Print Page | Close Window

Worst cut in my LIFE...

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=53101
Printed Date: May 16 2024 at 9:51pm

Topic: Worst cut in my LIFE...
Posted By: JB521
Subject: Worst cut in my LIFE...
Date Posted: May 25 2007 at 7:48pm
Angry

So I finally decided to grow out my hair from a bob to long, long, long. Realizing it requires commitment and perseverance.....I married myself to the idea, went to the salon, told my stylist of my intentions and she informed to only clip ends every 8-10 weeks (just the tippy tip). I get through the first 10 weeks, go in, she only nips the very ends.....it looked great as if I was all shaped up and ready to wait it out again.

I go in today, have no idea where her head was.....trusted her, she kept taking phone calls and kept CUTTING. I had no IDEA until a piece fell in front of me that I was bing HACKED!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! ALL I have done in the last 20 weeks is un flippin DONE! I am so angry right now I cannot even talk. I probably need to calm myself and add to this in the morning. I am beyond pissed OFF!

Replies:
Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 4:42pm
     Angry What happened to you, JB, is outrageous and inexcusable!! I hope you refused to pay her. The only consolation is that you learned a valuable lesson while your hair was only getting moderately long. I've known women who have had hackers "trim" loads of length, one 16" (!), when she asked for a 2" off. If you haven't confronted this careless incompetent, I hope you can gather the nerve to tell her in person how unhappy you are, and that you will tell all your friends to avoid her. IF you ever go back to a salon, bring a friend, and the minute you cease to be the stylist's *total* focus, walk out. Even in the midst of a cut! Set the groundrules in advance.
     Now, think positive, and remind yourself that you can take measures to assure that this will never happen again. Blessings, Bob Wink

Posted By: stargazer026
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 11:46pm

God hairdressers suck dont worry we've all been through the same kinda thing their a bunch of bitches arnt they!! last time I went to the hairdresser only got a color no cut thank god but they couldnt even do that right I wanted blonde streaks and ended up with bright orange ones like Im not gonna notice shes tried to put toner over the top then she tried to blow dry it patheticly so I took the blow dryer off her and dried it myself must have lookd so funny.... I went to pay and said all your getting is $50 and started to go off my head  they were trying to charge $190 for the color and streaks in the end he said he didnt want my money and to come back after and get them to fix it there was no way I was going back there so I payed them nothing and I ended up going to another salon and getting it fixed ..I despise hairdresser's .

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: May 27 2007 at 12:01pm
That's very sad, JB521. Cry I've been there myself.  At the start of my quest to grow out my hair.  I went back to the salon, asked him why he chopped.  "Because that's how you always want it" and "it was too bushy in back."  Bear in mind, I was very clear in my instructions, and he acknowledged them, before the cut began.

I stayed away from salons for almost a year, then nervously went into one that specialized in long hair.  I consider myself lucky that one existed where I lived at the time.

My hair eventually grew out, though.  Just took a half a year longer than originally hoped.  Chin up, stay away from salons, and by the end of the year, things will be better.

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2007 at 11:03am

Thanks you guys, somehow I do feel better......but am an IDIOT as I did pay for it....no tip, but I payed for the cut. I don't know where to go for shape-ups through this....I thought if I picked a stylist that has "long" hair she wouldn't flip-out and try to keep me in this old bobbed cut. Is there a way I can just leave it alone with no trims at all and still look OK??

I had it kind of stacked in the back at the nape and a few layers through the sides and top......she's the one that told me to wait it out for 10 weeks to make some headway on the growth....she probably just wanted to ca$h me out in the meantime. Dave......should I just leave it alone and let it grow? I absolutely wanted to punch her in the face I was so angry....that's psycho, I know but I swear to GOD I did want to. $$$ won't bring it back but I'm calling tomorrow to speak to the Manager.....I want my money back......then I want to just leave it alone. I don't care if I start looking like a puff-ball, I want the hair you guys have!

Date Posted: May 28 2007 at 4:42pm
I suppose you could grow it for awhile.  If (when?) you tire of the stacked shape you could find a different stylist just to even up the sides with the back (nothing off the back)... and just let it grow from there until it's the length you want.  The challenge is finding a stylist who is honorable and respectful and treats you as a client (respecting your wishes) instead of treating you like a ca$h machine.  If/when you do have the sides evened, talk with that stylist to gauge whether or not s/he might be suitable to give you periodic micro-trims as you grow.

