Print Page | Close Window

Help this busy mom pick a new look!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: General Hair Talk
Forum Description: A free wheeling discussion of hair related topics.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=59674
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 7:05pm

Topic: Help this busy mom pick a new look!
Posted By: az.twinmom
Subject: Help this busy mom pick a new look!
Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 10:32pm
Hi there!

I'm really bored with my hair. I've had it the same way most of my life. I'm thinking of cutting it off but I need something easy to fix (I have 3 year old twins) that takes little time. It's naturally curly and thick. I use a BIG curling iron to make it look this straight and saves me time. Here are a couple pictures. Any ideas?

Replies:
Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 10:33pm

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 12:13am
First of all, you have a lovely face:  great eyes, cute nose, high cheekbones, and fantastic smile/lips.
The reason I am saying this is because you have way too much hair - it overpowers all those great features.
I wouldn't hesitate about going shorter, but you really need to let us see your hair in it's natural state. If you are looking for something easier/less time, than straightening is probably not a good idea (except for special times)

Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 10:28am
I see what you're saying about natural state and I don't really have a pic. but can tell ya without product it can look dry and a frizzy type of curl. Now it's so long I really can't wear it curly because of the weight. When I've cut it to my shoulders before there is NO curl  except for a little wave down at the bottom because my curl doesn't start at the scalp. I hope that makes sense! LOL.

I've cut it to my shoulders and it basically looks the same in a shorter version. I've done chunky highlites and like it but I'm not good about making it to the salon every 4 wks. and it grows so fast re-growth is there in no time. It basically lives in a pony tail!! I'm not good about making it to the salon but if it's a cute style I will make the time to do it to keep it's shape.

Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 10:30am
I thought this was cute. Do you think this would work for me?

Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:17am
The picture didn't show up for me.  I understand about your hair...that was my concern if you went short, would it go really curly, but sounds like it wouldn't.   While some people like pony tails...if that is all you do it sounds like you should go with something very different.
Here are some pics or what I think would work with your face.

Jenny%20McCarthy%20with%20bob
I also think you could go really short.  You should get a style that shows off your cheekbones - either layers that "break" at your cheekbones or a style that frames them.

Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 12:49pm
Shoot I wish you could see the picture I put on there. It's from this site. Do you know how to upload those?  I like the one of Lisa Rinna and not quite brave enough for Jenny! What length do you need to stay away from so you don't look chunky in the face?

Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 7:40pm

Does the pic you tried to post have a style #?  I could just put that in to find th pic.

There is no way your face would look chunky in any cut.

Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 8:25pm
Style # 11650 It's in women's hair styles gallery

also Style # 14162 in the same gallery

Posted By: conrad
Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 10:36pm
how short are you wanting to go, and ill see if i can find some picks!

Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 10:44pm

I think they are "ok".  To me they look about the same as what you have just shorter.  I think they would still overpower you - taking away from your face.  I think the Lisa Rinna style would be your best look - yes, it would be a big change for you but it would be easy for you with the kids. 

Here are some others:
Meg%20Ryab%20Hair%20Styling%20Tip
http://affiliates.allposters.com/link/redirect.asp?c=c&search=15949&AID=176236&PSTID=1%3cID=2">Lisa%20Rinna  Little longer version of the Lisa Rinna cut.
You might want to post in the short hair forum to get other opinions and more posts.

Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 12:30am
How about some of these:

Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 10:42am
I like all of those! I just don't know how brave I am. LOL!

Not trying to be too picky but do you know of any cuts that are less styled and more of a classic look? I am the farthest thing from trendy you'll ever meet. My husband thinks only long hair is sexy. I'm trying to convince him change is good and it will grow back if I hate it! The shortest my hair has been my whole life has been to the shoulders.

The 2nd Lisa Rinna's picture I love. I just don't know if I'll know how to fix it like that. The 2nd to the last one of Conrad's is my favorite out of that group. My hair is really thick I wonder if it would look too bushy 

Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 12:43pm

My wife had the Lisa Rinna cut (currently has a pixie cut) for several years.  She was able to do it rather easily.  She would use some mouse then blow dry and "flick" it up with a small brush.  She would play it up or just let dry naturally and tuck behind the ears for a smoother look.

Most guys say they love long hair (I use to) but now I love short hair - it is so much sexier to me.

