Forum Name: Celebrity Hair Talk
Forum Description: The hair trials and tribulations of Celebrities
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=54863
Printed Date: May 16 2024 at 3:02pm

Topic: Hilary Swank to cut hair for charity
Posted By: Morgan
Subject: Hilary Swank to cut hair for charity
Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 12:07pm

http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah6147.shtml - http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah6147.shtml

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (July 19, 2007) – Hilary Swank is saying so long to her locks. Partnering with the Entertainment Industry Foundation as a spokesperson for Pantene Beautiful Lengths Campaign, which donates real hair wigs to women suffering from cancer, Hilary announced she’ll cut off her coif, later this year.

“It's wonderful to know that my hair is gonna help someone feel better through the process of getting treatment,” she told Access Hollywood.

Posing for the cause, along with beloved dog Karu, Hilary embraced her ponytail, for now.

“It's growing and hopefully I can get a little more length so I can get a nice ponytail to donate,” she said.

Hilary has rocked short locks before. Remember “Boys Don’t Cry?” And, she’s looking forward to going back to her roots.

“I think having short hair is really fun and it looks like it may be the new look,” she said. “So it will if anything just make me hip. Finally a reason to be hip!”

Replies:
Posted By: arch94
Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 12:14pm

I'm glad to see celebrities stepping up and donating to these worthy causes.

It'd be great to see her recruit some of her celebrity friends to donate with her...time will tell.

Maybe she'll do it live like Diane Lane did?

Either way...what a sweetheart for donating.

My two cents.

-------------
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!

Posted By: who11
Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 2:10pm
dang it you beat me to it i was gonna post it last night but then fell asleep.

Cant wait to see how short she goes.

Its all for a good cause, i applause you Hilary.

Posted By: Mike46019
Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 9:49pm
Well another that will be fun to watch grow longer until that day. What are you going to do.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 2:17am
Not sure Hilary Swank's stringy hair will help anyone very much.

Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 10:02pm
I don't think it is stringy but then again it could be because of hair stuff she uses.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Posted By: Kramer
Date Posted: July 22 2007 at 5:56pm
Without going into a diseration of how there's no way all of the hair collected by Locks of Love could ever be turned into wigs, Hilary Swank is definitely one of the women who looks much better with long hair. When she has short hair, the first think I notice is her teeth.

http://www.blavish.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/Hilary%20Swank%20Chopard%20Earrings.jpg - http://www.blavish.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/Hilary%20Swank%20Chopard%20Earrings.jpg

Oh well, at least I'll have fun watching her hair grow longer and longer:

http://bluegirlredstate.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/hs3.jpg - http://bluegirlredstate.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/hs3.jpg

Date Posted: July 22 2007 at 7:24pm
Me too Kramer you are not the only one that notice short hair isn't for her.

-------------

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: July 22 2007 at 7:28pm
Kramer, She actually had long hair in the pic you showed for short hair
http://www.wireimage.com/SearchResults.aspx?igi=103801&s=hillary%20swank&sfld=C&vwmd=e">4547944 Hopefully, she won't go as short as in "Boy's don't cry" but I think this length is great on her.
javascript:open_form%28http://previews3.wireimage.com/SlideShowB.aspx?i=109557,link,scrollbars=yes,%20status=yes,resizable=yes,width=1000,height=800,top=0,left=0%29;">Hilary%20Swank

Date Posted: July 22 2007 at 8:24pm
Yeah, I know she had longer hair in the photo I posted, but you couldn't see any of it, so it's the same effect.

It was short here, though:

http://www.ncbuy.com/shopping/posters/viewer.html?id=989747 - http://www.ncbuy.com/shopping/posters/viewer.html?id=989747

http://www.born-today.com/Today/pix/swank_hillary.jpg - http://www.born-today.com/Today/pix/swank_hillary.jpg

http://www.splicedonline.com/01features/hswank.jpg - http://www.splicedonline.com/01features/hswank.jpg

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/.Archives/2000/04/11/aeboys.gif - http://www.cavalierdaily.com/.Archives/2000/04/11/aeboys.gif  (remember Boys Don't Cry?)

and long here:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/NrllAless/blog/news/covergirls/hilary_swank_esq_6.jpg - http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/NrllAless/blog/news/covergirls/hilary_swank_esq_6.jpg

Honestly, if you think she looks better with short hair, that's fine. It doesn't do it for me, though. Not even close.

