Print Page | Close Window

Trimming Hair

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=58429
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 5:39pm

Topic: Trimming Hair
Posted By: paper
Subject: Trimming Hair
Date Posted: December 22 2007 at 8:38am
I'm letting my hair grow, and I was wondering how often I should get a trim. I don't want to cut the new growth off, but I want my hair to look good too. The worst part, I'm growing out layers!

Replies:
Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: December 23 2007 at 10:33am
There are no set rules.  If you want it to grow, the best thing to do is not cut it unless it needs it, and make sure you calculate your growth so you don't cut off al the new growth.  If your hair grows a half inch a month, getting 1/4 inch cut off every 3 months will help you keep it in good shape, and you only lose 1/2 months worth of growth (providing you don't use heat or chemicals - then you might need more off).  Many people can go longer without a trim, if they take good careful care of their hair (I admit I'm not the most careful person).

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: December 23 2007 at 10:47am
Thanks Susan.

I love your avatar, very pretty. Smile

-------------

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: December 27 2007 at 5:44pm
     Actually, Paper, having the little layering at your ends will probably make your grow-out easier. Women who enjoy perfect neatness have difficulties when hair hits the shoulders, b/c hair ends curl every which way at this point. Layering the tips makes the ends look *intentionally* wild and playful. By shoulder blades, hair starts behaving much more compliantly.
     As for trims, I'm a big believer in letting it go until it reaches a point where a slight cut will leave the wearer a satisfactory length. I've seen severe trims by unscrupulous stylists which leave women too discouraged to continue. Oft'times, the old short look soon returns, and the woman believes that she "just can't grow long hair".  Good luck, Bob Wink

Date Posted: December 27 2007 at 7:05pm
Thanks Bob for the advice. That makes sense about growing out layers. I was debating whether to keep cutting it until it gets one length, then let it grow. But, I have decided not to trim it until the back at least hits my shoulders. And, I do trust my hairstylist. Smile She will support me and just snip off ends.

-------------

Posted By: Mike46019
Date Posted: January 01 2008 at 9:43am
Good Luck Paper. If you are going to reach your shoulders you don't have far to go.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Date Posted: January 01 2008 at 10:10am
Thanks Mike Smile

I'm just glad the layers aren't bothering me like I thought they would!

-------------

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: January 03 2008 at 11:35am
Thanks for the compliment!  Your hair is a pretty rich color, I bet it will look great long!

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: January 03 2008 at 4:45pm
Thanks Susan, I'll keep you posted as it grows.

-------------

Posted By: JB521
Date Posted: February 10 2008 at 12:12pm
Hi Everyone--  Paper, You and I are in the same boat :)
I don't know how to post a picture like you did...or I'd show ya!

-------------
came from a super-short razor cut. CG since April 2008
3a-M-iii

Date Posted: February 10 2008 at 4:56pm

Cool, love to see. Smile

I uploaded my pic @ photobucket.com then put it in my profile.

-------------

Posted By: Mike46019
Date Posted: March 03 2008 at 9:24pm
Hey Paper looks like growing it out is working for you. Keep it up.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Date Posted: March 04 2008 at 9:07am
Thanks Mike for the support!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window