Print Page | Close Window

feeling dissatisfied...

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=55645
Printed Date: June 18 2024 at 4:47am

Topic: feeling dissatisfied...
Posted By: hairbraider
Subject: feeling dissatisfied...
Date Posted: August 11 2007 at 9:16pm

badday
    I've been feeling very unsatisfied with my hair lately.  With my whole self really.  I feel the need to change... the way I do my hair, the way I do my make-up, the color I paint my toe nails, etc.  I want to start wearing contacts again and ditch the glasses, but I've been having major allergy issues so I can't. 
     Now that my hair is just centimeters short of my long-term goal, I suddenly feel that it draws too much attention.  It's always the focal point.  I love my length, but.....  Nobody ever compliments me on my smile or my eyes anymore, for example.  I used to get complimented on my smile more than anything.  I miss that.  Also, I suddenly find myself longing for straight hair.  I haven't done that in years!  I want a different bangs style too, but nothing else looks good on me. 
     I'm sure it's just a phase.  I'm afraid to do anything major to my hair because I'm sure I'll regret it later.  A sure indication is that I've been doing my bangs the same way for about 3 or 4 years, so I trimmed them up a bit different this time, hoping it would help with the dissatisfaction.  I hate them now.  I just want to grow them out completely.  (doesn't really look bad, just not happy with it)  If I wasn't afraid of hating it later and just having to live with it, I'd dye it.  But I know it's not a good idea to make big changes when in this sort of mood.
     I'm sorry for venting.  I guess I just need some support and y'all are the greatest for that! 

-------------
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
http://hairbraider.spaces.live.com - click here to go to My Hair Space

Replies:
Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: August 12 2007 at 1:57pm
     Hey, Sarah! Maybe I'm not the one who should comment, b/c hairstyle is the first thing I notice about *every* woman. LOL I enjoy all other facets as well, esp. interesting faces, gaits and voices. If the hair is hot, life is good, and any other flaws are diminished, in my world!
     Anyway, what I suggest is that you double your braid or put it up for the next month or so. That way, people will be more apt to notice other facets of *you* first. (Not me, but I think I'm atypical.) More importantly, you will be giving yourself a break. You'd only have to think about it when you were fixing it. You could focus your attention on new makeup and toenail colors if you wish.
     What I think you need is your *own* WOW about yourself. And since dealing with hair every day has made it somewhat mundane in your life, I think that going without it long for weeks on end will give you a real high when fall comes and the length is fresh again.
      Remember, Sarah, everyone feels a little blue sometimes, even for extended periods. It's the human condition. But the wise person retains the inkling that better days are coming, and that drastic decisions, hair or otherwise, are best procrastinated. God Bless, Bob Wink 
     Becoming involved in new volunteer work, even for an hour or two per week, may be refreshing and rewarding for you. Hugs, Bob

Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 8:27am
yea i agree with Bob but i think a side pony is ultra cute eps with LONG curly hair and yea Sarah everyone has those blue days... trust me i once did something because of and emotional low and i have regretted it ever since..... it'll be okay but in the meantime please feel free to vent... better out than inWink...... hth :]]...... oh and i loveee your hair i wud honestly kill for your hair and just bc noones commenting on yur other features doesn't mean they don't notice them Wink....... Hughope you feel better soon

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Posted By: Alisa06
Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 10:07am
I agree, try putting it up  more, maybe growing your bangs out.Try styling it to were you don't have to think about it.
 Just remember how long you have worked to get this far, and just how close you are. Soooo many women ( and men for that matter) would give an arm and a leg for half of your hair. I have seen alot of women lately with horribly thin hair, and it has humbled me, and made me appreciate what God has given me. Not that you need to be humbled, but just remember how fortunate you are.
Hopefully this will pass soon, and the cloud will lift. Until then,keep your head up and eyes on the future. Before you know it, you will have reached your goal, and everyone around you will be green with envy. But not just because of your hair, but because the dedication, and strength it takes to get where you are takes the kind of person that can achieve anything she puts her mind to, and that satisfaction, will give you a glow  that will light up any room.Hug

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: tomorrowperfume
Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 11:05am
Sounds like a case of general same-style blues. Change helps spice up your life... but you don't need a drastic change to get drastic results. Maybe something like an accessory can do the trick - maybe one of those cute, sophisticated little black headbands or a barrette might do it. I'm so jealous of your beautiful curly hair, but if you're thinking about going straight, just try it out for a little while and see if you like it. It was this boredom with one particular style that led me to chop 20 inches off of my hair three years ago, and I regret it even now. Just wait it out and see how it feels to finally acheive your goal length!

