Print Page | Close Window

Ponytail Holders- a Burning Question...

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50287
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 12:18am

Topic: Ponytail Holders- a Burning Question...
Posted By: HaleyCake
Subject: Ponytail Holders- a Burning Question...
Date Posted: February 10 2007 at 10:19am
Hi, I just became a member, but I have been lurking around reading everyone's tips for months.  My question is this- are pontail holders really that bad for hair, as long as you don't wrap them too tight? 
Back in August, I had hair down to me waist, but I am a lifeguard and swimming lesson instructor (besides being a full-time college student and substitute teacher), and the chlorine from being in the pool all summer RUINED IT!!! (I didn't really know anything about hair care then). Added to that abuse was the fact that my hair had been chemically lightened more than a few times, and it just started breaking off from the combination. The end result? I have cut 22 inches off my hair in the last 7 months, and it is currently the shortest it has every been.
I have since that time been doing much more to protect it, and I have grown out every bit of color/chemical damage, so now I have fresh hair. But I feel like it is still going to take me forever to get it back to where it was. It is curly, wild, unruly, and I really need to find a way to pull it back that won't damage it, but I am a long way from being able to bun it again. PLEASE HELP!!! :)

Replies:
Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: February 10 2007 at 1:15pm
Hello and welcome HaleyCake! I don't belive they are that bad for hair I suppose it depends on how often you actually wear them....a substitution could possibly be some kind of hair clips or barrettes to somehow pull it back? At least until it grows back out. I don't know, just suggesting lol but when you do pull it back into a ponytail, I would not make it really tight. Enough to where it doesn't fall out every five min., but tight enough to hold it in place without damaging your hair. I know from experience that wearing one alot and tight is not good :) hth a little!

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Posted By: Sunsailing
Date Posted: February 10 2007 at 1:21pm
I use them everyday. I think the wider ones provide the least amount of stress.

The important thing is to never sleep with your hair in a ponytail. The weight of your head pushing down on where it is tied can cause the hair to break.

-------------

Posted By: hairbraider
Date Posted: February 10 2007 at 5:34pm
I agree with Sunsailing - the thicker ones are better.  They seem to have more holding power without having to be so tight.  I get the ones without metal clasps.  I think it's also important to not wear them in the same place every time.  (move your ponytail higher or lower)

-------------
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
http://hairbraider.spaces.live.com - click here to go to My Hair Space

Posted By: vivek
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 9:44am
I agree with sunsailing. the clips should be broad and should not be tight and more importantly dont go to bed with a pony tail.

male with 32 inches long hair

Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:09am
Thank you all so much for your speedy replies and help. :)

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 5:20pm
Welcome HaleyCake!  Sad to hear what happened; is it safe for me to assume you found (in your review of threads here) info on dealing with chlorinated pool water? 

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 9:10pm
Hi Dave. Yes, since that time I have found some very helpful information on how to avoid chemical/chlorine damage, and I have vowed never to cut my hair short again once I get it grown out back to where it was. Thank you for your concern! :)

Posted By: Kitty Kat
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 5:29am
Just goes to show how things work differently for everyone. For over 20 years, I've washed my hair every other night before bed and put it in a pony tail using a scrunchie. I put it in a scrunchie on the alternate nights as well, when it's dry. As I've mentioned before, my hair must be pretty strong. I don't have breakage or split ends. On the few occasions I do go to a hairdresser they always comment on how good condition my hair is in. Oh well! I guess I won't stop now since it seems to be working for me!!!!

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 7:00am
While the thicker ones certainly are better, I don't think the thin ones even do too much damage, as long as you are careful about putting them in and taking them out - not to fold hair under them, or yank on them.  I would use the ones without the little metal thing though, the ones called ouchless.  The little metal thing has scratchy ends.  

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: hairbraider
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Kitty Kat Kitty Kat wrote:

Just goes to show how things work differently for everyone. For over 20 years, I've washed my hair every other night before bed and put it in a pony tail using a scrunchie. I put it in a scrunchie on the alternate nights as well, when it's dry. As I've mentioned before, my hair must be pretty strong. I don't have breakage or split ends. On the few occasions I do go to a hairdresser they always comment on how good condition my hair is in. Oh well! I guess I won't stop now since it seems to be working for me!!!!

Scrunchies aren't as "dangerous" as the regular covered rubber bands.  They're not as likely to be damaging.  That is, unless they're made of a rough fabric that the hair will catch on.

-------------
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
http://hairbraider.spaces.live.com - click here to go to My Hair Space

Posted By: Kitty Kat
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 6:26pm
Well, that explains it Hairbraider! I remember reading that scrunchies were "out of style" but I still like them because they're good to my hair. I've seen silk and satin ones on the Internet. I suppose those would be even better yet.

Print Page | Close Window