Forum Name: Short Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of short hair
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=56831
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 1:43am

Topic: How to grow out a bob
Posted By: julesyjul88
Subject: How to grow out a bob
Date Posted: September 30 2007 at 6:15pm
I noticed quite a few people here have a bob (or your wives do) and I wanted to know how theirs grows out? I'm having some trouble getting past an awkward stage (hair will look really shaggy and bad and I have to cut) and I would really like it to grow longer.
I was thinking I might have to change styles altogether~like have shorter layers in the front because the back grows much faster! With the bob I feel like I have to keep cutting my progress that grows in the back to keep the shape.
Any suggestions?

Replies:
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 9:37pm
145 views and not one suggestion?

Posted By: daman123
Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 4:57pm
as far as i know ya just have to be patient and keep triiming it n go through the horror of the in between stage acording to my lovely gf

Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 5:16pm
Thanks Daman123. That is what I have been doing.It is getting longer slowly but surely I just hate having to trim it so much to keep the style.

Posted By: Leadfoot
Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 5:33pm
Anytime you grow out a hairstyle your hair is going to go through awkward stages.   You can trim it as you are doing to keep some style, but obviously by taking length off the grow out period will be longer.  So you either grow it out slow, trim it, and be stylish or just let it grow and hope the awkward period will be over soon!

Posted By: bibe
Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 7:24pm
Hair accessories!!!
Headbands and hair clips are great for those awkward stages.

Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 7:30pm
I found this

http://gregl.net/longhair/longhair.htm#How%20to%20Grow%20Your%20Hair%20Out - http://gregl.net/longhair/longhair.htm#How%20to%20Grow%20Your%20Hair%20Out

-------------
HAWG

Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 8:58pm
Thanks for the helpful suugestionscowboy

Hawg~great website,thanks for the link!

Posted By: jdl1223
Date Posted: October 04 2007 at 11:07am
i have no clue.  I have an inverted bob and i have tried growing it out but then i get tired of it and get it cut again.  I'm not sure if i want to grow it out or not.  It has its good and bad sides i guess, but i think i am in the same boat as you!

Date Posted: October 04 2007 at 4:53pm
Well,I guess we can give each other support then,LOL!
I guess I'm just gonna have to be shaggy for a while...which is hard for me to do though cuz I'm kinda OCD

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: October 05 2007 at 10:25pm
     Jules, once hair hits the shoulders, it has a mind of its own. That's why so many women become frustrated and keep cutting back. I actually *wanted* DW to cut her hair way back when, b/c of so many sloppy hair days. But, her goal was only a stumpy ponytail then, so it mattered little to me.
     Well, it depends on how much you *really* want long hair for yourself. If you dream about it, maybe a slight layering of **only** the bottom inch or two will help it lay better. Once it's a couple inches past shoulders, it's a breeze, except for the feeling that all of a sudden growth is not noticeable. No matter what, there will be a period of several months up to a year when some days will be difficult. But if you love long hair, it's necessary pain for ultimate gain. Good luck, Bob Big%20smile    

Posted By: hannebash
Date Posted: October 07 2007 at 9:11am
Jules, i think you are my long-lost hair twin. I have sent you an email before regarding having similiar issues. anway, I have a bob as well and constantly find myself trimming it to keep it in good shape. I want to grow it out but I can't stop trimming it. I make very little progress as a result. I'm totally ocd about my hair being kept neat. I will trim it up and tell myself it's in order to get it in shape to grow it out, and it's the LAST time I will do a major trim, but lo and behold, I trim it again. I have dark brown hair, and now I'm wanting highlights just like I had before, that i went short to grow out. Ugh!

Posted By: KB
Date Posted: October 07 2007 at 3:59pm
Wow.  I'm so glad I found this post.  I'm going through the same thing with my bob!!!  I have no idea how I'm going to make it through the awful awkward stage that I know is just looming on the horizon.  Ugh.  I swear if I can get it to grow long, I am never ever cutting again. (yeah right)

Date Posted: October 07 2007 at 10:53pm
LOL! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! The only thing that has saved me at all is having clip on fake ponytails. On days when it looks like utter crap I just pull it back and clip on the instant hair.
I just get tired of doing that all the time (those clips hurt your head!) so then I want it to look nice and neat and trim againbash

Hannebash,I do remember you.Yes we have alot of similarities!

Bob S~good to know. I do really want to have very long hair I'm just so impatient! You are right though,once it hits the shoulders it gets easier. just getting to that point that sucks.
Kb If I had known before bobs were this big a pain to grow out I wouldnt have done it! I do like how they look but geez.

Thanks for responding,just knowing others are  going through this makes it easier (I was starting to wonder if it was just me or if others had this problem)daisy

Posted By: Aishwarya Rai
Date Posted: November 28 2007 at 2:43am
This is really a problem and I too am passing thru the same prob, as I am crazy on getting my hair cropped in BOB, but something which stops me from taking the extreme step is that in case my hair do not suit me, I ll have to keep it short, as when it wll grow up, it will luk shaggy, and so always or throughout my life wil i have to

-------------
long hair is asset, but cutting is awesome, makes a girl look sexier, hotter, modern and gorgeous. Not? Can you kindly tell why u shy, and if u have cutting, what inspried you for it.....AISHWARYA RAI

Posted By: conrad
Date Posted: November 29 2007 at 9:46am
Not sure if this applies or not. But when my wife was pregnant, she took prenatal vitamins and her hair grew like a weed along with her fingernails.  She also increase her exercise routine.  I know the vitimans work, but not too sure of the health issues taking prenatal vitimans when your not PG?  So maybe ask a medical person!