I wish you "good luck" on getting the money back from the salon manager.  I agree that you deserve to have the money returned because the stylist did not honor your stated wishes (not even close) -- but don't be surprised if the manager refuses your request.  If it happens, my suggestion is to just let it go, walk out and leave the bad karma behind.  You'll never see that shop again in your life, and they know it too.  That's just plain bad business on their part, and if they (the stylist and the manager) were actually professional, they would be trying to keep you as a client.  But I suspect that notion is merely wishful thinking.

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2007 at 7:22pm

Thank you, Dave.

I hear you loud and clear. I need to set myself back toward and onwards toward  my GOAL. I'm not caring if the $$ is back or not. My hair is my concern and growing it out.

I appreciate you answering me and the direction.

Thank you--

Julia

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: May 29 2007 at 11:03am
      One point I'd like to make, Julia: I would not assume that she *intentionally* hacked your hair, esp. in light of her advice that you wait longer between trims. (Not long enough, IMO, but that's another matter.) During your first visit, she may have only been trying to gain your confidence, but I think that most likely her phone calls distracted her, and she simply forgot your instructions. And once one careless snip had been made, she probably figured that she may as well finish this and maybe Julia won't notice or be upset. WRONG! 
     Both times my wife got butchered during her first long hair foray, the stylists suffered from arrogance. They knew better! I must admit that both cutters were very talented, but they are the *employee*! I was furious, but said nothing, the first time b/c I thought it was out of line to question a "professional", the other b/c she was a family friend. But, God help the person who ever would give my DW an unwanted chop now. No violence, but their fingers would quiver before they'd think of doing it to another client! One does indeed have the right to express one's anger.  But, no worry for me; no one gets the chance to trim MY wife's locks anymore except me.  Wink Hugs, Bob 

Posted By: Mike46019
Date Posted: May 31 2007 at 9:02am
JB521 maybe you can find a friend that is good with hair? When you think you need a trim? There are a lot of groups out there with men and women with long hair or growing it out like you maybe you can find someone near you that could help you when needed? Good luck with your grow out. Mike.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Date Posted: May 31 2007 at 6:26pm

Thank you Mike....that's a great idea! I never thought of that !!!Smile

I know EXACTLY who I can ask, if anyone knows a bad-cut and failed expectations, she does....my sister-in-law with hair past her a-- (finally)!

Thank you Thank you! THATS who can do it!

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: June 04 2007 at 8:27am
That is good you know someone you trust.  If she's ever not around, you can also trim your own once its around shoulder blade length. Feye's method:  http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/ - http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

Every 8-10 weeks is a bit short to keep trimming it.  If your hair grows at the average rate, that's only 1/2 inch a month, so you really can't trim too much too frequently or you just lose all your growth. 

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: HopeB
Date Posted: June 04 2007 at 2:33pm
In defense of hairstylists, saying "I just want a trim" can mean a lot of very different things, depending on the individual. Sort of like going to a paint store and saying "I want blue paint," you could end up with baby blue, periwinkle, indigo, navy, etc....
My suggestion would be to always bring in photos of your goal style & length, even if you're far from it, so the hairstylist knows what you're going for. After all, "I'm growing my hair out" can also be pretty vague--do you want your hair a few inches longer or a few feet? Those are drastically different goals that you might want to make clear. After all, if your aim is waist-length hair, you're going to be very upset over losing ANY length, but if the stylist thinks your goals are more modest, like growing out a short shag into a chin-length bob, he or she doesn't necessarily know that a 1/2 inch will be a major setback for you!  Most importantly, always indicate exactly what your desired length is by pointing to it--rather than saying a 1/2 inch or something, as that can even be tricky. It's not as if the stylist has a ruler!

I'd also be clear about what you want the haircut to DO exactly--that is especially important if your growing out lots of layers, as opposed to a blunt cut. Tell the hairstylist if you want to blunt cut the bottom/longest layers so the shorter ones can catch up, or if you don't mind the longest layers being wispy/shaggy, for example.  If you want to keep your bangs or not, or face-framing layers, etc....
Being clear about all these issues can prevent your hair from being "lost in translation"!

