Print Page | Close Window

Mayo vs. Jojoba

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50374
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 12:22am

Topic: Mayo vs. Jojoba
Posted By: gypsydoll
Subject: Mayo vs. Jojoba
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 9:36am
Ok, I just read some messages about the mayo treatment (with the bag on the head and all) and it got me thinking. 
Can anyone compare the results of mayo against jojoba oil for me.
Does one treatment offer
better shine?
less tangles?
healthier ends?
repair damamge?
I'm wondering if the extra work of the mayo is worth the results, or do you like it more for the "pampering" fun of it.Wink

I just started using jojoba on a regular basis three weeks ago and I love the ease of using it as well as the results.  I am getting less tangles and a great shine.  I'm even using it on my daughter as a pre-treatment before washing.  I'm hoping I can prevent damage before it starts so she won't ever have to ever cut her hair!

-------------
Jen, (1a/f/ii)

Replies:
Posted By: Astarte
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 8:27pm
It likely varies from head to head.  I'd say mayo for shine, although jojoba doesn't exactly dull the hair. 
Overall I personally would pick the latter.  I might be biased though, I've always associated mayonnaise with head lice treatment in elementary school (you could also tell who had had lice by who had the shiniest, healthiest looking hair!)
Why not try both?  just see what works for you.

All the best.

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 8:38am
I wouldn't think of it as an "either or", they are both nice and they do different things.  The jojoba can be worn around all the time as a leave-in conditioner, the mayo is an intense moisturizing treatment you'd wash out.  The mayo's vinegar does things the jojoba doesn't, like help with clarifying ever-so-slightly.  Why not do both?

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Alisa06
Date Posted: February 16 2007 at 12:13pm
I use both. I am trieing to mayo a couple times a month. I may do it more if I feel like I need it. I use jojoba oil almost every day as a leave-in conditioner, also as a pre-wash treatment. I love both of them. My hair gets really shiny with extended use of jojoba oil. I can tell when I have been lazy and not used it for a few days.

I also use jojoba oil and mayo on my daughter's hair. She is 6 and wants to have hair like Rapunzel! Big%20smileI figure that she can have super long hair if she wants, but she will need to learn to take care of it properly. WHen I use mayo in our hair it really helps with body, as well as shine and texture.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: CalliaNatane
Date Posted: February 24 2007 at 1:50pm
What do you do with the mayonaise, like how do you use it????

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2007 at 9:53am
I put some in an old conditioner bottle so it would be easier to apply, then soak my hair with it, put  a plastic bag on to both he;p with drips and seal in heat. I leave it on for at leat an hour, and wash out normally. 

It is a really good deep conditioner.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: gypsydoll
Date Posted: February 25 2007 at 8:21pm
Thanks to everyone for the responses.  I get the feeling that if I need a deep conditioning, try a mayo treatment.
Otherwise, I've been using the jojoba daily and have seen an astronomical difference in my hair.
I do say, I have to keep it off my scalp, it makes me break-out.

-------------
Jen, (1a/f/ii)

Date Posted: February 26 2007 at 8:28am

I just naturally keep it off my scalp. I don't realy mean to, it is just that I have alot of hair, so I only put it from my ears down and slightly on the top. Anyway, since I have cut down on the amount of actual shampoos I do a week, I have not had any problems with a dry scalp. When I use jojoba as a leave-in, I ony use it on the ends and a little bit on the very top, outer layer  on the sides and back. I love jojba oil.  I hav enot been using it as I normally do this last week or so, and I did yesterday, and WOW what a difference! Some times I think ," oh I don't need to do it just this once." But thenI get out of habit, and I am very mucha creature of habit.LOL 

Sorry for the long post.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Print Page | Close Window