Print Page | Close Window

How much biotin do you take?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=54331
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 9:00pm

Topic: How much biotin do you take?
Posted By: Alisa06
Subject: How much biotin do you take?
Date Posted: July 03 2007 at 11:24am
Hello everybody!Tongue

I hope everyone is having an awesome hair day! Clap
 I have decided to start taking biotin, and am playing around with how much.
Soooooo..... How much do you take, and what have been the results? I have to be careful with it, or it will make me brake out, so I am also taking zinc to help with that aspect.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Replies:
Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 7:15am
Hi Alisa! 

I took biotin and silica in 2003 (in the "hair" vitamins from walmart), only for a month to see if it helped, and it didn't do anything for me - didn't cause my growth for that month to be any faster, which was what I wanted.  I haven't taken it since.  

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Lickalime
Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 10:47am
I was alking Biotin for a while - about six months.  I can't remember why I stopped taking it - I think you have to take it for longer then a month to see or feel results.  I did notice a difference after about a month and a half

I recommended it to someone I worked with and she loved the results she saw

Posted By: hairbraider
Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 9:09pm
I take 2000mcg of biotin and 800mcg of folic acid every day.  A friend said that's what her doctor recommended to her when she was having a problem with thinning.  I've been taking it for about 8 months now I think, and my hair is growing faster than it ever has before.  That's the only thing I can attribute it to.  I don't remember how long it was before I noticed results, probably 2 or 3 months.  (I've heard it can take up to 6 months to see results from any vitamin.)

-------------
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
http://hairbraider.spaces.live.com - click here to go to My Hair Space

Date Posted: July 07 2007 at 12:10pm

I have always taken a multi, and used to take a skin hair and nail vitamin from wal mart, which had 3000mcg of biotin.I don't get to wal mart very often, and I found regular biotin at the local safeway.So, I started out taking 3000mcg , but I started to brake out, so I went back to 1000 and added 100 mg of zinc. ( I have read that zinc had the same effet of tetracyclyne in over 75% of those tested )I have cleared up really fast, but I think I may try to go up a little on the biotin. I still need to "tweek" it a little to find my dosage amount.

I just started mabye 2 weeks ago, so I know there has been no results,yet, but I am hoping it will help speed things along.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 8:46pm
Oh my goodness!  I just measured my hair and it's now just reached 39 inches!!  Since I've been taking biotin and folic acid, my hair has been averaging a gain of one inch per month!  That's absolutely amazing for me....... cheer

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Date Posted: July 29 2007 at 2:58pm
YAAAAAHHHH!!!! Clap
I am so happy for you! That is so exciting! So, were does it hit you now? To have curly hair and have it be that long, I bet it is so beautiful!!!

I have had to back off the biotin a little, I started getting a little acne.I lowered it to 1000 and upped my zinc. I am not going to give up on it though, my hair now measures at 33 in,so I  am starting to see the results.Oh, and, Oh, my goodness, my nails are rock hard, and growing like crazy! I keep having people ask me if they are real! When I say thay are, whoever I am talking to, always grabs my hand and looks like they have to make sure!LOL
I think I am going to alternate every other day. Take 100 one day, and 2000 the next. I just need to expermiment.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 30 2007 at 7:48pm
I take 2 5mg capsules per day of biotin.  I also take 3 50mg caplets of zinc per day.  (Along with a bunch of other stuff.  The supplementation regimen seems to work well for me.)

Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 11:04am
That is quite a bit a biotin, Dave, no wonder your have such great hair!Thumbs%20Up

I also take 3 50mg of zinc.Have you noticed any nauseousness with the zinc? Even with just one 50 mg tablet I get a little queasy. If I drink milk with it it doesn't happen, no matter how many I take at once.
 I am going to try to separate my biotin into morning and evening assumption. Hopefully I can up it this way. I already do this with my flax, and cod liver oils, so I don't feel like I am taking 15 pills at a time!Confused 
When I take everything at once, I have noticed that I tend to stop for a day or two once in a while, then go," oh, I haven't taken my vitamins lately," I can say that I don't go longer than a day or two. So I  am hoping that splitting everything up will help wit this problem. 

