Print Page | Close Window

Growing Out Layers

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50299
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 12:15am

Topic: Growing Out Layers
Posted By: HaleyCake
Subject: Growing Out Layers
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:12am
For those of you who are/have gone from short layered to long and all one length...
Did you trim the layers out (by trimming across the bottom) while your hair was still relatively short, or did you wait until it had gotten some significant length to it before trying to even it out? I am trying to grow out my layers, but I'm not sure if I should just wait to trim for a long time or if it is easier in the long run to do it from the start. Thanks for any help! :)

Replies:
Posted By: Kitty Kat
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:58am
Although I like the look of layers on other people, I've always found them difficult to manage on me. So I trimmed the layers out when it was shorter. I don't know if either way is better. That was just my preference.

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 5:22pm
I let some length "accumulate" (for about a year) before beginning to have the bottom layers trimmed.  It was really messy for awhile but I was patient.  (Besides, I didn't want a chin-length bob. LOL )

-------------

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 8:42pm
I remember letting it get long and messy. I didn't start trimming off the uneven ends until at least mid-back, when the ends were in a V shape. Looking back, it would have been better for me to keep up on trimming (maybe cutting off 1/2 inch every two months, or half of the growth that had accumulated).

It's up to you. Oftentimes, natural layers happen anyway because of the growth patterns of a person's hair. The hair in the front will have a shorter lifespan, compared to hair toward the back of the head.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Posted By: HaleyCake
Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 2:21pm
AnaisSatin, is the hair near your face also to tailbone-ish length, or is it mostly the back part of your hair? I guess what I'm asking is that once you evened your hair up, were you able to grow the front out really long too, or did it become uneven again? I've had shorter layers around my face for years, and I'm not even sure if that hair will grow long anymore! :)

Posted By: dolcecasa
Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 8:47pm
I sort of wish I HAD trimmed it to one length while it
was still short. Now, the longest layer is bra strap length and the shortest is just below colar bone,and now
I hate to lose any length. I wish Id done it while
shorter,it wouldnt have been so hard. Now, Im waiting till the shortest layers catch up, and having only yearly
trims. Luckily I have wavey coarse hair, so it still looks ok!
dolcecasa

Date Posted: February 21 2007 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by HaleyCake HaleyCake wrote:

AnaisSatin, is the hair near your face also to tailbone-ish length, or is it mostly the back part of your hair? I guess what I'm asking is that once you evened your hair up, were you able to grow the front out really long too, or did it become uneven again? I've had shorter layers around my face for years, and I'm not even sure if that hair will grow long anymore! :)

Hi HaleyCake

My hair length is really strange. Most of my hair really is tailbone length. but the front won't get much longer than collarbone, so I was never able to completely even everything out.

I guess it comes with the lifespan of the hair.... the closer to the crown area, the greater the maximum length will be.

Best wishes
Anais

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2007 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by dolcecasa dolcecasa wrote:

I sort of wish I HAD trimmed it to one length while it
was still short. Now, the longest layer is bra strap length and the shortest is just below colar bone,and now
I hate to lose any length. I wish Id done it while
shorter,it wouldnt have been so hard. Now, Im waiting till the shortest layers catch up, and having only yearly
trims. Luckily I have wavey coarse hair, so it still looks ok!
dolcecasa

Hi Dolcecasa,

Given the pattern in which hair tends to grow, and depending on how long you want to grow your hair, I don't think it matters if you even it out.

In 3-5 years, your entire head of hair will have fully replaced itself through shedding and growing. It'll be growing at different rates and ending at different rates, with the exception of trimming the very ends.  

Best wishes,
Anais 

-------------

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: February 21 2007 at 2:42pm
     Haley, I've noticed that even bad layer cuts (and there are many out there!) fill out and improve dramatically after several months. This happens, I believe, because each hair grows at slightly different rates, and any choppiness or sloppiness starts to blend. So, my advice is to trim only the bottom occasionally, and allow the layers to catch up. That is, if you wish to avoid going many more months or years without having that *long* feeling for yourself. Blessings, Bob Cool

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 24 2007 at 6:35pm
Since I don't trim my hair anymore (other than S&D), I have naturally layered hair; my sig pic shows iy well.  Generally, strands near the hairline (all the way around my head) don't tend to grow as long as those well within my scalp.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window