Print Page | Close Window

Too much hair coming out after brushing

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=59282
Printed Date: September 28 2024 at 10:33pm

Topic: Too much hair coming out after brushing
Posted By: Dee8
Subject: Too much hair coming out after brushing
Date Posted: February 20 2008 at 5:13pm
When I brush my hair (usually when I just come out of the shower) I lose what I think to by wayyy to much hair. I'm a guy with long hair and the females in my family don't seem to lose much at all. When I am done with a comb its just coated in hair. Could this just be my type of hair? is it unhealthy? whats wrong, and how can I fix it? thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Hellfrozeover
Date Posted: February 21 2008 at 3:19am
If you brush your hair when it's wet, it might be breaking in the comb. Use a wide-tooth comb and be very gentle with it when it's wet.

Date Posted: May 17 2008 at 9:43am
I tried brushing after it dried and it made no difference. I am just losing a ton of hair if a leave it for a week without brushing I lose way to much hair as well. Any ideas?

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: May 19 2008 at 8:33am
Are you sure its really too much?  A normal head loses up to 100 hairs a day.

Say you wear your hair in a ponytail, then you take it down to shower, all those hairs that fell out during the day and got trapped by the ponytail are going to all look like they're falling out at once in the shower.  It looks like a lot, but may still be normal.

Since you mention the females in your family, are you concerned about male pattern baldness because your hair actually looks thinner on your head?  Look at your mother's brothers.  The gene for this runs on the mother's side, so if her brothers have male pattern baldness, this may be what it is.  I believe that massaging your scalp once a day can help stave off even this genetic type of baldness, at least for awhile longer.  I don't have any scientific studies to quote to back that up, but its certainly worth a shot since it may help and you can do it yourself for free.

p.s.  That's true, its best not to comb or brush wet hair if you can avoid it, unless your hair type does a lot better with this method (such as with naturally curly hair, doing that helps a lot to tame frizz).

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: May 21 2008 at 2:26pm
I am sure its too much because the comb is basically engulfed in hair. I usually where a ponytail and the hairs that come out at the end of the day from the hair tie are very few.

Definitely not male baldness, not only because its not a gene on my moms side, but because I am only 18.

My hair is naturally frizzy and a bit curly... it seems my hair is very knotty... like when I get up in the morning and brush it, the brush doesn't slide through I have to spend a long time on it.

Date Posted: May 22 2008 at 7:18am
My brush also gets engulfed in hair...it still may be normal, but if you feel your hair starts to look visibly thinnner, you would then need to go to a doc to make sure everything's alright.

If you are pulling through knots to brush them out, that can cause damage (if you hear any popping hair sounds when you brush it, you are breaking hairs).  You may want to try oiling your hair (there are instructions here on this forum), using a conditioner that helps prevent more knots, or sleeping with it braided to help prevent knots.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Gekigangar
Date Posted: July 10 2008 at 5:45pm
i am a guy and i used to have that same problem as well
it really started to make me depressed cuz i love my hair i dont want to be bald

i started to freak out alot, and my parents would tell me its natural,  but my bathtub would be full of hair after i took a shower and i would brush out alot, it was everywhere really

then i started taking men's formula multi vitamins, because my diet is not good (im a really picky eater lol)  and i noticed over time that i stoped losing as much hair, i also used to use the same shampoo for like 5yrs or longer,  so i started switching them up every month or so, i hear its good for the hair and scalp to do that,  conditioner helps too,  i use conditioner like every 2 or 3 days  

now my hair is not falling out nearly as much,  it still does a little but im not longer worried about goin bald

also (this is my first day here) but from what ive read so far, apparently diet and lifestyle affects your hair health,  which would make sense, and ppl are sayin to only shampoo every few days or so, which ima have to work on, cuz i shampoo every day

so  i suggest looking at your diet / eating habits,  maybe start taking multi-vitamins,  they make me feel better overall, cuz i lose out on alot of stuff i need from the junk i eat
and look into the shampoos your using n whatnot

my hair is doin fine now,  all my friends are jealous of it

Date Posted: July 16 2008 at 8:02am
I'm glad you found the solution to your problem!  If your diet lacks in anything, one multivitamin can surely help a lot.  

-------------

Posted By: eneyman
Date Posted: July 21 2008 at 7:25pm
I have the same problem, i'm 21, white guy, and alot of hair comes out when I brush it, I am growing it out long but I have really dry and dead roots and the hair looks thin and weak when I look at the hairs that come out, how do I cure this problem>??

Print Page | Close Window