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:57pm
Truth be told Alisa, the biotin seems to help reduce my rate of fallout.  I can't tell what its growth rate is anymore since it isn't getting any longer (already at terminal length).  Nails were always fairly strong, but got even stronger once I added the biotin.  And they grow a little faster (which for me is not a benefit).

I take each zinc caplet with the 3 primary daily meals (along with vitamin & mineral & other supplementation).  I've never noticed any nausea from the zinc, although I have heard from others that they experience the feeling from taking zinc supplements.  Zinc helps hair (lessens grey!) and skin (fights acne!) and my diet isn't otherwise high in zinc so the current supplementation level seems helpful.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 10:43am
Zinc lessens gray? Cool!! I was just taking it for my skin, but thats great.

I was taking the hair formula 37. I quit because it is basically amino acids, and I get enough of them through diet, so I added the biotin to help assimilate the protein.( not to mention biotin is cheaper).ALso because I had read that it helps with fall out and growth.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: baby*flower
Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 7:34pm

can anyone tell me more about the supplements you guys take? does it interfere with weight, or have any other side effects? and where can i buy them? i recently was condering hair extensions and have now just realized that is a BIG mistake im turning to other options to have my hair grow faster and thicker can anyone please help me out, i dont know much about any supplements to take for hair growth it would be a big help if someone could educate me, thank you!

Date Posted: August 07 2007 at 11:52am

First of all make sure you are taking a good multi vitamin.If you do nothing else, at least take a multi. Hair needs protein to grow.Make sure you are getting enough, either through diet ( the best) or supplements. Essential fatty acids are great, take flax seed oil, fish oil, there are even some out that have borage, flax, and fish together. I personally take flax and cod liver oil.

HairBraider says folic acid is good. I have not taken it but I am very interested in it and as soon as I can find some I am going to try it.As this post indicates, alot of people take biotin. It helps your body to assimilate what you eat, thus helping with energy and absorption.
i just read an article where it briefly stated that zinc was good for hair. I have been taking it because I tend to brake out from biotin, and zinc is good for acne, sooo yeah!Thumbs%20Up I know that zinc helps with healing, and immune functions, ( which is why it is good for acne) but I don't know exactly why it is good for your hair. But, it just makes sense that anything that is good for  your skin would be good for your hair, and vice versa. Not to mention your nails. As I mentioned before, I have had so many people stop and ask me if mine are real! I do a French manicure on them, which, I love. People are always commenting on them. Just a perk of good nutrition I guess.

Anyhow.... These are just a few I am sure of what you can take. I am sure there are more out there. But I hope this helped some.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: August 09 2007 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

HairBraider says folic acid is good. I have not taken it but I am very interested in it and as soon as I can find some I am going to try it.

It was recommended to someone I know by her doctor.  I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it.  He just told her to take biotin and folic acid.  So that's what I've been doing.

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 10:20am
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002408.htm - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002408.htm

According to this article,and several others I have found, folic acid is helpful at the cellular level with DNA and RNA production.It also helps to utalize and create new proteins.

I got a bottle this weekend, so I am now taking it.I found a good size bottle at Costco for under $5!  I am hoping to get some good results with the addition.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 10:28pm
Thanks for doing the research, Alisa.  book

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Date Posted: August 15 2007 at 10:00am
Your welcome, Sarah. I looovvveee research, espeially about anything that has anything to do with health. I find myself spending hours on the web looking things up.For no other reason than I just want to now.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: August 16 2007 at 11:32pm
Alisa, I am so the same way!  I'm totally addicted to the internet for that very reason.  I have to limit my time or I'd never do anything else. Geek

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Date Posted: August 17 2007 at 8:27am
Tell me about it! I have to make myself get up sometimes. Although, being a mom of three kind of  takes care of that for me at times. The mornings are usually my"free time".

I forgot to mention, that my skin is starting to get really soft. I have been taking the  biotin for about 2 months now, and the folic acid for one week. Just thought I would mention it. I did not expect it, but I definitely welcome it!Thumbs%20Up

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: lola32
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 11:21pm
so, taking folic acid and biotin is good for your hair ?I want to take biotin , but I'm scared I might break out. What is folic acid good for ?

