Print Page | Close Window

Should you wash your hair right after a cut?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: 360 Waves
Forum Name: Men's 360 Waves - Part II
Forum Description: About 360 Waves
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=53949
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 2:31pm

Topic: Should you wash your hair right after a cut?
Posted By: wave connection
Subject: Should you wash your hair right after a cut?
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:24am
This is the unabridged version of my after haircut washing theory.  

I don't recommend washing your hair after you get a haircut.  There are two main reasons why I say this.  First, you should wash your hair before you get a cut so that it is clean and free of products.  Since you should wash your hair prior to your cut, washing it afterwards is redundant and pulls out more of your hair's natural oils that its trying to reproduce.  That's also why I don't recommend over-washing.  Second, by not washing your hair right after you get a cut, you allow your haircut and your new length wave pattern to set in.  This is especially true if you do not have a strong base wave pattern.  Even if you have a strong wave pattern, you will lose some defintion if you immediately wash your hair after a cut.  I recommend brushing off the loose hairs with a soft brush, adding a moisturizer or small amount of pomade, if desired, followed by brushing and putting on a durag or wave cap, if possible.  After a couple of days, your hair cut and its pattern should be set and then it should be okay to wash. Also, note that you should use warm to semi-hot water, but not scolding hot, to wash your hair.  The warm to semi-hot water opens your hair's pores and allows your hair follicles and attached strands to relax causing your waves to lay down better while shower brushing.  It's the same concept that spas use for opening up your face's pores when they place a warm towel on it.  After you finish shower brushing apply a small amount of cool water to your head to allow your pores to re-close.  Then apply a moisturizer or pomade, if needed, and continue brushing.

Remember:  After a haircut, be in a rush to brush, but don't prematurely wash.

Replies:
Posted By: Willie SKRILLA
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:34am
Quote washing it afterwards is redundant

After that I couldn't read anymore because that statement is flat out wrong. There is hair dead hair on your hair itching the f**k out of you. You damn well better wash your hair. If I see a n**** running around looking like Pig Pen after a cut we gonna have to have a talk about personal hygeine.

-------------
You can't win with women. You just have to maintain."
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Willie SKRILLA Willie SKRILLA wrote:

After that I couldn't read anymore because that statement is flat out wrong. There is hair dead hair on your hair itching the f**k out of you.

You can remove the loose hairs with a damp, but not wet, wash cloth and scratch your head with your brushing motions.  If your head continues to itch you may need to see a dermatologist.

Remember that over-washing removes your hair's natural oils that it needs to stay healthy and vibrant.

Posted By: S.C. King
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 10:13am
i agree with conncect here casue you can remove those lose hairs with a warm rag!!! i never really thought about what you waz saying with the pores theory!!! warm and hot!!! good looking out!!! and hes right but i would wash mine on the second day after a fresh cut!!!

-------------
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2005022306508046141">

Posted By: Willie SKRILLA
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 10:39am
Originally posted by wave connection wave connection wrote:

Originally posted by Willie SKRILLA Willie SKRILLA wrote:

After that I couldn't read anymore because that statement is flat out wrong. There is hair dead hair on your hair itching the f**k out of you.

You can remove the loose hairs with a damp, but not wet, wash cloth and scratch your head with your brushing motions.  If your head continues to itch you may need to see a dermatologist.

Remember that over-washing removes your hair's natural oils that it needs to stay healthy and vibrant.

I don't have the patience for that sh*t and I don't give a f**k about natural oils and sh*t. People overstate their importance. I'm not saying artificial oils are a good replacement but I've never seen anyone place an natural oil production time rate. For all we know natural oils grow back with 30 minutes. It's all really conjecture.

-------------
You can't win with women. You just have to maintain."
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real

Posted By: BIG-
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 10:39am
i wait a week.. seeing how i dont put products in till maybe like 3 days later

-------------
[IMG]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9080/wezzy4bi4.jpg" />
[IMG]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p92/kekon14/lil-2.jpg" />

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 10:44am
Originally posted by BIG- BIG- wrote:

i wait a week.. seeing how i dont put products in till maybe like 3 days later

well I the first 3 to 5 days i use oil-sheen according to how high i get my hair cut!!!

