Print Page | Close Window

Hair stereotypes - input wanted!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: General Hair Talk
Forum Description: A free wheeling discussion of hair related topics.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5204
Printed Date: June 01 2024 at 4:44am

Topic: Hair stereotypes - input wanted!
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Hair stereotypes - input wanted!
Date Posted: September 24 2001 at 5:05pm
Hi all,

I`m in the prep stages of writing a novel, and am trying to characterise my characters with distinct hairstyles. My question is, what are the stereotypes associated with different hairstyles? Particularly curly/straight? All I can think of is that perhaps curly-haired types are perceived of as troublemakers or clowns, or perhaps more individualists. Short, well groomed hair could indicate a straight-laced person, and red hair might be associated, again, with many of the curly haired stereotypes. And fair hair might be seen as innocent or angelic. Can anyone else think of other stereotypes? What would be the stereotypical style of an innocent person? An evil character? A temptress?

Also, while I`m playing twenty questions.. I`m thinking of incorporating a haircut-as-sensuality scene in the story, but I know that the standard population doesn`t have the tolerance for that like we hair enthusiasts. Any suggestions on level of depth or technique in a haircut scene?

Thanks for any input!

Replies:
Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: September 25 2001 at 4:06pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP804060353&id=2694&page=1#21.2694.1 - 21.2694.1
I believe the temptress should be the long, curly red haired women.
The innocent should be the blonde with a chin length bob with short bangs (women) or a blonde curly hair top with close shaved sides (guy)
The evil character should have dark (jet black) hair - long and straight for a women and longish, messy with a beard for a guy.

I think there are more than you think that would be turned on by a haircut - sensuality scene. Just incorporate the cut into the sex part. You know... the blonde tresses fell gently on her naked breasts.....oh well, you are the writer....

-------------

Posted By: Shery
Date Posted: September 26 2001 at 5:19pm
The innocent woman character should have long blond hair like Alice in Wonderland. The evil woman should have a short severe cut.

-------------
Once i know who I`m not then I`ll know who i am. ~alanis morissette~