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: July 23 2007 at 4:40pm
      The following will be stated on Oprah in the future: "Hilary, you made a wonderful decision. A cancer-stricken child will look beautiful, and YOU look so young and stunning with that short haircut!" But then, methinks that Oprah should star in "Joe Isuzu" commercials. Sorry, Oprah fans! LOL Best to All, Bob

Posted By: ssjockey
Date Posted: July 23 2007 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

The following will be stated on Oprah in the future: "Hilary, you made a wonderful decision. A cancer-stricken child will look beautiful, and YOU look so young and stunning with that short haircut!" But then, methinks that Oprah should star in "Joe Isuzu" commercials. Sorry, Oprah fans! LOL Best to All, Bob

Good one Bob...although a small correction, Great Lengths is for Adult women with cancer, not kids...

Love the Joe Isuzu reference, that stuff was hilarious back in the day!

Posted By: Heath
Date Posted: July 24 2007 at 8:43am
Oh how awful. Someone who thinks short hair is fun and hip wants to cut her hair.

Date Posted: July 24 2007 at 11:05am
     **Finally** we are on the same page, Heath!! LOL Bob

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 24 2007 at 8:41pm
A little translation service helpfully provided for those who are not familiar with arch-speak...

Originally posted by arch94 arch94 wrote:

I'm glad to see celebrities stepping up and donating to these worthy causes.

"Who gives a darn whether it's for charity or not? I'm just glad to see that she's going to cut her hair short!"

It'd be great to see her recruit some of her celebrity friends to donate with her...time will tell.

Maybe she'll do it live like Diane Lane did?

"So that I can record the event and enjoy replaying it!"

Either way...what a sweetheart for donating.

"Again, who gives a darn whether it's for charity or not?"

[Sorry arch, just having a little fun at your expense. LOL  But I don't think it's a misrepresentation. ]

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 10:08am

LOL

Dave,

I was trying to be diplomatic...as to keep you (and others) off my case...but it looks like it happened anyways. Either way, you are a master of decoding subliminal messages Wink No offense taken...you're almost as good at reading my thoughts as my wife. lol

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2007 at 8:09pm
Subtlety does not come easily for many of us!  Wink

Posted By: daman123
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 4:04pm
i dont say this often but she looks better with long hair

Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 6:50pm
Maybe this is just a publicity stunt to keep her from falling off the radar of producers?

Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 7:01pm
Could it be that she simply wants to be involved in a great cause?  Such cynacism on this board lately. 

-------------
HAWG

Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 8:26pm
Sorry HAWG I guess most of us are just jaded.

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2007 at 3:10am
true she is doing it for a good cause i think we are missing the bigger picture here and there are wigs n stuff so spose its not all bad

Date Posted: July 29 2007 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Maybe this is just a publicity stunt to keep her from falling off the radar of producers?

Hillary carried "Freedom Writers," to respectable box office. She's got three movies in post-production, including "Iron Man" and a passion project of hers called "The Laws of Motion." I don't think Hillary needs to worry about falling off the radar of producers.

I'm not sure why getting a tiny bit of publicity for cutting her hair would get her more roles. If anything, it'll hurt her. Most producers would like all women to come in with long hair, so they can cut it how they want it for the role.

Originally posted by Mike46019 Mike46019 wrote:

Sorry HAWG I guess most of us are just jaded.

What are you jaded about? Do people not do charity work where you are from?

Until Bob can come up with a zapping ray to stop women from thinking about donating their hair, celebs will occasionally give theirs to charity.

Date Posted: July 29 2007 at 3:14pm
[/QUOTE]
Hillary carried "Freedom Writers," to respectable box office. She's got three movies in post-production, including "Iron Man" and a passion project of hers called "The Laws of Motion." I don't think Hillary needs to worry about falling off the radar of producers.

I'm not sure why getting a tiny bit of publicity for cutting her hair would get her more roles. If anything, it'll hurt her. Most producers would like all women to come in with long hair, so they can cut it how they want it for the role. [/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, Heath. If I'm not mistaken, Hilary (one L please) generally has her hair parted down the middle. And that goes against everything you believe in, doesn't it? You can't have it both ways, sunshine.

And how in the world can you speak for any producers, much less "most producers?"