-------------
30 inches; 2a/M/iii

Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 7:21pm
You guys are all so sweet! Hug  Thanks for your words of encouragement.  Alisa, yours were especially touching (about the strength and dedication for achieving goals).  SugarCube, you're right... just because it's not mentioned doesn't mean it's not noticed.  Thanks for reminding me.  Bob, I think I'll take your advice and wear my hair up every single day for a while.  I normally wear it up at work, but leave it down at home most of the time.  Tomorrowperfume, I think I'll start wearing some of my more fancy hair accessories to work, instead of the plain ones all the time. 

A few days ago I decided to do what any girl does to feel better.... I went shopping!  I got a new shirt that's a style I've never worn before, and I got a couple new fun colors of nail polish that I've never used before.  I wore the shirt to church yesterday.  It's funny.... I got soooooo many compliments on it! (and on my silver toe nails too, lol)  So I was already feeling pretty great, and then I ran into wal-mart on the way home last night and this guy I've never seen before starts talking to me as we're both looking at the same thing.  After a few minutes of general conversation about which brand of crackers I prefer and how long I've lived in this town and the lack of local entertainment (small town, rural area).... he procedes to tell me that he thinks I'm beautiful and he would like to take me out sometime.  That's what he said... "you are a very beautiful woman."  No mention of my hair at all (and it was down!).  It was refreshing.Smile

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Posted By: letmecount123
Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 7:33pm
So did you agree to go out with him sometime???!! I'm curious, haha.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 7:59pm
lolz hahahaha thats AWESOME  hairbraider!!!!!!!!!!! i'm with 123 ( btw haven't seen u ina while ) did u take him up on his offer... was he cute.... sry i'm SUCH  a gabber when it comes 2 guys lolz

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2007 at 11:07am
lol... I got to thinking later that I should've added this as a p.s.  No.  I thanked him for the compliments and told him I'd have to refuse because I wasn't interested in getting into a relationship right now.  He was very impressive though.  Tall, black hair, well-dressed, so respectful and polite.  It wasn't the kind of situation where you'd say he was "hitting on" me.  It was definitely an ego boost. Embarrassed

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Date Posted: August 14 2007 at 11:15am
KOOLIES!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Alisa06
Date Posted: August 14 2007 at 12:10pm
Big%20smile  (Big Smile)!!! I am glad to hear you are starting to feel better. IMO there is nothing better to help boost your mood than to pamper yourself. Silver toes sounds really fun!I have been weary a wine color that I just love!!! Isn't it great to get noticed like that! Even though you are not interested, ( in my case married) it sure makes you feel awesome!
Speaking of hair accesories, I am thinking about getting a new set of hairsticks. I have one that is a very light wood, but would like to add to my collcection... I got some clips that have rhinestones in them. I put them on the front kind of on the side of my head to hold my hair back.  I have never worn somthing like this before, and I love it. Just a simple touch to add a whole new feel....Just a thought rose

-------------
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: August 15 2007 at 7:18am
Sounds like you've perked up already!  Whether you're interested or not, the guy sounds hot!  Lucky you!

If you still feel like changing things and want to do the contacts, there's this great eye drop out now I don't know how I could live without!  Opcon A, you can get it for about 5 bucks at walmart or drugstores. Its an antihistamine eye drop. (You don't use it while your contacts are in, so you can even try and see if it helps before you decide to buy contacts.) I just use it once before bed and my allergy related eye problems are much better the whole next day.  I don't use it every night, but I can see a difference when I don't if the allergies get bad. 

Edited to say:  Geez, sorry I sound like a commercial, there are so few products I've found so useful I guess I appreciate the good cheap ones!

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: August 16 2007 at 3:47pm
Thanks for the tip Susan!  I'll have to try that (I already have contacts, just haven't been able to wear them in a while).

Yes, my mood has perked up, but still not completely feeling like myself.  I got moved to a different spot in the office temporarily for a specific task.  That has helped too because the people I'm around now are more talkative and cheerful so I don't sit quietly obsorbed in my own thoughts.

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Posted By: Kimbearly
Date Posted: August 16 2007 at 8:30pm
HAIRBRAIDER!!!!  I love, love, love your hair. I wish my hair was that long.  Glad you are a bit more chipper though.  I go through slumps like that from time to time, but I always bounce back better than ever.  I have a feeling you will too.

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2007 at 11:47pm
Thanks Kimbearly!  I love your sig, by the way.  I think that's been my problem.  I kinda hit one of those falling-on-your-face times, but I'm beginning to see that I have moved forward because of it. 
bike2

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Posted By: tani-lai
Date Posted: August 17 2007 at 8:57am
Hairbraider--glad you are feeling better about things.  I know how you were feeling!  In the past, I would get a drastic haircut about once very four years, when it was just about BSL.  Of course, within a week or so, I would hate it.  This year, finding the board actually stopped me from making yet another hair mistake!  By the way, I like the new userpic--very nice! 

-------------

31"!!

Date Posted: August 17 2007 at 9:09pm
Tani-lai, thank you.  I don't think I'll ever do a drastic cut.  I'm too attached (so to speak) to my long hair.  Although I have thought about a rather large trim to make the ends really thick.

