Print Page | Close Window

Need some S&D Tips

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50326
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 12:26am

Topic: Need some S&D Tips
Posted By: SpecialKitty
Subject: Need some S&D Tips
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 6:07pm
I finally purchased some very sharp special scissors specifically for cutting my hair. But my hair grows VERY slowly, so I've pledged to only do S&D (search and destroy to remove split ends). I need some hints and tips for how to do this, though. What is the best lighting to see the splits? Is it best to cut straight across or on a diagonal? Do you isolate sections of hair in specific way? How do you find splits that are farther up the hair shaft?

I always assumed this would be self-explanatory, but when I sat down to do it I was sort of stumped!

Thanks!!

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: hairbraider
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:15pm
I believe generally one would take a small section (about 1 inch)  of hair and twist it, some of the ends will stick out, snip off the ones that are split.  Cut straight across.  Natural light and a dark background.

My own hair has sooo many splits that this method doesn't get near all of them.  So instead of twisting, I curl the piece of hair around my finger so more ends are visible.  I only dusted my hair thoroughly one time - it took over 4 hours.  Since then, I just go over the worst sections from time to time.

-------------
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
http://hairbraider.spaces.live.com - click here to go to My Hair Space

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 7:12am
I don't really do the twisting method either because I feel it can hide some of the splits.  I just hold some hair out when I'm in good light (sun works best for me, though I imagine that can vary with different hair colors - I also hold it over a dark background).  I do a section of hair, then either clip it up when its done, or move it out of the way.  I check as far up the hair that I can see so I can cut the high up ones (but be careful not to overdo it, only cut things that are truly split, or you could wind up with a halo of short hairs.)

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:29am
Great advice, Susan and Hairbraider - thanks a lot. Thumbs%20Up I'm going to give it a go this weekend. Now that my hair is almost armpit length, I am starting to see a lot of splits......

-------------

Posted By: HaleyCake
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 10:21am
I think it is great that you have decided to forego the beautician and take matters into your own hands. When I grew my hair out to my waist a year+ ago, S&D was the method I used. Until I did this, I didn't realize my hair grew an inch a month- I had been going to hairdressers every eight weeks, and a "one inch" trim was always 2 inches or more. I am sure you will see some amazing growth if you decide that S&D will work for you. I always enjoyed doing it while sitting down watching TV. That way, you have something to do during commercial breaks! Good luck on your hair journey! :)

Posted By: Astarte
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 8:30pm
I just wanted to second the natural lighting, and add two more options that I have found very successful:

1) Computer screen (open on a blank page) for background; and
2) fluorescent lighting at school. 

You can see how I get easily distracted when bored...(it becomes an addiction, I almost /want/ to find a split end just so I can destroy it).

edit: be careful about that first option actually, you could hurt your eyes. 

Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 11:14am
Great tips, all!!! Thank you so much.

I am slowly but surely eliminating my splits Star

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 10:33am
Ooooh, Dave Decker, looks like you were answering some threads today??? Anyway, I was really hoping you'd weigh in on this issueTongue

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 24 2007 at 6:27pm
Well Kitty, I didn't know what to add to this topic (that hasn't already been answered).

Natural sunlight (early morning or late afternoon) works best for me.  I always position the scissor tips so that I only trim the one offending end I've got my eye on.  Also, I don't twist a section -- I just hold up a loose bunch of it, as Susan described.

HTH!

-------------

Posted By: lola32
Date Posted: March 07 2007 at 8:41pm
 astarte i agree with you it does become an addiction. I have the bad habit of doing it while im at work. When I notice split ends on people I always get the urge to get a pair of scissors and and trim them . weird i know.

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: March 11 2007 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by lola32 lola32 wrote:

astarte i agree with you it does become an addiction. I have the bad habit of doing it while im at work. When I notice split ends on people I always get the urge to get a pair of scissors and and trim them . weird i know.

Yah, there are some urges we just don't give in to... Wink

Posted By: lola32
Date Posted: March 12 2007 at 5:16pm
Tongue i agree.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window