Date Posted: June 04 2007 at 6:46pm
I fully concur, HopeB.  It is incumbent upon both the client and the hairstylist to ensure that the client's wishes are expressed and understood (respectively).  And then the stylists responsibility to ensure that the plan, once agreed upon, is carried out to specification.

Posted By: Alisa06
Date Posted: June 08 2007 at 10:40pm

Hi, JB521,

Welcome! I am so sorry to hear about what has happened to you. Hug I know no words can express how you are feeling. I only hope you can find comfort in the fact that it will grow back. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it will.

I had a stylist friend of mine "trim" my hair for me last fall. I had waist length hair that hit the top of my jeans. I asked for 1 inch off the ends and 3 inches up layered .She even asked me to show her on her comb, to be sure. She cut off 8 -12 inches!The sides would not even stay behind my shoulders Angry !So believe me, you are not along. I found solace in the knowledge that no on else would ever cut my hair again. I bought a good pair of hair scissors, and do my own trims.
My mom said something to me at the time that helped a little.. What she told me was... at least I had hair. At least I wasn't going through chemo, or had a disease where I could not grow any hair.It will take time, but some day all will be right again, and you will be all the wiser for it.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: June 09 2007 at 10:24am

Hi Alisa...

Wow....thanks for sharing your story.....my situation isn't so bad then....I'm just starting to grow out.....yours was so long!  By the way, your hair is SO pretty.....

I was going to ask my sister in law to do my trims/shaping until I get where I want to be.....but I think I should just leave it alone for a good while. Your Mom's right.....I'm lucky to even have hair at all. (She still pisses me off though......I've been going to her f-o-r-e-v-e-r) all she always said was "you look so cute in short hair" 

Oh well.....I have a long road ahead of me     Disapprove

Date Posted: June 09 2007 at 10:44am

Thank you so much! Unless your hair is damaged, I wouldn't do any trims for quite a while. I think people put trimming on a much higher pedestal than needed. When it gets longer, you can do a search and destroy method of trimming.

I know you are still mad, You trusted her and she totally paid no attention to what you wanted Broken%20HeartIt sounds like she just had a thought of what would look good on you.The gal who cut my hair, knew me personally, so you would have thought she would have known better. I forgot to say that knot only did she cut so much off, but she took the razor to it from my shoulders down.!  I cried for three days straight, and was quite depressed for several weeks.Cry
I actually was somewhat surprised at how I responded. It led me to find this site, and learn so much more about hair. So, in a weird way, it was a good thing.Just keep picturing in your mind what the end result will be. I bet you will have gorgeous hair!Hug

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: Seraphina
Date Posted: June 11 2007 at 5:21pm
This is awful.  Hairdressers have a thing about long hair, they just don't seem to like it in my opinion.  I have now quit hairdressers and am trimming my hair myself.  I feel a lot happier this way. :)

I hope your hair grows back quickly and that you will find another solution regarding the trimming. :)

Date Posted: June 14 2007 at 6:18pm

Hi there Seraphina.... Yeah, I've decided to let it be......just let it GROW till Christmas. I guess 6 months will only be 3 inches (maybe?) but it'll be 3 inches closer to where I want it. I wish there were a way I could shape it up myself.....but because it's coming from a layered kinda Bob, I would not know how to do it. I just can't flat iron it to death because that will jack me up with damage and split ends.....I think? My hair looks way better when I iron all the crinkles and frizz out.....but I can't do it if I plan tto just let it go with no trims. Even a baby trim will set me back I think.....

Date Posted: June 15 2007 at 5:38pm

Just let it grow back layered! I'm sure it will look great :)  My own hair is poker straight and very fine unfortunately.  I had it short once and just grew it to a tidy length and then had it cut all one length.  It's not perfectly straight the way I trim it, but since I wear it up it doesn't matter.  On the other hand, just because you had one bad experience doesn't mean it will happen again with another hairdresser.  Perhaps after you regain some decent length you can discuss with a recommended hairdresser your last problem and then after you've had a trim you can just tend to it yourself.