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 8:56am

I did start breaking out until I heard ( I believe from Dave) that zinc will help combat the acne.So, being me, I did some research on the zinc -acne relationship. It turns out that zinc has very similar effects to tetracycline antibiotics, just without the side effects.I have taken a tetracycline antibiotic for acne and had great results, so I decided to give it a go. You might want to consider it. Watch out though, it makes me nauseous. The antibiotic did also, until figured out to take it with milk. No more nauseousness.Yyyaahh!  Well.... then my husband came down with a sinus infection, and was given the same antibiotic. The pharmacist ( different pharmacy than where I got mine) told him not to eat or drink dairy for two hours before or after taking the med! It would make the med less absorbent  what! Are you kidding me!!! I had been taking it the whole time with milk.Well, it work pretty well, so it must not have decreased the absorbency level by to much.

Well when I started taking the zinc, and it made me nauseous, I remembered how well the dairy worked with the antibiotic, so I started to drink milk when I took the zinc.You know , same effect as tetracycline, should work the same, right?  Worked wonderfully, again.Then I had a brainstorm idea. Zinc has the same effect as a tetracycline antibiotic, dairy makes the med less absorbant...huh? So again, being me, I did some research, and loll and behold, you are not supposed to eat or drink dairy for two hours before or after taking zinc bashI have taken almost the whole bottle!

I guess its a good thing I found out, eventually...
Sorry for the long story, lessen learned.

As for the folic acid, there is a link in one of the previous posts up above the talks about folic acid.It helps on a cellular Levell with DNA and RNA, and helps to utalize the proteins you are already consuming, as well as make new ones.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:41pm
that was a dumb question I asked earlier. Embarrassed. I had skimmed through the whole bullentin because I was taking care of my cousins. You cant leave them alone for a long period of time. Well, I just bought biotin and zinc. Im excited.

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:46pm
I am glad you did. I hope you have great results. I sure am!cheerKeep us posted on how things go for you.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:42pm

so i bought hair formula 37 and now im trying it out, its been three days and i think my hair got a bit longer?? im not really sure actually but it feels kinda thicker im almost at my tailbonee! i cant wait for my hair to grow more, ill keep everyone updatedd...

Date Posted: August 25 2007 at 8:00pm
Wow, tail bone, huh?! thats great Clap do you have any pics?  Three days, and you think you are seeing results already?! I took HF37 for several months, and it took me about 6 weeks before I noticed any definite results.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 10:05pm

i think i might post pics later on when i see more growth for sure, but i wanted to ask does hair formula 37 make you gain any weight at all?? because it contains amino acids i hope there are no side effects can u please let me know, did you see any weight changes while taking it at all? it seems taking all these pills must have some sort of side effect! lol thanks!

Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 10:17pm
There were some side effects that I noticed, but they were all good ones in my book. My energy went through the roof, and my mood also tremendously improved. I have an axiety disorder and a fatigue problem, so this was a huge plus for me.
I have been thinking of getting back on it because it helped me so much in these departments. With winter coming, It wouldn't be a bad idea.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 3:36pm

yea, I had a lot of energy , when I was taking HF37. I dont know either if there is any side effects. I should've researched that when I was taking it . I've been taking biotin and zinc and my hair grew almost one inch this month . Clap. its a little bit passed 26 1/2 . It was stuck at 25 1/2 for the longest. I have to admit the zinc makes me feel a little sick Dead sometimes.

Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 3:02pm
Alisa does zinc still make you feel sick ? I don't know what to do it still makes me feel sick even when I eat it with food . Ive tried almost everything I can think of.

Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 8:21am
How much are you taking? Try cutting into smaller doses, and taking it at different times through the day.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 12:38pm
I take 50mg is that alot ? I dont know anything about this. Embarrassed. The biotin is 500mcg .

Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 2:51pm
no, that is not alot. Can you cut it into smaller doses?Mabye take part in the morning, and the rest at night? You can go up quite a bit on your biotin, to. One vitamin I used to take had 3000 in it.

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 9:03pm

Thank you, Alisa :) Thats smart , I'm going to cut down the doses. I dont know why I thought it was alot. i dont want to stop taking it because it helping with my hair growth .