-------------

Posted By: 25cent
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 10:59am
I just wait before I go to bed then I wash my hair and then brush my ass off 

-------------
Captain Of Blackspinnas
Thats why they call us black spinnas
[IMG]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/1112/5992504781vg1.gif" />
BLACK SPINNAS

Posted By: Meji
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 11:36am
I can see the pores theory as correct cause you supposed to open your pores with HOT WATER....Because your body tries to perspire...and then you wash your face, and seal them with cold water...YA DIGGITY? thats mejis face washing method. OWNED.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Meji Meji wrote:

I can see the pores theory as correct cause you supposed to open your pores with HOT WATER....Because your body tries to perspire...and then you wash your face, and seal them with cold water...YA DIGGITY? thats mejis face washing method. OWNED.

n**** connect already said dat!!! with the pores thang!!! SO WAVE-CONNECTION OWNS DAT THEORY!!! lol

-------------

Posted By: JaySole
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 11:55am
I have to agree with this theory.
When i used to wash my hair after a cut i lossed a lot of definiton on top.
Learned to never to that and my waves are better than ever.

@Wille, this theory may differ with texture.

-------------
Personal Record: 6-0!

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 11:59am
Originally posted by JaySole JaySole wrote:

I have to agree with this theory.
When i used to wash my hair after a cut i lossed a lot of definiton on top.
Learned to never to that and my waves are better than ever.

@Wille, this theory may differ with texture.

true dat!!!

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by S.C. King S.C. King wrote:

Originally posted by Meji Meji wrote:

n**** connect already said dat!!! with the pores thang!!! SO WAVE-CONNECTION OWNS DAT THEORY!!! lol

It's all good.

Posted By: cm0t0wn1
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 12:37pm
Why do we keep getting repeated threads?? 

-------------
CHANGE ON THE WAY !!

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by cm0t0wn1 cm0t0wn1 wrote:

Because there is alot of interest in some of the post I have previously made. 

So, in order to provide new information to wavers who may be familiar with my post, I have posted the unabridged version.

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 1:05pm

So, in order to provide new information to wavers who may be familiar with my post, I have posted the abridged version.

If its needed to be repeated, means its really good info. Doesn't that mean it should be a sticky? I say make a sticky on this and all those other good threads u made as one. Making it similar to TSOH threads.

-------------

Posted By: meech313
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 1:31pm
I agree with u wc and keep the info coming

-------------

Posted By: Don Twista
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 1:40pm

So, in order to provide new information to wavers who may be familiar with my post, I have posted the abridged version.

wut ever happened 2 search da topic b4 u make a thread..only newbies get yelled at for dat..not da vets huh?Confused

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 2:38pm
This thread has previously unreleased information, as it is the unabridged version.  So in essence, it's a new post.

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by meech313 meech313 wrote:

I agree with u wc and keep the info coming

Thanks, fam.

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 6:25pm

This thread has previously unreleased information, as it is the unabridged version.  So in essence, it's a new post.

wheres the rest of this unreleased information???

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 6:37pm
I'll be releasing more good information, tips, and techniques in increments.

Posted By: Don Twista
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 7:00pm
Confused

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 7:38pm
Fall back, Twista.

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 7:43pm

Fall back, Twista.

dang kilt em!!! lol you should've told dat n**** to have a fall back attack!!!

-------------

Posted By: RJizzle
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 8:16pm

WC bout yo washing theory or wateva could that be why i had waves when i wolfed for the first time and when i got a dark caesar cut i lost em except for 2 ripples on my left side? Now i started all over and im goin for 8 weeks.

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 5:27am
Originally posted by RJizzle RJizzle wrote:

WC bout yo washing theory or wateva could that be why i had waves when i wolfed for the first time and when i got a dark caesar cut i lost em except for 2 ripples on my left side? Now i started all over and im goin for 8 weeks.

It hard to say without looking at your hair.  But, it sounds like your waves were not trained enough to survive your haircut and washing, or your hair was cut below its minimum wavelength.  Increase your brushing frequency during this wolfin session and you should be fine.

Posted By: SupaFresh208
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 8:32am
I always wash my hair right after a cut, whether its a lowcut, darkcut or whatever. Only time I dont wash it immediately after is if I just got a line.

-------------
"FOR BETTER CONNECTIONS BRUSH SLOWER WITH LESS PRESSURE"

WOLFING COMPLETE = MY WAVES ARE UNTOUCHABLE

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 8:37am
Originally posted by SupaFresh208 SupaFresh208 wrote:

I always wash my hair right after a cut, whether its a lowcut, darkcut or whatever. Only time I dont wash it immediately after is if I just got a line.

Supa, your wave pattern is set and it's deep, so you'll be alright. 

Posted By: mrclean1992
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 9:16am
me.........i wet a bath towel......wit warm water.......& rubb it across my head.....until all da loose hairs are gone.den i du-rag..& after bout 10 min. i brush

-------------
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/1101992/StarredPhotos51-1.jpg" />

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 9:21am
Originally posted by mrclean1992 mrclean1992 wrote:

me.........i wet a bath towel......wit warm water.......& rubb it across my head.....until all da loose hairs are gone.den i du-rag..& after bout 10 min. i brush

Sounds good.  Just make sure that the towel is damp, but not wet.