Date Posted: June 16 2007 at 12:16am
This is just my personal experience, but the last 5 times I have had my hair done by a "professional" it has been hacked off. I just turned 30, and I have been trying to grow my hair to my tail bone since I was 20! Every single time I will go to someone who is recommended, ask for "just the tips, or 1 inch max" and every single time I get," well you needed a little more off", I thought a little more layered up would look better. It doesn't matter what I say, They do what they deem right.

We have had this discussion before, so I won't get into it again, but I think you will find that most people here have had pretty similar experiences. Now they either do their own trims, or have a trusted someone do it for them. All for very good reasons. 

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: June 16 2007 at 10:39am
Well it's been my experience as well which is why I no longer go there myself.  Hairdressers just don't seem to like long hair and of course they probably get more money off someone who goes regularly for styling and sets.  They don't seem to know what an inch looks like and of course they say you need more than that off.  I remember once I asked only for half an inch off and the hairdresser really embarrassed me by saying out loud "is that ALL you what off?"  She did nothing complain about it and so eventually I quit going.

Once I went to one hairdresser in Cardiff and she did my trim really really nice, but when I went there again I saw someone else, she wasn't there and my hair ended back up to my shoulders.

I was not a happy cookie :(

Unfortunately some people though will never get really long hair no matter how long they leave it, I'm one of those people :(

I just have to make the most of what I've got.  At least it is staying the same length rather than ending up back to my shoulders. :)

Date Posted: June 16 2007 at 11:48am
I hope you don't mind my asking, but why do you think you won't get really long hair? Is it just not growing any more, or just not very fast? Have you had it longer before?Is it that it keeps getting cut? How long is it now?
 I hope you don't mind all the questions, but unless you have reached yout genetically pre-determined terminal length, you should be able to grow long hair.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: June 17 2007 at 2:32pm
Hey Alisa-
Do you know anything about Infusium 23 leave in treatment? A lady at the Gym just told me that if I want my hair to really really grow quick that I should spray that in my hair every day after shampooing. I don't wash my hair every day...more like every other day...and evry other one of my washes I only use conditioner to wash it.  I can't imagine that a leave in conditioner would make my hair grow........maybe make it less prone to frizz and heat damage, but.....what do you know about it?

Thanks!!  Smile

Date Posted: June 17 2007 at 9:34pm
Well, right off the bat, I would have to say that looking at the ingredient listing, I would stay away from it. The second listed ingredient is a silicone, listed only after water. I have not tried infusium 23 in over 13 yrs, and then I only tried it one time. I did not like it then, so I never tried it again. Some people like silicones, some do not. I personally do OK with 1, but any more, and my hair goes way to straight and flat. With the one, I want it to be as close to the bottom of the ingredient list as possible.
As far as making you hair grow faster, I didn't see anything that would achieve this, but I am not an expert. I know that some essential oil, like peppermint, have been known to help hair grow by helping with blood circulation.
Maybe She really likes the way her hair responds to the infusium 23, each head of hair responds to products differently. I would say to try it, if it interests you, just makes sure that if you use a product with silicones, that you use a clarifying shampoo every once in a while. This will clean the silicones off.Silicones will build up on the hair shaft, and coat it,basically ending up starving the hair underneath. I have heard that some people have had hair brake off from silicone build up, because it just gets so brittle and dry underneath all the silicone layers.
I hope this answers your question.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

I hope you don't mind my asking, but why do you think you won't get really long hair? Is it just not growing any more, or just not very fast? Have you had it longer before?Is it that it keeps getting cut? How long is it now?
 I hope you don't mind all the questions, but unless you have reached yout genetically pre-determined terminal length, you should be able to grow long hair.

To answer your question I believe my hair to be genetically at it's terminal length now.  I have never had very long hair.  It's about BSL.  Staying around this length now owing to the fact I'm trimming it myself to tidy it up, about every two to three months.  Hairdressers would cut a lot more off.  I'm one of those people who could leave my hair for two years or more without cutting it at all and it wouldn't get any longer, only scraggy, so it's best to do some trimming to tidy it up.  I was surprised at how well I trimmed my hair last time, it looked really good :)

Print Page | Close Window