Posted By: Snipette
Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 4:33pm
I think the hairstyle that would suit you best is the one Loveshorthair first posted of Lisa Rinna (whoever she is).  From how you describes your hair type, the natural wave and so on, I feel it would work with this style and not against it. 
Of course i understand that it is a very big change, especially as your husband  says he likes long hair. However a lot of guys that say that also love short hair, but for some reason are more shy of saying so as they do not want to give you the impression that they do not like your long hair, as lots of girls think it makes them femine instead of the fact that it's the person inside that controls how much of a lady you are. Short hair can even be considered more sexy than long hair. Look at when Natalie Portman shaved her head (i'm not suggesting you do), but people commented on how great she looked, how sexy, how femine and she had no hair at all.

If you want to go shorter then pick a style you are happy with and then go for it. It sounds like your hair grows pretty fast so if you don't like it, it will not take you long to grow it out.  Somehow i think you will love it short and keep it short for a number of years.

All the best and let us know what you decide to do.
S

Posted By: trekgod
Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 4:59pm

Wow, your hair is beautiful the way it is. If you indeed prefer shorter, you remind me a lot of Teri Hatcher. One gradual change would be the first pic posted while the other would be much shorter although would work great on you.

http://images.askmen.com/women/votes_350/pictures_350/lois_lanes/teri_hatcher.jpg - http://images.askmen.com/women/votes_350/pictures_350/lois_lanes/teri_hatcher.jpg
http://www.southalabama.edu/mathstat/info/why_math/hatch2.jpg - http://www.southalabama.edu/mathstat/info/why_math/hatch2.jpg

Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 6:45pm
Ok, I'm getting brave and booking my appointment. I got hubby's approval on the Lisa Rinna one. I think part of it looking so good is her face is so pretty. This is a BIG change.

Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 10:04pm
Best of luck with your new adventure.  I too like Conrad's 2nd to last picture and the last one also (which is basically the same cut just styled a little differently).

For those that didn't take the time to look at the two pictures you mentioned above, here they are:

I also agree with loveshorthair; you have great features and could wear your gorgeous hair just about anyway you'd like.  Have fun and please let us know how it turns out.

-------------
HAWG

Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 10:45pm
OK! What about Hunter Tylo's shorter version?? I don't know if you know who she is (she's on a soap) but she's got a similar version of the Lisa Rinna cut but in a little longer version. It barely sweeps the shoulders. I'll try to post a link since my pictures aren't showing up. I think it's safer for making such a BIG change all at once.

http://www.thehairstyler.com/how_to_style_hairstyle.asp?style=Celebrity&length=&styleno=2032&Model=f131 - http://www.thehairstyler.com/how_to_style_hairstyle.asp?style=Celebrity&length=&styleno=2032&Model=f131

Date Posted: March 17 2008 at 5:02am
Here is Hunter Tylo's cut:

This would be a good cut also, especially if you are hesitant about going shorter. 
Glad your husband is open to the change.  You don't give yourself enough credit...I think you are prettier than Lisa Rinna.

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: March 18 2008 at 4:04pm
     I know that your hair may be gone already, but you and your long hair look spectacular, AZ! Good luck, Bob Smile

Posted By: Snipette
Date Posted: March 19 2008 at 5:38pm
I agree with Loveshorthair, the Hunter Tylo picture would also look great on you if you didn't want to go as short as the Lisa cut. Plus i also think you are better looking than Lisa, so you have no worries which style will look good on you as both will look great.

Good luck and when's your appointment?
S

Posted By: Sqeek
Date Posted: March 19 2008 at 6:27pm

I don't like the wispy bangs on you and I also think your forehead is pretty and should be shown more.  That's just me though.  I think you should cut your hair to just below your shoulders and either add full bangs or don't have any.

Date Posted: March 19 2008 at 8:15pm
My appointment is 1:00 Thursday! I will post a picture as soon as I can!
I won't have time for color and highlite that day but will get that later, I think that will complete the look. I'm taking the Hunter Tylo pic with me.

Date Posted: March 20 2008 at 8:04am
Good luck, and in the imortal words of my wifes hairstylist "Lord Jesus you are gonna look good!"

Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 12:20pm
Ok here's the back. I got 8 inches off on Thursday and got another 3 off on Saturday because I didn't think it was very lattering at the length once I got home. I didn't like the way she styled my front so I'll update a front view pic later today. I like it but I got such thick hair I don't know if I can pull it off without looking so poofy! She thinned it and layered the heck out of it but it's still BIG! 11 inches total. WOW!

Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 1:32pm
I dont see anything wrong, it looks great.  Cant wait to see the front and sides!
Thanks for sharing!

Posted By: Hal
Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 2:20pm
Looking great!!!!  Can't wait to see the front!~

Flat iron.. My daughter has simular hair and it does wonders for her!

Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 3:32pm

Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 3:34pm

Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 3:36pm

I don't know why those came out so big! Anyway, I'm getting highlights in a week and am anxious about that. I think I'll like it better then. So far I've only used my super big curling iron on it. I'm not real good with the flat iron but I do have one.

What product makes it look more defined? Like a wax or pomade? I like that look over the softer look.

Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 3:56pm
Wow... very very nice... and yes wax will define the layers... rub it on your fingers and pull the through the ends.

I think the key to the flat iron is small sections.

Can wait to see the highlights!!!!!!!  Blonde I hope, maybe even very blonde?

Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 4:17pm
ZOINKS!!!!!!!  BoooYaaaaa!

Great cut and style!!

Posted By: HairStyleDiva
Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 6:53pm
looks great

-------------
Go for it change is good, Hair grows back.

Posted By: DMB61
Date Posted: March 24 2008 at 8:14pm
Hi,

It looks great, big move but well worth it. So how does your husband like it, you didn't tell us.

P.S. you could go even shorter if you wanted and look super.

Posted By: paper
Date Posted: March 25 2008 at 7:40am
Wow! That hair cut is so you. Perfect Wink

-------------

Posted By: Heratic
Date Posted: March 25 2008 at 12:16pm
That is a superb transformation - what a great cut for you :)

-------------
Its your hair, your choice and your decision

Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: March 25 2008 at 8:08pm
Looks totally awesome.  I'm thinking the highlights will look great also.  Thanks for the update.

-------------
HAWG

Date Posted: March 30 2008 at 5:50pm

Does look good.  I think you should go with some bangs also - maybe some brushed across your forehead. 

Hope you are enjoying your decision - it probably will take some time to get use to it and to figure out exactly how you want to style it.

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 5:27pm
Yeah, I have to be honest I'm not loving it. I hope the highlight helps! I like the back but have no clue how to style the front. I've tried the flat iron, big curling iron and curling air brush thing. It just gets super poofy. I don't know if I should have her thin it out tomorrow when I get it highlighted?  I know this sounds sooo bad but I want to look into some clip on extentions! I just do not feel like this is "me". Thankfully my hair grows fast so if I can't figure this out it won't be very long before it's back to normal.

Date Posted: April 02 2008 at 7:27am
Tell your stylist how you are feeling.  Tell her/him the trouble you are having getting the look you want.  Your stylist should be happy to teach you to style it the way they do. 

I have had 3 long tem women in my life only on got that a new look required new skills to recreate the new look.  The other 2 would get hugely different styles... style it the same and pretty much look the same.

You can do it...

Posted By: arch94
Date Posted: April 02 2008 at 8:32pm
Wow! I don't know how I missed out on this thread!

AZ...you look fabulous! I agree with Hal that your stylist should really help you learn how to style it at home. My wife has gone from long to short several times over the years, and each time the stylist has helped her re-learn how to style the new 'do. Give it some time would be my advice.

How did your hi-lites turn out, and how does hubby like the new you?

I think it's adorable, but you're pretty either way.

-------------
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!

Date Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:19pm
The highlights turned out good. I'm really struggling with getting used to this. I feel like I went from "hot mom" to "soccer mom"Unhappy LOL! I don't mean to sound vain but it's a big change! I ordered some Jon Renau hair extensions to clip in and see if I like to wear every once in awhile.

Thank you so much for all the ideas! Change is good, just got to get used to it.

Posted By: arch94
Date Posted: April 05 2008 at 11:45pm
You're quite possibly the hottest soccer mom i've ever seen!!!

-------------
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!

Date Posted: April 06 2008 at 9:39am
You could come watch me play soccer anytime!!! (I have no clue how to play soccer!)  However, i beleive that that designation is for people who let themselves become soccer moms.  Not that there is anything wrong with soccer moms, some of the ones that i have seen are smoke'n hot that just have kids who like soccer!  Change is just a phase of uncertanity, once you get used to it, you may like it.  My wife did, but hated the transition time of the uncertanity of "did i do the right thing, have i become a soccer mom, what does everyone else think"  Everyone thought it was a stunning change.  Many women have come up to her while shopping (i was there when it happened) and said they loved her haircut and wished that they had the courage to cut it like hers!  I have said it before, and i will say it again, i think short hair exudes confidence and sexyness in a woman.  No hiding behind long tresses and covering up their facial features...it says, this is who i am, like it or not!  But hey, that is just my opinion.  Dont get me wrong now, i have seen some very beautiful women ( including my ex girlfriend who had hair down to her lower back) with longer hair, i just prefer the shorter tresses!

