Print Page | Close Window

Newbie needs your opinion + help!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Lace Front Wigs
Forum Name: Lace Front Wig Talk
Forum Description: Lace Front Wig Talk
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=60311
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 4:01am

Topic: Newbie needs your opinion + help!
Posted By: frenchie1
Subject: Newbie needs your opinion + help!
Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:06pm
Hi Everyone!
I have wearing hair extensions for several years now but I am totally new to the world of lacewigs! new
Here is my last install pics on HB (bohyme hair), so you can check my hair color and the look I want to achieve:
http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=59715 - http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=59715
First of all, I have to say I was blown away by how your apps look, all of you... you guys are doing an amazing job!Thumbs%20Up
I have read tons of posts and the newbie thread on this board a few times already but I have a bunch of questions remaining!...book
I have blonde hair, and I would like to purchase a blonde unit, but I haven't seen yet a convincing blonde lacewig with a flawless hairline, and that is my number 1 preocupation... the hairline...
I understand from reading you that California Lace Wig is a really good company, so I was thinking of ordering my future lacewig there, but at the same time, if someone thinks of another company that does a great job with blonde hair that would be nice!...
I came across this picture of a blonde lacewig -not that many on the web!-
http://item.slide.com/r/1/0/i/tiEdr9Tb6j-2buhC06kWSIsUlMCTYnSN/ - http://item.slide.com/r/1/0/i/tiEdr9Tb6j-2buhC06kWSIsUlMCTYnSN/
 and it kind of scared me because the lace is showing quite a bit, especially if you zoom on it.
I want your opinion...
Do you think this is a decent hairline for a lacewig? The pictures I have seen on this board are so much nicer IMO, I can almost never see anything.
If there's something 'wrong' with this app, can you tell me what it is so I don't do the same mistake? Is it the type of lace, the color of the lace that is too light, or not enough density at the hairline, or not enough baby hair?Wacko
This is a picture of another blonde unit with a nicer appearance IMO, tell me what you think...
http://www.londonlacehair.co.uk/images/gallery_models/Picture_033.jpg - http://www.londonlacehair.co.uk/images/gallery_models/Picture_033.jpg

I would love your input on all this, and any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance!Embarrassed
Frenchie

Replies:
Posted By: Curlygirl11
Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:15pm
I think you did an excellent job with your weave ! If you send Annette at California Lace Wigs pics of the hair you want to mimic she should be able to duplicate it. Her units also have very natural hairlines.

The lf in the first pic that you didn't like may not be the problem but it's hard to tell from the pic. It looks to me like that lady just had a bad application. Another woman might be able to work magic with that exact same unit and make it look flawless.

Posted By: happydesta
Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:17pm
Good blonde units can be done. Nicole Kidman almost always wears one in her movies.

Posted By: intl_babygirl
Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:24pm
if you go with a chinese vendor try rex ... i usually have blonde highlights in my wigs i havent had any problems with his hair...

also ... if you get a virgin unit you can take it to a colorist who can lift the color for you ...

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:52pm
Hey welcome we have a few ladies that wear the lf's in blonde that are white ladies that wear them and in blonde.. Jacksun has european hair which would better for you and better able to have the blonde hair.. eastside is white, i can't remember her new name on here.. i've got to fine her thread.. but he's a chinese vendor..i know most that order for the first time from a chinese vendor are a little nervous but this one is reputible and the ones we've listed and you will get your unit, its the western union payment that makes you nervous.. if you decide on one post and we'll let you know if its a good one.. if you can find a vendor with european hair its a better choice for the blonde color's the picture that you posted was not a very well applied unit.. extensions can do a job on damaging your hair but lf's can get it back healthy again...christina wear's them too

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:55pm
i need to help christina get that part together..

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:13pm
Thank you guys SO much for your answers!...
Curlygirl & Sexibeach, you say that the application isn't good, can you tell me more? So you don't think there's a problem with the lace color? (too light?)
Happydesta, I had no idea Nicole Kidman was wearing LF in her movies, good to know!
Intl Babygirl, ideally, I'd like to have it colored already. I would really like some asian hair -Bohyme is partly asian and I like it a lot- because I want straight and sleek style.
Sexibeach, you're right about hair extensions. What really bugs me though isn't the potential damage on my real hair but the maintenance. My own hair is quite oily so I have to wash my hair/blowdry/style daily, which is quite time-consuming.
On this picture of Christina just above, you can see she's got a bunch of baby hair on the front, maybe that's the key to a more natural hairline?

