Print Page | Close Window

Help-Do Hats or force/clips damage hair

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=57464
Printed Date: June 29 2024 at 3:31am

Topic: Help-Do Hats or force/clips damage hair
Posted By: borne.blonde
Subject: Help-Do Hats or force/clips damage hair
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 7:36am
I noticed a post about Hair Halo's and it reminded me WHY I started to wear a hat/visor for example like nike not a full cap.  I noticed recently the strain of putting my hair on top of my head and clipping it in a "bun" lol was pulling the hairs out of my head or making it "frizzy" unless I am having some sort of vitamin problem.

Do Hats like that lead to hair damage-Loss?
My hair is so heavy It is easier to just put it up for sports & regularly really.

Thank you for any input. I have thick blond hair so it is hard to notice but bugging me. 

I wake up with a frizz poof right on top of my forhead (maybe because I sleep with a pillow on it lol.

Replies:
Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:32pm
Hi borne.blonde,

I think the phenomenon you refer to is a form of traction alopecia.  I'm convinced that stuff like you describe can cause some amount of breakage and hairloss.  It isn't easy to avoid such stresses.... all you can do is try to accommodate as well as you can, including by changing your style from time to time (up, down, back... later, rinse, repeat).

-------------

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 7:34am
I think also that the hat is probably the cause of the traction pulling.  If your bun is too tight, that can pull the hair out too.  Try not to pull too tight and only use hair safe things (like ouchless elastics that don't have that metal thing on it). 

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Print Page | Close Window