My .02
P.S.  Absolutely stunning hair cut!

Posted By: karen s
Date Posted: April 06 2008 at 2:13pm

This is a huge change of hairstyle for you. You probably feel you went out of your comfort zone, but give it a good few weeks to get used to the new you. I personally think you look fab, you did before your re-style now your new cut defines you face and shows off your cheek bones better. You look lovely.

Karen

-------------
karen sanderson

Date Posted: April 06 2008 at 3:33pm
Here's my highlights. Thanks for everyone's inputs on everything. IT IS a comfort zone thing I think. No different than if someone else lost or gained 50 lbs. when you're not used to something it kinda screws with your head! LOL! I'm done ranting about the whole thing.  IT'S JUST HAIR!!Thank you so much for your help and if anyone has any ideas on how to style it differently let me know!

Date Posted: April 06 2008 at 7:08pm

WOW!  That pic with your girl is absolutely STUNNING.

I wished you liked it more because I think it is a big improvement.

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:39am
Flipping back and forth between your old and new looks shows one thing for sure.  Your old style showed off your beautiful hair, your new look shows off your beautiful face!

Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 4:11pm
     First, I think it looks fine, az mom. Second, you are entitled to your feelings. Some women don't feel like themselves with short hair; others vice versa. My wife is among the former, and she actually chastises me for "letting" her cut her hair short in the past! (lol) Fortunately, barring the unforeseen, her hair will be staying LONG for good now!
     If you are like her, enjoy the changes as your hair grows! Big%20smile Bob

Posted By: LexLuv101
Date Posted: April 24 2008 at 11:54am
I think it looks gorgeous, really! :)

Posted By: shortvslong
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 12:44pm
wow! both before and after are stunning!!! but, if you were ever interested you could go shorter

Date Posted: April 29 2008 at 11:01pm
Here's the Jessica Simpson extensions I got. I figured they would be easiest for me being a newbie with them! Anyway since time as went on I'm getting more used to the short hair but love the fact I can have the 2 different looks using the extensions. They pretty much look just like my old hair worn naturally. 

Date Posted: April 30 2008 at 5:10am
Well it is obvious that you prefer longer hair.  To me you look better with the shorter cut but it is your head.  You don't look bad with the extensions - I just don't like extensions.   You are lucky in that you look great whether shorter or longer - you have a gorgeous face, which is probably why I think you look better with it shorter.  Shorter hair brings out your face more in my opinion.  Thanks for sharing your looks with us.

Date Posted: April 30 2008 at 7:39am
WOW... the best of both worlds... how long does it take to put the long hair in?

Date Posted: April 30 2008 at 11:33am
Originally posted by loveshorthair loveshorthair wrote:

Well it is obvious that you prefer longer hair.  To me you look better with the shorter cut but it is your head.  You don't look bad with the extensions - I just don't like extensions.   You are lucky in that you look great whether shorter or longer - you have a gorgeous face, which is probably why I think you look better with it shorter.  Shorter hair brings out your face more in my opinion.  Thanks for sharing your looks with us.

Like I said I'm actually getting used to the short. I don't know if I needed it to grow 1/2 inch or what but It's "growing on me!" Ha! Ha! The extensions are soooo easy. I just get out of the shower and put some gel in my hair let it air dry, pull the top layer up and stick them in and go. It's fun to have the 2 different looks and everyone forgets I had my hair cut! I'm going to have fun styling the short cut as it grows a little I think. I don't know if I'll let it grow as long as it was before or not.

Posted By: carieann99
Date Posted: April 30 2008 at 11:57am
First of all you are really pretty and lucky, you have choices the shape of your face is nice. I think you would look beautiful with Lisa Renas hair, you'd look even better, good luck.Clap

Date Posted: May 01 2008 at 2:06pm
Well.. you sure seem happy now...keep us posted.

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 2:55pm
az.twinmom, you look great in every photo you've shared here.  You can't go wrong no matter what you choose now and in the future.

FWIW I seem to be among the minority in this thread that prefer your long hair look.  Pretty face and pretty hair. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2008 at 2:44pm
      Hey, azmom, I'm glad that you could afford such a stunning hairpiece. I'm with Dave on the length thing myself. (lol) But your face could carry ANY cut. Best, Bob Smile

Posted By: love it short
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 12:53pm
You look stunning with the short cut, it really suits you well!

Print Page | Close Window