Date Posted: July 29 2007 at 7:04pm
kramer strikes again lol (2 Ls and an O please)Smile

Date Posted: July 29 2007 at 10:40pm
Jaded was responce to another post. A few before we got to second page.

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2007 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Kramer Kramer wrote:

Hillary carried "Freedom Writers," to respectable box office. She's got three movies in post-production, including "Iron Man" and a passion project of hers called "The Laws of Motion." I don't think Hillary needs to worry about falling off the radar of producers. I'm not sure why getting a tiny bit of publicity for cutting her hair would get her more roles. If anything, it'll hurt her. Most producers would like all women to come in with long hair, so they can cut it how they want it for the role. [/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, Heath. If I'm not mistaken, Hilary (one L please) generally has her hair parted down the middle. And that goes against everything you believe in, doesn't it? You can't have it both ways, sunshine.

And how in the world can you speak for any producers, much less "most producers?"
[/QUOTE]
Nice to know that when someone disagrees with you, you get snippy. I don't see anywhere that I've endorsed any of Hilary's hair choices, only that she's not making the choice in an effort to help her career. So what both ways am I trying to have it?

I don't speak for "most producers." Due to what I do I understand what producers usually want from actors. I'm sure there's something you do that gives you some expertise in an industry also.

Date Posted: July 30 2007 at 2:47pm
     "Zapping ray" Heath? Have you been snooping in my basement? Actually, if successful, my invention is more like Miracle Grow, and will be aimed at the nether regions of journalists, so one might finally have the "courage" to expose the finances and usage percentage of feel-good hair charity organizations. And no, you will not be getting a cut, Heath! Angry Bob 

Date Posted: July 30 2007 at 7:39pm
Never intended for my merely speculative guess to initiate a pi$$ing contest... FWIW Heath, you would appear to be correct, her career (with upcoming projects) seems to be in fine shape.

I have to say that I agree with Bob on the lack of journalistic courage in this matter.  There is absolutely no shortage (in fact, there continues to be a huge surplus donated) of hair for the makers of hairpieces for children afflicted with alopecia.

Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: July 30 2007 at 9:33pm
Maybe it's just that she tried the long hair thing and (given her fine hair) it never really worked for her. Now, perhaps, she wants to get back to her shaggy trademark look.

Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 1:36am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Never intended for my merely speculative guess to initiate a pi$$ing contest... FWIW Heath, you would appear to be correct, her career (with upcoming projects) seems to be in fine shape.

I have to say that I agree with Bob on the lack of journalistic courage in this matter.  There is absolutely no shortage (in fact, there continues to be a huge surplus donated) of hair for the makers of hairpieces for children afflicted with alopecia.

Dave, a correction, I believe that Hilary is cutting her hair, as Diane Lane did, for Great Lengths, which makes hair pieces for adult women with cancer.  Not kids.  I believe this organization is run by Pantene.  If I am mistaken, I'm sure someone will correct me!

I don't see what the big deal is anyway.  Hilary will cut her hair, probably not too short, then in her next movie, I'm sure she will sport extensions, and Kramer will tell us how much better she looks with them than without!

Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 2:52am

I know you're not going to believe this, but I was one mockery away from changing my taste. Thank you, ssjock, for nudging me to a better place.

Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Kramer Kramer wrote:

I know you're not going to believe this, but I was one mockery away from changing my taste. Thank you, ssjock, for nudging me to a better place.

You are right Kramer, I don't believe it, but I'm glad to be of service anyway! ClapWinkLOL

Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 10:55am
Does anyone know when the joyous event will happen?

According to Dave, I have to record it? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by ssjockey ssjockey wrote:

Dave, a correction, I believe that Hilary is cutting her hair, as Diane Lane did, for Great Lengths, which makes hair pieces for adult women with cancer.  Not kids.  I believe this organization is run by Pantene.  If I am mistaken, I'm sure someone will correct me!

Thanks for the clarification ssjockey.  I am not aware that there was an unmet demand for hair pieces for adult women with cancer.  A woman I know (who is now in remission) did not want to wear any hairpiece because her scalp was extremely sensitive.  By the time the sensitivity went away, her hair had grown back to "something" length (about an inch or so), where she felt comfortable without any head covering at all (she had used hats and silk scarves).