Date Posted: November 29 2007 at 10:40pm
It shall be better if your wife replies. I shall prefer any lady to share her experiences, and I have no doubt gone thru their views earlier, and I repeat, I was thinking I am the only one, who thinks so, but really gals or women face this prob and so, my worries were not minplaced, but any solution?

-------------
long hair is asset, but cutting is awesome, makes a girl look sexier, hotter, modern and gorgeous. Not? Can you kindly tell why u shy, and if u have cutting, what inspried you for it.....AISHWARYA RAI

Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 7:15am

Nice, sorry i tried.

Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 11:04am
What did u try?

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Aishwarya Rai Aishwarya Rai wrote:

It shall be better if your wife replies. I shall prefer any lady to share her experiences, and I have no doubt gone thru their views earlier, and I repeat, I was thinking I am the only one, who thinks so, but really gals or women face this prob and so, my worries were not minplaced, but any solution?

Firstly, my reply was for http://talk.hairboutique.com/member_profile.asp?PF=27535&FID=47 - julesyjul88 .  Secondly, Im not sure how my wife replying with the same information makes it more or less valid.  

So JULESYJUL88, i hope this info was useful.  It was just an observation about my wife, however, if you would like my wife to repeat it, i will certainly ask her tooWink

Date Posted: December 01 2007 at 1:26am
Conrad,that is the beauty of pregnancy...alass it is not the pre-natal vitamins that make the hair grow fast,but all the extra hormones and protein the pregnant lady's body is producing.My hair grew super fast when I was pregnant too.Shame that's not an option for me at this time,LOLWacko
I dont think it's too safe to take pre-natal vitamins while not PG because there are extra vitamins in them a non PG person doesnt need and it could POTENTIALLY be dangerous.(for instance,too much iron can be bad)

However,a muti-vitamin does help wonders.

Since I started this thread,I have changed my hairstyle in order for it to grow out easier. I kind of "angled it" in the front.Now I dont have to constantly trim the back to keep the bob shape and can let it grow.

The exercise is great advice.I think you're right that anything that gets the blood circulating will increase circulation in the scalp as well.

Date Posted: December 01 2007 at 8:53am
Good luck, and munch on thoses vitamins.  My daughter loves the Scooby Doo multi-vitamin!  I understand angled in the back, but how do you angle it in the front?

Date Posted: December 02 2007 at 5:57pm
I cant really explain it...I'd have to find a picture and post it.
Basicly,it looks kinda layered.The hair is cut at an angle in the front so that it starts out longer and gets shorter as you go up sort of framing the face.
It grows out nicely since the back grows faster.

Date Posted: December 03 2007 at 4:56am
Great
that u got it cut, but can we see ur photos

plz....................
We request u to post or paste it here.......

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 4:09am
I dont have any pics yet of what it looks like at the moment. I'll post an old blonde pic of me so you can get the idea of what I'm saying though.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee229/sentia30/longhair.jpg">
See how it is long and then gets shorter near the front? Anyways,that is kinda how I cut it now.Except it is much shorter,and not blonde LOL.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 9:02am
Thanks for the clarification!LOL
I get it now!

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 7:07pm
I too feel grateful, even as I wait for u to put up ur current photo over here........ Thanks again!!!

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 7:32pm
haha,ok.Glad you guys get itSmile

Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 9:30am
 too feel grateful, even as I wait for u to put up ur current photo over here........ Thanks again!!!  too feel grateful, even as I wait for u to put up ur current photo over here........ Thanks again!!!  too feel grateful, even as I wait for u to put up ur current photo over here........ Thanks again!!!
                                                                                                                                       I

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 9:31am
BUT WE WAIT FOR  UR LATEST PHOTO TO BE PUT UP HERE

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 5:38pm
OOOKKK...you might be waiting a long time.Because my camera is broke and with Christmas coming I cannot afford a new one right now.
the pics I have on here are old ones I scanned.

Posted By: rknoedler
Date Posted: December 08 2007 at 9:16pm
i know that i'm coming into this way late but I just wanted to offer some advice from my stylist that I found helpful three years ago when I grew mine our (i'm going back to a crop soon though again). She said to wear shirts without a collar like a dress shirt.  Her theory was that when you wear a collard shirt your hair will hit the collar and start looking messy.  So no collar means that your hair can go all the way down to your shoulders without being interupted.  It sounds silly but it worked for me.
Good luck and when in doubt stick with a smoking hot short cut!
rknoedler

Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 11:58am
Originally posted by rknoedler rknoedler wrote:

i know that i'm coming into this way late but I just wanted to offer some advice from my stylist that I found helpful three years ago when I grew mine our (i'm going back to a crop soon though again). She said to wear shirts without a collar like a dress shirt.  Her theory was that when you wear a collard shirt your hair will hit the collar and start looking messy.  So no collar means that your hair can go all the way down to your shoulders without being interupted.  It sounds silly but it worked for me.
Good luck and when in doubt stick with a smoking hot short cut!
rknoedler

Ok, and, what about ur pic? Can we see urs?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window