Posted By: meek millz
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 9:52am
whats the difference  between damp and wet isnt damp still wet??

-------------
"Impossible is nothing"
"Impossible is 0"

Posted By: Sleepy B
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 10:00am
Squeeze da water out of a wet towel and u got a damp towel

-------------

Posted By: mrclean1992
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 10:08am
ITS LIKE WHEN U RING OUT ALL DA WATER OUTTA TOWEL.... REAL GOOD

-------------
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/1101992/StarredPhotos51-1.jpg" />

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 10:18am
Originally posted by meek millz meek millz wrote:

Damp means slightly wet

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 10:26am
Originally posted by meek millz meek millz wrote:

A wet towel will drip with water.  On the other hand, a damp towel will feel moist, but won't be saturated with water.

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 10:37am
fa real wet iz drippin water from da towel and damp iz wet without water dripping from da towel!!!

-------------

Posted By: Tru Texan
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 7:06pm
IMO, Keep the threads coming, Y? B/C EVERYBODY doesn't get on here and check every thread, therefore they don't know whats been said before, or repeatedly...Second, even though some people do go through this forum very thoroughly, sometimes things are still missed, or forgotten...Third, anybody thats ever taken anything they do seriously know that u have to keep updated and up to par....Which means lil threads like this one keeps u on top of ur game...And it ain't like this thread is coming from someone who doesn't have nice waves...
So again, IMO, keep them coming playboy...

Posted By: S.L.A.B.
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 7:21pm
yea, i just tried it, wetting your hair too much too soon will kill everything

but i dont know about not washing fa a week
it gonna start stinkin

-------------
[QUOTE=25cent]thats a old time waver named stormy seas he got waves trust me [/QUOTE]
founder of the 180 meths

Posted By: twingotti
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 12:19am
I never wash my hair after a cut. I agree with WC. I use a damp rag for the loose hairs.

-------------

Posted By: gnarly_waves
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 12:28pm
yah man i just got my cut yesterday and i aint wash it yet. but right after i left the barbers, i go pick up my girl and then go to the movies and when we got to the movies it was pouring down rain so my hair got soaked, and my chick told me when we got inside all my waves were gone. i was blowed the rest of the night. i was pretty f**ked up when i was at the barbers but i still remember i had waves after the cut. so apparently just getting ure hair wet, not washing it tho, after a cut can mess it up too.

-------------
"but this is the remix, with the cheap tricks, hittin' sweet licks, and I cut the braids off but the waves in the fade'll make you seasick!"

Posted By: King Cash
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 12:40pm
just do some brushin and you'll be fine bruh

-------------
http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/12/8/f_sigma008m_7947f3e.jpg&srv=img37">
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc

Date Posted: June 24 2007 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Tru Texan Tru Texan wrote:

IMO, Keep the threads coming...And it ain't like this thread is coming from someone who doesn't have nice waves...
So again, IMO, keep them coming playboy...

No problem, fam.

Date Posted: June 25 2007 at 8:07am
Originally posted by gnarly_waves gnarly_waves wrote:

yah man i just got my cut yesterday and i aint wash it yet. but right after i left the barbers, i go pick up my girl and then go to the movies and when we got to the movies it was pouring down rain so my hair got soaked, and my chick told me when we got inside all my waves were gone. i was blowed the rest of the night. i was pretty f**ked up when i was at the barbers but i still remember i had waves after the cut. so apparently just getting ure hair wet, not washing it tho, after a cut can mess it up too.

It depends on how well trained your waves are and what kind of your hair texture you have.  Since you have a straighter hair texture, the consequences of rain, on your waves, are going to be greater than someone with a more coarse texture.  Basically, if you have straighter hair, when it gets wet, it's going to have a harder time recoiling than if it was nappier.  The moisture from the rain will diminishing some of your wave definition and intensity.  You can brush your hair until it dries and place on a wave cap or durag, if possible, to improve this problem.

Posted By: twingotti
Date Posted: June 25 2007 at 8:13am
I agree with King Cash. Just brush a lil longer and they should come back with no problem. Shoulda pulled out your brush at the movies and did the h20 method. lol

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2007 at 8:39am
Originally posted by twingotti twingotti wrote:

Shoulda pulled out your brush at the movies and did the h20 method. lol

Lol.

Posted By: Meji
Date Posted: June 25 2007 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by gnarly_waves gnarly_waves wrote:

Man I need a white friend like yo bitchass.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window