Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=52358
Printed Date: June 27 2024 at 12:41pm

Topic: Highlighting Help Please!
Posted By: Drazen
Subject: Highlighting Help Please!
Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 3:36pm
Hi,

I have medium-dark (naturally), wavy, hair that is in long layers a few inches past my shoulders. The current color of my hair is brassy b/c I tried highlighting it. I have been highlighting my hair for years b/c my neighbor growing up was a hair stylist and taught both my mom and me to do it. So, I am usually happy with the way the hightlights look, but not the color. I recently tried a Loreal product that is made specifically for darker hair, and although it was better the the previous Loreal product I used, the highlights were not light enough and again, are too brassy. In the past I have corrected this by coloring over the highlights with anywhere from a dark to light ash blond. However, I want to stop coloring and just highlight. My goal is to have nice, white(ish) highlights in my naturally brown hair. I have come to the realization that drug store products are not strong enough to do this. I looked on Sally's website and saw numerous proucts, and solutions of varying strengths. I also looked into toners. My questions are:

What would be the best products to use to get the look I want?
What strength should I use (10-40?)
What toner would be better, blue or violet (the color I have now is between an orange and yellow)?
What toner is gentlest and lasts the longest?

TIA

Print Page | Close Window