Print Page | Close Window

I want to go shorter, but how much shorter?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Short Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of short hair
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50791
Printed Date: May 29 2024 at 4:44pm

Topic: I want to go shorter, but how much shorter?
Posted By: starbuck_1979
Subject: I want to go shorter, but how much shorter?
Date Posted: March 05 2007 at 9:26pm
I have a pixie cut that has grown out a little. It's now about 3 inches on the top and about 2 to 2 1/2 around the sides and the back. I figured that since it is this short, I might as well go shorter. I am apprehensive as my hair is fine and not very thick and I don't want to take it shorter only to look like a plucked chicken.

I was thinking to go as short as an inch on the backs and sides and maybe 2 inches on the top.

Suggestions?

Replies:
Posted By: Rocky
Date Posted: March 06 2007 at 12:03pm

You're only considering cutting another inch.    Why not try it?   If it looks really bad, it will be back to it's current length in about a month. 

If you still can't decide, flip a coin. 

Posted By: Heath
Date Posted: March 06 2007 at 12:33pm
You already have short short hair. If it looks good another inch shouldn't change things. If it doesn't look good, it'll grow back quickly. Cutting 12, 6, or 3 inches might be a tough call, but this decision shouldn't be.

You might grow your hair out in the future and never have it this short again. Take the opportunity to do anything you've ever wanted to do in color or cut. It'll grow out in a month or two.

Date Posted: March 06 2007 at 7:47pm
Well, you are both quite right. An inch or two more won't make much of a difference and even if it did, it would grow out in no time.

Actually I did have about 13 inches cut off 2 months ago. So I am still getting use to the short length. It was a pretty drastic move to cut it all off and go really, really short. I love it though!

Posted By: xxxzvp
Date Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:22am
My wife wore her hair at about your current length for a couple of years, and it looked ok. Then about six months ago she went shorter, the back and sides are clipper cut with a #3 guard, and the top is about an inch. The difference is subtle, but without her bangs hanging down to her eyes, and the overall weight of her previous cut she looks years younger. her blue eyes pop out now, where with the old cut she hardly stood out in a crowd.

Posted By: demodoll
Date Posted: April 11 2007 at 8:36pm
I have really fine hair and I keep it very short.  I really love it and probably won't ever go back to longer hair.  If you do this just be sure you have the right styling products to get the look you want.  If you just want to wash and go I don't think cutting it any more would be a good idea.  If you don't mind using styling products for a kind of texturized, piecy look then the shorter cut will be much easier to manage and looks very good.

-------------
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: April 11 2007 at 10:18pm
So .... what did you end up doing?

-------------
HAWG

Date Posted: April 11 2007 at 11:19pm
I did have it cut a week after the post. It was 2 inches on the top when I cut it and 1 1/2 inches around the sides and back. Of course, that was 3 weeks ago and my hair grows out pretty fast so it's much longer now.

Which means I get to go get it trimmed again pretty soon. I LOVE getting my hair cut.

Date Posted: April 11 2007 at 11:39pm
Hey Demodoll, thanks for your post.

I also loved my short hair after cutting it. What styling products are you using for your hair right now? I am using the BedHead Hard to Get and it's absolutely perfect for creating that piecy sort of look.

Posted By: demodoll
Date Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:12am
I like Jonathan Dirt and Kenra 25 hairspray.  My hair will stay all day unless it gets wet.

-------------
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: April 12 2007 at 9:00pm
Thanks for the update; I too love getting my haircut.

-------------
HAWG

Print Page | Close Window