I'm glad you like the pic.  I'll soon be posting new length pics on my site!cheer  I finally got around to taking some.  I finally just did it myself using the delay thing on the digital camera.  And as you can see, it's in the house not outside so they're not that great, but oh well.  I'll let y'all know when they're up.

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Date Posted: September 03 2007 at 12:21am
Well, I wore my hair down yesterday for the first time in almost 3 weeks. (it would've been 3 weeks tomorrow)  The only reason was that I got a terrible catch in my back and simply couldn't put it up.  I plan to keep on wearing it up still for a while though. 

Seriously, it's been driving me crazy to have it up constantly every day.  (This has kinda reinforced my idea that I could never grow it so long that it's impractical to wear it down.)  The only time I've been leaving it down is while it's drying.  It seems to have helped at least some.  I appreciate it more when it's down.  And I've gotten a little more creative again in styling it.  I think that has helped alot in itself.  I'm hoping to wear it up enough that people start noticing other things about me instead of just my hair.  I'm not fishing for compliments or anything, I just want to feel like it's not all about my hair. 

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: September 04 2007 at 8:54pm
Hey Sarah, sorry to hear you've been feeling blue lately, I am not immune to the condition (I have been feeling a bit that way lately too).  From what I can tell of your avatar photo, small though it is, you appear to have a pretty face.  I think most people notice all of your other lovely features as well, when they see you... but commenting on your hair is "easy" because its wonderful state of being is attributable to your actions (whereas your face and eyes, etc, are "God-given"). 
Hugs,Hug

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 7:24pm
Thanks Dave.  I've never really thought of it that way.  Smile

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 2:41pm
     Big%20smile Well-stated, Dave. You are so right. Hair and attire are virtually the only things that I would even *think* of complimenting on a woman. Maybe perfume too! (lol) 
     If I can take a stab here, Sarah, I think that in life we must try to accept God's gifts and enjoy them. Everyone's is different. The fact is that a beautiful woman does not *deserve* to be better looking than others; it just is. But I've seen so many less than average lookers put themselves together in a way that makes them very appealing. A good attitude is at least as sexy as looks to me.   
     My youngest DD has a voice so stunning, and looks to match, that she nearly made American Idol this year at 19. She struggles with the fact that she has so much talent, and has difficulty accepting that it's real. And yes, she feels somewhat guilty, irrational though it may be. My advice to her, and you, is to use your gifts not only for your own pleasure, but for the enrichment of others. And, of course, for the glory of our Maker. I hope this makes some sense. Love, Bob Wink

Date Posted: September 14 2007 at 10:28pm
Bob, thanks for bringing me back to reality.  I heartily agree that beautiful people are not so because they deserve to be, and also that beauty does not itself deserve praise.  I'm sorry if you got that feeling from what I was saying.  I didn't mean it that way at all.  I'm not seeking compliments or praise for my looks or anything like that.  My thing was I just got tired of all the focus being my hair.  I'm not all hair. 

I probably am being a bit self-centered in it all, I admit.  My pride does creep up too high sometimes.  I have to keep it in check.  And I realized that there are deeper issues behind this too.  Emotional struggles I'm having to face, subconscious desire to change as a symbol of moving on..... you know all that kind of stuff that women usually go through.  Wink 

You make a great point in that you prefer to compliment a woman for the way she puts herself together, rather than her God-given looks.  I've met many people like you mentioned, and you're so right.  What is it they say.... "presentation is more important than the product"?

-------------
sarah
40 inches

Date Posted: September 15 2007 at 1:12pm
     Wink Let's see, Sarah..... I have a wife of 28 years, and 4 daughters..... nah, I can't imagine what you mean by "emotional struggles"! LOL
     I've often wondered, though, what women who normally wear their locks like Jaime Leigh Curtis do to symbolically get rid of the "baggage" and forge a new beginning. (lol) I hope you've been feeling better of late. Hugs, Bob Big%20smile
     P.S. One of the dearest women, and clearly the finest writer among those I've enjoyed on long hair boards, Celuriel, stated once, if I can clumsily paraphrase, "Charity comes in many forms." She had been accosted by someone who thought she should donate her knee-length hair to "the children", and she mused about how much joy her long braid  actually brought to both kids and older folks presently. Thus, she was rather annoyed that someone would presume that she wasn't doing *enough*.

Posted By: 30isthenewblack
Date Posted: October 03 2008 at 7:36pm

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better Sarah. The hardest time for me is when I have almost reached a goal and it's like I want to self-sabotage myself and I am very conscious of that.

I think we all have periods where we are feeling down and sometimes it can take a new top, new way of styling our hair or nail polish colour to perk us up.

I'm looking forward to the new hair pics. You're the one who inspired me to grow my hair long afterall Wink

-------------
www.30isthenewblack.com

Print Page | Close Window