Oh another question: I am more tempted to try swiss lace instead of french, even though I have read that it is not recommended for newbies. I just know that unless the lacewig is totally 'invisible' I will not wear it, so it might be a better investment, even if the wig ends up lasting less, what do you think? Any newbies who has tried swiss lace on their first try?

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by frenchie1 frenchie1 wrote:

Thank you guys SO much for your answers!...
Curlygirl & Sexibeach, you say that the application isn't good, can you tell me more? So you don't think there's a problem with the lace color? (too light?)
Happydesta, I had no idea Nicole Kidman was wearing LF in her movies, good to know!
Intl Babygirl, ideally, I'd like to have it colored already. I would really like some asian hair -Bohyme is partly asian and I like it a lot- because I want straight and sleek style.
Sexibeach, you're right about hair extensions. What really bugs me though isn't the potential damage on my real hair but the maintenance. My own hair is quite oily so I have to wash my hair/blowdry/style daily, which is quite time-consuming.
On this picture of Christina just above, you can see she's got a bunch of baby hair on the front, maybe that's the key to a more natural hairline?

Oh another question: I am more tempted to try swiss lace instead of french, even though I have read that it is not recommended for newbies. I just know that unless the lacewig is totally 'invisible' I will not wear it, so it might be a better investment, even if the wig ends up lasting less, what do you think? Any newbies who has tried swiss lace on their first try?

i understand your concern it was mine's as well, i personally have never worn a wig in my life and always didn't like the idea of it, until i saw how natural's lf's look.. swiss is more undetectable, but that's why i say go with a chinese vendor b/c its less in expense and therefore if you beat it up you won't feel like you spent an arm and a leg and destroyed it.. b/c until you learn the app skills down pat you will beat it up a little bit, and then spend more if you want too. but you might find you don't need too.. but that's up to you, especially since you do need the european hair, which with an american vendor could be very costly.. chinese you won't spend as much.. and some might have the kind of hair you usually use but you need to ask them if they have that type of texture.. personally i think brazilian or european would be best for you b/c every vendor doesn't feel comfortable going too light on certain hair textures, b/c they feel it damages the hair and it  might tangle. .these units are not suppose to tangle easy if the cuticles are aligned.. yes i always order baby hairs b/c is does help with the application to hide your flaws.. i personally cut the lace all the way back to the hairline so you can't see it.. you can always like i do, order transparent swiss lace b/c it works really well for me, and i'm sure it will do the same for you.. it melts into my skin and i'm rather light complexed... i use to order light brown b/c every vendor's light brown is different some came too dark for me, so i basically stick to transparent..

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:33pm
holly from Girls next door .... hugh hef's gf ... often wears lacefronts...

you can also seperatley order blonde hair and send it to china and have your wig made ...

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

i understand your concern it was mine's as well, i personally have never worn a wig in my life and always didn't like the idea of it, until i saw how natural's lf's look..

I know! I started looking at the lacefront board pictures after Charon posted a pic of a gorgeous closure piece on HB hair extensions board. I am just amazed by how natural they look!ShockedTongue
Thanks for your advice to go with a chinese vendor first, Rex seems like one of the best, and I saw a beautiful blonde unit on his fotki:
http://public.fotki.com/rex7197/lace_front_wigs/picture-014-1.html - http://public.fotki.com/rex7197/lace_front_wigs/picture-014-1.html

I know that I would want to cut the lace as close as possible from the hairline, and get a bunch of babyhairs to hide my mistakes!...

JLTabron told me via PM that she thought the lace from the first picture -the not-so-good-one- might be too light for her complexion and that she might need to color it.
How do you color transparent swiss lace though?Geek

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:41pm
i don't know what kind of hair textures he has but you have to ask him that b4 you order.. when i cut the lace i use pinking shears b/c it cuts zig zig and not straight across therefore making it easier to blend with my skin..

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by intl_babygirl intl_babygirl wrote:

you can also seperatley order blonde hair and send it to china and have your wig made ...

Is that right? Ooooooh!!!!!!!! Does it mean that I can send my Bohyme hair (which I know matches my own hair) and have it used to make a lacewig?!!Big%20smile

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:45pm

i don't know what kind of hair textures he has but you have to ask him that b4 you order.. when i cut the lace i use pinking shears b/c it cuts zig zig and not straight across therefore making it easier to blend with my skin..

