Print Page | Close Window

A Soft Black

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Announcements
Forum Name: Introductions
Forum Description: New Visitors Please Stop By & Introduce Yourself & Tell Us About Your Hair & Interests. We love to meet all our new visitors! So please post here.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=56862
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 11:43pm

Topic: A Soft Black
Posted By: vettefan
Subject: A Soft Black
Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 7:29am
Hello, I'm new here.  I've been coloring my hair for a very long time.  I naturally have black hair.  I've always liked it medium to light brown during the summer months when I have a tan.  Now that fall and winter are on the way and I wanted to go darker.  My roots are black and I decided to go back to natural.  Confused  Big mistake.  I used Preference Soft Black (#3) but it's not soft enough!  Hahaaha......so here I am looking completely unnatural and very unhappy. 
I'm ready to pick up a box of something else and change it (I was hoping the color would lighten up in the three days since I did this.).  I don't know how long to let the color process or if using Dark Brown (#4) will even make a difference.  Preference makes a line of color that is aimed at very dark hair (I used to use it and it was good) but I don't want to be Ultra Light Ash Brown or Ultra Light anything.  At this point I'll settle for Dark Brown. 
My questions are whether Dark Brown will affect this at all and how long to let the color process.  Any thoughts? 

Thanks,
Anna

Replies:
Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 8:29am
You may want to give it some time.  It will fade, but not in as fast as 3 days, you need to give it 2 weeks at least.  You may also want to consider trying a clarifying shampoo to see if it removes some, but not all, of the dye.  If that does nothing, you can also try mixing baking soda half and half with some shampoo and washing with that and seeing if that doesn't lighten it up just a little.  (You will need to moisturize your hair well after doing either one of those, they are stripping washes).  You can use mayonnaise on your hair for an hour, then wash out with regular shampoo, and condition - or just use a heavy silicone conditioner 2 or 3 times after doing those washes.

Dark Brown dye now will not make a difference.  Color won't lift color.  If you want to dye it again, you will have to remove the black first with a color remover.  This will probably leave your hair orangy, so you will need a brown dye with a blue or green base.  Be sure to choose a lighter brown dye though, your hair is porous from repeated dyeing and is absorbing more of the dye pigment than it used to.  If you do choose to remove the color and redye, 20-25 minutes is usually enough, though it should say how long to use it on the dye.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Print Page | Close Window