Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Short Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of short hair
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50316
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 9:21pm

Topic: Short hair suggestions, please?
Posted By: my3dogs
Subject: Short hair suggestions, please?
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:55pm
Hello,

My name is Leslie and I found this site while searching for pictures of hairstyles. I'm a little clueless about deciding what would or wouldn't look okay on me so I was hoping someone here could give me some advice on what they think. Here are a few pictures from my webcam to give you an idea about what my face shape is:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9558/lj01gv5.jpg - http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9558/lj01gv5.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4567/lj02zj6.jpg - http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4567/lj02zj6.jpg
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9075/lj03sl0.jpg - http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9075/lj03sl0.jpg
(Sorry if they look awkward... I'm not the biggest fan of having my picture taken. :)

Ah, details. I'm a petite 5' 3" 22 year old with very fine hair who often gets mistaken for someone younger (a waitress asked if I wanted the kids' special at a buffet a few months ago lol).  I had my waist length hair cut to the middle of my back last year and have been going shorter ever since then. I've discovered that I prefer short hair after having long hair for as long as I can remember, but now it is below my shoulders and I'm feeling the urge to try a new short style. The short styles also appeal to me because I feel that anything below my shoulders overwhelms my small frame, which is why my chin length bangs are pinned to the sides. I'm not sure if I want to cut my bangs or continue to grow them out...

Anyway, I would love to hear any suggestions any of you have to offer about what styles would look okay. I'm not opposed to very short/pixie/cropped styles or to trying out a new style with bangs. I look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks for your time!

Leslie

-------------
400,000 dead | 2.5 million displaced | 10,000 dying every month | savedarfur.org

Replies:
Posted By: strawberiblonde
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 11:11pm
You have a roundish face, so I wouldn't go super short.  I would try a layered bob, a little above your shoulders, with some longish bangs.  Bangs can flatter a round face as long as they aren't cut too blunt. 

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 11:32pm
Thank you for your suggestion!

My last haircut was a bob an inch above my shoulders with graduated layers and short bangs. The only problem I had with it was keeping the volume up, but that was due to my fine hair and not the fault of the cut.

My facial shape is somewhat confusing to me. Sometimes I think it looks roundish, and at other times I think it looks somewhat square or more oval. People keep telling me it is oval, but I have no idea. I guess it is a mixture between two or three.

Thanks again! I'll let you know what I decide when I get it cut in a week or so.

-------------
400,000 dead | 2.5 million displaced | 10,000 dying every month | savedarfur.org

Posted By: Rocky
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 8:39am
I think your face shape is more oval than round.  I think the round appearance is being created by the poor camera used to take the photos.  (webcam or cell phone?)

Here are a couple thoughts...

Your problems with limp hair will only be solved by using products appropriate for limp hair along with adjusting your methods of styling.  Your stylist should be able to help you with these tings if you ask.  If you keep your hair longer, I would avoid layering it too much because that removes volume and weight from your hair.  You want your hair to appear thicker, not thinner.   Try a zig-zag part and avoid bangs because they sometimes tend to make people appear younger.  Again, this is the opposite fo what you want.

I think you'd look good with a pixieish cut because that immediately solves the limp hair problem.  However, you should look at changing your makeup, jewelry, wardrobe if you do this because it may not only make you look young but also make you look like a boy.  You need to consider the larger picture of your whole style, not just your hair.  I recommend not going for the pixie unless you find a cut that you absolutely adore and are prepared to change a few other things to avoid looking too young and/or boyish.

Instead, go to a stylist for a consultation.  Tell them about your hair troubles and desires.  They may recommend a really short cut or maybe not.  If you like what they tell you, proceed.  If you don't have a good feeling about them or their advice, keep looking.  If you see someone with hair you love, ask them where they go.  Chances are, their styist will be able to give you a hairstyle you love too.

-Rocky

Posted By: Sjeanke
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 9:40am
Perhaps an inverted bobcut with a short neckline

Posted By: Heath
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:42am
Go around chin length or just below with side bangs. Your features will be enhanced with hair around your face.