Thanks for the tips Sexibeach!
Any idea on how to color a lace that is too light though? (in case transparent lace is too light for my skin tone)
Feel free to re direct me to an old post on this topic!Embarrassed

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:46pm

Originally posted by intl_babygirl intl_babygirl wrote:

Is that right? Ooooooh!!!!!!!! Does it mean that I can send my Bohyme hair (which I know matches my own hair) and have it used to make a lacewig?!!Big%20smile

yes you can but please be sure their hair is cuticle aligned.. do you have tangling issues with your extensions now? b/c if you do you might need to look further into other companies that have cuticle aligned hair b/c you wouldn't want to have a wig made and it tangle on you.. its so important.. like naturegirl.net has great hair.. and Extensions Plus does as well they are used in hollywood, then the cost of making a wig would be less if you provide the hair..

http://www.naturegirl.net/ - http://www.naturegirl.net/

http://www.extensions-plus.com/ - http://www.extensions-plus.com/

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:00pm
Yes, bohyme hair is cuticle aligned, it is good hair. I have wearing Bohyme for a few years now and I love this hair. It doesn't last forever, like all extension hair or most of it, I wash my extensions every day, and it goes through blowdrying and ironing every single day. I can wear this hair for like 3-4 months straight.

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:04pm

Yes, bohyme hair is cuticle aligned, it is good hair. I have wearing Bohyme for a few years now and I love this hair. It doesn't last forever, like all extension hair or most of it, I wash my extensions every day, and it goes through blowdrying and ironing every single day. I can wear this hair for like 3-4 months straight.
well that's great altho lf's b/c of the knots involved blow drying isn't a good thing, and if you flat iron get a maxi glide moisture is key to make sure the life span of your unit last.. i mean i can understand if that's what you do, you do you.. but i'm just letting you know its not something recommended b/c the follicle is no longer attached to the hair, so moisture is key.. using a good moisturizer and conditioning is essential to keep it for a long time.. let me know if you need any help we're here for you..Wink

Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:10pm
I hear you Sexibeach, I understand that I am not going to live handle the hair from a lacewig the same I can handle my extensions hair...
I know that I won't need to wash a lacewig as often as my hair, that's for sure! Blowdrying we'll see, and the straightening iron every once in a while, with a heat protectant I guess...
Thanks a lot for you help!!
Sorry to go back to this Sexibeach, but do you have any tips on how to color a transparent lace that would be too light for my skin tone?

Posted By: pockyisgod
Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:20pm
Sorry to butt in here, but X-Tina (lol) wears LF's???? I really thought I was good at detecting LF wearers but I never guessed about her!

Posted By: Divavocals
Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:44pm
Hey Frenchie,

Getting good blonde hair that you can use to have a LF made is going to be your biggest challenge.. IMO most Chinese vendors do not do a good job with blondes because they over process the hair (highlights are ONE thing a full head of blonde hair is quite another).. You and Sherrie wear the same colors, and Sherrie has been looking for a CV who does good quality blonde hair for a while now, and has had little luck.. If you can find a CV who has GENUINE European hair, you will be better off..

As for options for hair you can send to a vendor to have made into a wig, there are a few options who do good quality blondes. (at varying price levels)
  1. Extensions Plus European blonde hair is OFF THE METER in terms of cost.. I can't remember how much it is off the top of my head, but I think Sherrie still remembers the cost.. It is GORGEOUS though..
  2. Giovanni & Sons. This is the hair Sherrie purchased when she visted Los Angeles last year and wore for her last install.. They sell very nice quality blonde hair in the colors you desire..
  3. Wagmans Perfect Tress hair.. The colored line now comes in blondes in the longer lengths you like..

HTH.. Can't WAIT to see you in your first lacefront..

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 5:12am

I hear you Sexibeach, I understand that I am not going to live handle the hair from a lacewig the same I can handle my extensions hair...
I know that I won't need to wash a lacewig as often as my hair, that's for sure! Blowdrying we'll see, and the straightening iron every once in a while, with a heat protectant I guess...
Thanks a lot for you help!!
Sorry to go back to this Sexibeach, but do you have any tips on how to color a transparent lace that would be too light for my skin tone?

i doubt that it would be too light for your skin if i can wear it.. but there's a tip in the newbie thread by breh on using rit dye color pens if you need it.. Divavocals is correct i was gonna add those sites like wagmans and the others as having great hair to make into a wig..