Originally posted by ssjockey ssjockey wrote:

I don't see what the big deal is anyway.  Hilary will cut her hair, probably not too short, then in her next movie, I'm sure she will sport extensions, and Kramer will tell us how much better she looks with them than without!

Probably so.  LOL

According to Dave, I have to record it? LOL

You are welcome to choose action contrary to my prediction, but I sense you'll resist any such temptation. Wink

Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 11:02pm
I bet it will be on the TODAY show.

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2007 at 8:26pm
Anybody heard when the haircut will happen?  Here's a recent picture (Today actually) at an event where she was promoting her new fragrance.

Hilary%20Swank%20Hairstyle

She looks better than I've ever seen her.

-------------
HAWG

Posted By: jaw5
Date Posted: September 30 2007 at 9:56am
I hope other celebrities will follow in her footsteps and donate

Date Posted: October 12 2007 at 4:08pm
In yesterday's USA Today:

This month, she's going on The Oprah Winfrey Show and cutting off her hair as part of Pantene's Beautiful Lengths campaign, which donates the locks to women who are in cancer treatment.

"That's going to be wonderful," says Swank, who says she's not nervous about her impending transformation. "I've been growing my hair for months, so it's super-long and super-healthy. I've gotten my conditioning treatments every four weeks. Everyone is commenting on my hair and how it's long and pretty and healthy and shiny. All the better for a woman in need."

If anyone sees a preview, please pass on the date.  Thanks

-------------
HAWG

Date Posted: October 12 2007 at 10:57pm
Wow, I thought she might get her hair cut behind closed doors with the cameras off and make a quiet donation, perhaps even through a courier. What was I thinking? I had no idea she was doing it for publicity.

Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 9:17am
Of course she's doing it for publicity! She's trying to publicize Pantene Beautiful Lengths, not herself. Getting a charity press increases donations. It's what charities dream for. Have you ever been involvedin a charity?

Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 10:19am
No, but I work in public relations every day. And sarcasm, by the way.

Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 4:26pm
     If there is a NEED for hair donations, save the explosion of extensions, please explain it to me. As for Hilary, long rocks, and emphasizes her femininity. To me, this publicity stunt on Oprah is silly, and it's an attempt to shame others into doing the same. Bob halloween11

Posted By: Hal
Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 4:45pm
What is silly or new about a publicity stunt?  Shame others into doing the same, again whats new about that, the red cross does it.. homeless people up to their knees in flood water, united way does it...battered women entering one of their shelters..   Hollywood celeb giving up some hair... seems pretty harmless to me.

Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Hal Hal wrote:

What is silly or new about a publicity stunt?  Shame others into doing the same, again whats new about that, the red cross does it.. homeless people up to their knees in flood water, united way does it...battered women entering one of their shelters..   Hollywood celeb giving up some hair... seems pretty harmless to me.

Oh Hal, Don't worry about Bob, he gets cranky anytime any female cuts their hair for just about any reason!  CryLOLWink  (you know I'm just giving you a hard time Bob!)

Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 9:43pm
I think it's great of Hilary to donate and even better of Oprah to promote it. I'm sure there will be more women on the show that day who are also donating. I think Hilary will look great afterwards. I've already set my DVR recorder to record it(cuz Dave said i had to), and i'd gladly make you a copy of the show Bob LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2007 at 12:53am

I'm sure there will be more women on the show that day who are also donating. I think Hilary will look great afterwards.  LOL
Oh really? There are no guarantees.

http://www.splicedonline.com/01features/hswank.jpg - http://www.splicedonline.com/01features/hswank.jpg

And given the choice...

http://bluegirlredstate.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/hs3.jpg - http://bluegirlredstate.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/hs3.jpg

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: October 16 2007 at 5:37am

Of the pics Kramer posted...

I think they both look good.  Of course, (being I generally like short hair) I will go with the first pic Smile

Posted By: Skydancer
Date Posted: October 16 2007 at 1:00pm
I liked the short one of those two pictures best too.

-------------
"Sometime's you have to roll the hard six"

"I hope evil takes mastercard"

Posted By: jaw5
Date Posted: October 16 2007 at 2:22pm
Has anyone heard the date that she will be on the Oprah Show to cut her hair?

Date Posted: October 16 2007 at 3:43pm
Nother sad day. I just hope it isn't as short when she did Boy's don't cry"

-------------

Print Page | Close Window