Date Posted: October 04 2007 at 5:26pm
Hopefully it will work to cut up the amount. I am glad it is working for you. I need to start taking them both again. I have quit only because I have had a really bad sinus infection for going on 6 wks, and have not had the energy to remember to take more than my multi. Though, common sence would tell me to take them to help my immune system . Unhappy

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: suicides_eve
Date Posted: October 25 2007 at 4:04pm
ugh count me in for feelingDead b/c of zinc, but i think i found a cure! take it with chocolate! i was watching my daughter eat some ( well she was watching me eat most of hersLOL) i noticed i had no yucky feelings like normal hmmm maybe i am on to something long live M&Ms!

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/SuicidesEve - YouTube Guru Makeup & Hair tutorial and How To's
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suicides-EVE/162213213843641 - MY FACEBOOK

Date Posted: November 03 2007 at 11:52pm
Thank you, Eve. I will try that the next time . My hair grew an inch this month . yay ! I'm so happy . I am going to try not to cut my hair anymore. I want to let it grow 5 more inches. I only sometimes feel sick when I take zinc. It doesnt happen that often .

Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 8:27am
my hair too is growing over a inch a month since starting  my little regimen of stuff

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/SuicidesEve - YouTube Guru Makeup & Hair tutorial and How To's

Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 2:41pm
I only take biotin and zinc. I was taking b12 with it but it was making my stomach real upset. what is your hair goal?

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 8:38pm
i want to get to bsl asap so far so good

-------------

Posted By: kurfuu
Date Posted: November 20 2008 at 12:30am
Hi everyone.....I've been taking biotin, multivitamin, & codliver oil for about a 3wks. No severe  breakout  or nausea feeling, i'm wondering if zinc(7.5mg) in centrum is good enough....and I also note that drinking alot of water really helps with smoothness of your skin.

Am wondering if there is a difference with chemically treated /natural hair, when taking biotin....I have chemically processed hair and on occasion, and get a proper treatment with Mizani hair products. Does topical products slows the growth of the hair when taking biotin? I've been noticing breakage of my hair even though I am taking the biotin throughout 3-4wksConfused

-------------
KURFUU

Posted By: Kimbearly
Date Posted: December 16 2008 at 6:40pm
I take 10,000 mcg of biotin a day.  I find that the biotin in Walmart or the cheaper brands do not work as well, plus they made me break-out, feel sick, horrible stomach pains - the works.  We have a health food store where I live called Black Forest Acres and they make the best vitamins.  My hair has been growing like a weed with much less fall-out.  I maybe loose 30 -50 hairs a day now.  I also do not have any side effects with their vitamins.  I buy all of my vitamins from them.

Posted By: Snowie
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 5:55pm
Don't be afraid to try it, if you end up having a break-out reaction to it, you can always stop and it will go away. I had a few extra pimples about half a month in, but I added a little zinc to the equation and now no more issue :)

-------------
Dayna :)

Posted By: MissMtoP
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 6:55pm
Hello all! I am newbie to the talk. I came across this forum after googling information on taking biotin for hair growth! I have always had fairly long hair and made the mistake of agreeing to perm it. Destroyed my beautiful locks. It was terribly damaged. I made the bold decision after a few months to crop it short to a bob, in hopes of saving my hair at all! I kept growing it out and cutting it as much as I could to get all of the damaged hair. Now, a year and a half later I believe I have it all out, left with a little longer than chin-length bob. My hair used to grow decently fast but since "the incident" it hasn't been growing, almost at all. I would really love to get my long luscious locks back! I was recommended from a co-worker to take biotin along with a multi (which I was already taking) and I will be able to tell the difference, does wonders!

Well, my question is- how much biotin should I take, having never taken any before? I am going to pick up some Zinc as well per your recommendations previously in this forum. I also wanted to know if there was anything else that any of you do as a supplement to taking the biotin? I already do scalp massages often, tend to my ends and rarely apply heat to it. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks! It has been fun reading your posts!

Posted By: Dark40
Date Posted: August 09 2016 at 5:27pm
Hi Alisa, I right now is taking 5,000 mg per day.

-------------
Shannon D. Bax

Print Page | Close Window