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:28am
What do you guys think of Bohyme hair for a Lacewig though?
I also have my virgin russian hair but I need to color it again, it doesn't need much work, but the color isn't exactly right.
Diva, thanks a lot for your advices. If I can send a chinese vendor my own hair that I am used to wear it's a win win for me, I will pay less for the unit and will know what kind of hair I'm getting.
I have to be honest though, coming from hair extensions lacewigs seem a little scary. But I have seem so many gorgeous pictures that I want togive it a shot!
Sexi, I remember reading about this rit dye color pen, I thought maybe there was other options. I remember reading a post about some sort of bandaid with makeup on it, that you put under the lace.
Anyway, thanks everyone for your help!Embarrassed

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:34am
you can send the hair you want and the cost for construction will be considerably lower, i remember one lady sent the hair and the cost for construction was lest than 100 dollars. check with the one you select first and submit your measurements and theyll give you a cost.. i doubt you need to worry about the transparent..

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:53am

What do you guys think of Bohyme hair for a Lacewig though?
I also have my virgin russian hair but I need to color it again, it doesn't need much work, but the color isn't exactly right.
Diva, thanks a lot for your advices. If I can send a chinese vendor my own hair that I am used to wear it's a win win for me, I will pay less for the unit and will know what kind of hair I'm getting.
I have to be honest though, coming from hair extensions lacewigs seem a little scary. But I have seem so many gorgeous pictures that I want togive it a shot!
Sexi, I remember reading about this rit dye color pen, I thought maybe there was other options. I remember reading a post about some sort of bandaid with makeup on it, that you put under the lace.
Anyway, thanks everyone for your help!Embarrassed
Frenchie,

Bohyme hair seems to wear well for you, and you KNOW this hair.. We all know that they make good quality blonde hair.. So I absolutely think it's a GREAT idea to make a lacewig out of it..

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:01am

you can send the hair you want and the cost for construction will be considerably lower, i remember one lady sent the hair and the cost for construction was lest than 100 dollars.

Oooh that's good news! I'll probably do that then!
I still have to figure out the right color for my roots -they are a little darker than my weave hair- and I'm good to go!

Diva, thanks for your comment, yep, I know Bohyme hair that's for sure!
One more question:
If I wear about 6 oz of hair with my extensions, how does it translate when it comes to a lace wig?
I mean with lacewig you talk about light/medium density so I wonder how can I make sure I will have about 6 oz of hair on my wig? Any tips?

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:42am

you can send the hair you want and the cost for construction will be considerably lower, i remember one lady sent the hair and the cost for construction was lest than 100 dollars.

Oooh that's good news! I'll probably do that then!
I still have to figure out the right color for my roots -they are a little darker than my weave hair- and I'm good to go!

Diva, thanks for your comment, yep, I know Bohyme hair that's for sure!
One more question:
If I wear about 6 oz of hair with my extensions, how does it translate when it comes to a lace wig?
I mean with lacewig you talk about light/medium density so I wonder how can I make sure I will have about 6 oz of hair on my wig? Any tips?

When you are working out your specs with the vendor (make sure it's clear that you are providing the hair) you can ask them to give you an estimate on how much hair you need to send.. But I'm sure one of the ladies will chime in with the answer..

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:58am
Does Rex have a good customer service?

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 11:05am

Does Rex have a good customer service?

yes he does..

Posted By: fugee
Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 11:20am

eastside is white

SHH!  I haven't told my co-workers yet ... LOL

Cool thread, Frenchie -- congratulations on your quest to become Known Caucasian LF Wearer #4.  (JK).

Sexi is right: Jack Sun currently offers Russian Remy hair in 14 - 22 inches.      I just ordered blonde hair from him as an experiment, so it looks as though we'll be sampling the blondes of China together. 

Meanwhile, the cool thing about the hair you have still in the pak is that it's virgin hair, so you can send it off to your favorite Chinese vendor to have it colored prior to ventilation. 

Just make sure that he or she knows what he or she is doing when the natural hair color is not a standard 1b or 2.  It's a safe bet that your CV is a natural brunette who works primarily on dark hair, so he or she might be confused by the coloring process for a naturally blonde color tab (I know I am).   

If you don't know your exact root color number, neutral colors are a safe choice: 1b, 2, 8, 6, 16, 18 or 22.  You don't want your roots to "pop", especially if the match isn't exact.  This pic from MWAW uses both a cool blonde root color and a warm blonde lowlight color for dimension:

http://www.mywigsandweaves.com/color_chart_enlarge.php?id=129 - http://www.mywigsandweaves.com/color_chart_enlarge.php?id=129

Note: If you do order from MWAW, please be sure to rename your LF on arrival.  You don't want to her growing up to be a porn star (LOL @ the names!).

