Print Page | Close Window

Is this true?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50877
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 12:19am

Topic: Is this true?
Posted By: julesyjul88
Subject: Is this true?
Date Posted: March 09 2007 at 2:24am
I read on another forum (bellaonline) from a hair stylist that it is actually normal to shed 50 hairs just by showering and drying.Then 50 more hairs through out the day.
Can this be right? I only lose a couple hairs in the shower and when blowdrying. 50 seems like kinda alot.

Replies:
Posted By: Kitty Kat
Date Posted: March 09 2007 at 5:26am
I only lose a few too, especially after buying my new combs. But I've been told the same thing by hairdressers throughout the years...it's normal to lose 100 hairs a day.

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: March 09 2007 at 6:59am
Yes, its normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day.  I have always shed a lot, since my early teens, and I'd say judging by my brush and my shower drain I probably lose the full 100.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: March 09 2007 at 7:40am
It does seem like alot,but its very normal.I think I only lose 50 hairs a day,but my hair is kinda on the thin side.My DH on the other hand sheds enough hair to give someone a hair transplant.But his hair is crazy thick.So I think it might be based on how much hair you have.Especially since the hair that is shed is being replaced.

-------------

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: March 09 2007 at 1:41pm
It is normal to shed 100 hairs a day. My shedding varies and is affected by stress, hormones, and some shampoos and conditioners.

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: March 10 2007 at 12:22pm
I wash my hair once a week, and on those days I lose a lot of strands.  I once counted the total of before, during and after (during I stick them on the shower wall)... 172!  I think it's usually somewhat less than that, but 100 on those days seems fairly accurate.  The fallout is always much lower for at least a day or two afterwards, though.

-------------

Posted By: julesyjul88
Date Posted: March 10 2007 at 2:46pm
Thanks for all the responses. Longhairdreams,my husband is the same.His brush usually looks like a small animal,LOL.
Seems like days when I dont shampoo there is less shedding.

Dave,maybe since you only shampoo once a week that is why you seem to lose so much~cuz the hair you would normally lose everyday doesnt come out until you shampoo.

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: March 10 2007 at 3:21pm
Note that for normal heads of hair, meaning those not experiencing some sort of illness or hair loss etc, that there are between 90,000 and 150,000 hairs.

So 100 hairs times 365 days means you could shed 36,500 hairs in a year and still be left with 55,000 or more. Not to mention that normal shedding is a result of hair being shed and then replaced with a new baby hair. So you aren't actually going from 90,000 to 55,000. You just have a blend of really long and baby hairs and in between. The longer your hair is the more various the blend is going to be.

I always say if you are scared about hair loss see a doctor and make sure you note everything you've been doing or taking or take and then stop taking.

I also say that if you are seeing clumps of shed hair first think about the way you've been wearing your hair. If you've been wearing it up or secured in some way then those 100 hairs per day won't be able to fall to the ground as a few hairs at a time.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: hairbraider
Date Posted: March 10 2007 at 3:56pm
Mine sheds alot at once too (though I've never taken the time to count them).  Because my hair is curly, I don't comb it out or even run my fingers through it every day.  It destroys the curl pattern and makes for a really big frizzy mess. Wacko  So I only comb it on wash days, which is usually twice a week.  And because of the curls, most of the fall-out doesn't actually fall free, but stays there till I comb it.  I get a good handful from combing and maybe 20 more during washing.  Then more comes out as I apply gel and everything.  So I really can't get an accurate daily count.  I must say, though, that my fall-out is alot less than it has been in past years.  Possibly my health is better now.

-------------
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
http://hairbraider.spaces.live.com - click here to go to My Hair Space

Posted By: gypsydoll
Date Posted: March 10 2007 at 8:37pm

I've been told about shedding 100 strands a day, as well.  And I tell you what, 100 strands of hair as long as some of ours looks like sooooo much more than 100 strands of short hair!Wacko 

my husband always says it looks like a small dog in the drain trap after I take a shower....

-------------
Jen, (1a/f/ii)

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: March 11 2007 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by julesyjul88 julesyjul88 wrote:

Dave,maybe since you only shampoo once a week that is why you seem to lose so much~cuz the hair you would normally lose everyday doesnt come out until you shampoo.

Exactly.  And the fallout increases as the days since last wash pass...

Posted By: lola32
Date Posted: March 12 2007 at 5:12pm
Good to know. I would freak out when I would see tons of hair on my brush when I would comb my hair.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window