because if I ever receive IV Iodine again my reaction will be magnified. My mother had the same reaction as me and the doctors at the University of Penn. had never seen anything like it before.  I actually diagnosed her because it was the same rash that I had a few months earlier.  They took pictures of my mother's rash for medical reference - she got a big laugh out of that one.  God bless her though because she passed away this past May from Pancreatic Cancer at the age of 67. 

-------------

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 7:07am
Thats a good point!  I am allergic to iodine (though not shellfish) and I never thought about potassium iodide in vitamins!  When I last went shopping for them, I got some at the GNC that are iodine and iron free...I didn't even think about them being iodine free, I just knew I wanted iron free and thought that if someone thought it was good to leave the iodine out, fine with me! I must have accidentally dodged a bullet!

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: February 19 2007 at 7:51pm
Odd, shellfish-allergic but no discernible adverse reaction to potassium iodide in iodized salt or any hair vitamins including HairTopia.  Hmm... 

Date Posted: February 19 2007 at 9:47pm

I am a strange one Dave - don't even try to figure me out.  I am allergic to so many things; it is just another thing to add on my list.  I did enjoy the benefits of hairtopia though - less fallout, radiant skin, stronger nails and I only used it for two weeks.  

-------------

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 8:20am
A link with some info relating iodine allergy, shellfish allergy and  eating iodized salt:  http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen22.htm - http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen22.htm

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 9:30pm
Thank you Susan for the very interesting article.  I was actually thinking the other day that I should have my two boys tested.  Since it runs in my family ,I would hate for them to have to go through a severe allergic reaction that could simply be avoided by an allergy test. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2007 at 6:31pm
That was an interesting link, Susan, thanks for finding and sharing it!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window