Posted By: strawberiblonde
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by my3dogs my3dogs wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion!

My last haircut was a bob an inch above my shoulders with graduated layers and short bangs. The only problem I had with it was keeping the volume up, but that was due to my fine hair and not the fault of the cut.

If your hair is very fine, you might want to avoid too much layering.  But some layers around the face would be very flattering, I think.  The shorter you go with a bob, the more volume you'll have. 

Originally posted by my3dogs my3dogs wrote:

My facial shape is somewhat confusing to me. Sometimes I think it looks roundish, and at other times I think it looks somewhat square or more oval. People keep telling me it is oval, but I have no idea. I guess it is a mixture between two or three.

Thanks again! I'll let you know what I decide when I get it cut in a week or so.

Many people have a combination of shapes (hence my 'roundish' comment).  From the pictures, at least, it appears to be a rounded oval.

Posted By: Snipette
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 5:24pm
I'd have to suggest a crop. It doesn't have to be super short, but would make your hair appear and feel thinker.  There are a number of good styles around. Just look at Kylie.

Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 11:38pm
Rocky - Yes, I took the pictures with a poor excuse for a webcam. I guess I got what I paid for since it seems to be a discontinued model I bought on sale at Wal-Mart a few years back.

I think I'm going to do what you suggested about asking the stylist for advice on what products I should use on my hair. The place I've been going to tends to weigh my hair down with too much product, so I'm going to try a different salon this time and see what they suggest. At least my hair has grown out enough that I could get rid of most of the layers. I also started putting epsom salt in my shampoo to help with the volume a bit.

As for the makeup... I'm not a huge fan of putting a lot of makeup on my face. I've recently begun wearing eye makeup, and sometimes blush, to go with the usual lip gloss or lip balm.

Thank you for all your help! I'll continue to look for hairstyles I like until I can see what the stylist suggests.

Sjeanke & Heath - Thank you both for your suggestions! I think I would like something down to my chin or shorter, but I'm still debating about the bangs. You see, I have a rather small head and sometimes bangs seem to overwhelm my face. I don't think you can tell in the photo, though. Maybe bangs just haven't suited me in the past because the stylist didn't cut them in the most flattering way to suit my face.

strawberiblonde - I always thought more layers would add more volume, though I can see now why that isn't true. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Snipette - It does sound tempting to just have it cut off. I felt a strong desire to cut it off myself the other night. Luckily I was able to resist because I knew what a huge mess I'd make if I did it myself. A crop sounds like a lovely suggestion, though, thanks!

Were you referring to Kylie Minogue?

-------------

Posted By: Snipette
Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 12:45pm
Yes i was refering to Kylie as she had a lovely short crop several weeks ago.

Never worry about just cutting it off if you really get fed up with it, you can always lie and say you got drunk with a friend and she offered to do it for you.  I'm sure it won't be the first time the stylist has heard that Wink

If you do go for the crop, post some pictures so i can see how good it will look on you Smile

Posted By: Claude
Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 7:00pm
Definately go with bangs and I don't think side bangs would work very well for you! You have somewhat of an oblong face and your forehead stands out when your hair is pulled back. Wispy bangs a very small section and possibly a chin length bob for length. If you have your hair layered  don't have it layered too much because your hair is so thin if it's layered too much the perimeter of the haircut would lack definition in the overall shape detracting from your complete image.

The chin length bob would give you a more oval sillhouette and that is what all women strive for.

Cheers

Posted By: mikecuts
Date Posted: February 17 2007 at 6:29am
Leslie
Hi, Do you have a [icture that is of your side. Its helpfull when you see the whole picture for suggestions of a cut. I have clients bring me a picture of a style they like but seeing more than one pose sure does help. If I was to cut your hair for you I would suggest that you bring the cut forward to chin lentgh. The back does not need to be short but would help in movement. I also would texturize the sides at the ends and have them just below the ear. Bangs? Yes... Side part the hair and slice into them to meet your length at the sides. On the top in the back crown area  I would add some shorter layers to give your hair lift. Give it a thought and let us know
Mike

Print Page | Close Window