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 11:37am
Originally posted by fugee fugee wrote:

eastside is white

SHH!  I haven't told my co-workers yet ... LOL

Cool thread, Frenchie -- congratulations on your quest to become Known Caucasian LF Wearer #4.  (JK).

Sexi is right: Jack Sun currently offers Russian Remy hair in 14 - 22 inches.      I just ordered blonde hair from him as an experiment, so it looks as though we'll be sampling the blondes of China together. 

Meanwhile, the cool thing about the hair you have still in the pak is that it's virgin hair, so you can send it off to your favorite Chinese vendor to have it colored prior to ventilation. 

Just make sure that he or she knows what he or she is doing when the natural hair color is not a standard 1b or 2.  It's a safe bet that your CV is a natural brunette who works primarily on dark hair, so he or she might be confused by the coloring process for a naturally blonde color tab (I know I am).   

If you don't know your exact root color number, neutral colors are a safe choice: 1b, 2, 8, 6, 16, 18 or 22.  You don't want your roots to "pop", especially if the match isn't exact.  This pic from MWAW uses both a cool blonde root color and a warm blonde lowlight color for dimension:

http://www.mywigsandweaves.com/color_chart_enlarge.php?id=129 - http://www.mywigsandweaves.com/color_chart_enlarge.php?id=129

Note: If you do order from MWAW, please be sure to rename your LF on arrival.  You don't want to her growing up to be a porn star (LOL @ the names!).

SEE THAT'S WHY I COULDN'T REMEMBER YOUR NEW NAME YOU HAVE SO MANY LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Posted By: fakeizme
Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:01pm
Frenchie: I am not a lace expert like these great ladies, but I will put my 2 cents in! Why not just try ordering a front lace wig, in a highlight colour of your choice, Indian hair,silky straight from a really reliable vendor and see if you like it first? Instead of doing all that work of sending them Bohyme hair (great hair) and getting a wig back that you are afraid to work with?! Better yet, order a lace frontal or closure in blonde that covers your head and you can mix it with your extensions to get a feel for wearing a piece. And, I would suggest wearing it "behind the hairline" --- leaving a bit of your own natural hair out in the very front --- this will be the most natural way. Also, doing it this way, you can use tape or LG like you do for your extensions! Just a thought!Tongue

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:50pm

[

LolLOLLOLLOLLOL
Man I want to see some of your pictures now!!! So you wear blonde hair too?
How is MWAW? Sorry I am catching up on the acronyms here!...

I know I will have to be careful with the roots color, if it's not natural looking I'm screwed!Confused
I think I am around 6/14B in bohyme color.

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by fakeizme fakeizme wrote:

Frenchie: I am not a lace expert like these great ladies, but I will put my 2 cents in! Why not just try ordering a front lace wig, in a highlight colour of your choice, Indian hair,silky straight from a really reliable vendor and see if you like it first? Instead of doing all that work of sending them Bohyme hair (great hair) and getting a wig back that you are afraid to work with?! Better yet, order a lace frontal or closure in blonde that covers your head and you can mix it with your extensions to get a feel for wearing a piece. And, I would suggest wearing it "behind the hairline" --- leaving a bit of your own natural hair out in the very front --- this will be the most natural way. Also, doing it this way, you can use tape or LG like you do for your extensions! Just a thought!Tongue

Fakeizme, thanks for your 'non-expert input'! lol
I don't think I would mind sending Bohyme hair for a lacewig, I know Bohyme is expensive but I think it might be a good financial decision still, because the price of the unit would be greatly reduced if I send my own hair.
I like your idea of placing the lacewig behind the hairline, but I haven't seen any video tutorial on yourtube about this, nor any pictures from HB members. If someone has a link for me about placing a lacewig behind the hairline, I'd love to you.
One concern with this method though: I would be afraid to damage my front hairline by gluing a wig on top of my front hair. It must be a lot of weight to have it glued to your own hair, not like a weave, so I wonder if it would be safe.
I know it would look super natural if I could do this though, we'll see!...Embarrassed

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:09pm
if you wear the hair behind your hairline it would be like wearing skin wefts using the same tape technique.... except its just in the front... and then attached in the back

umm... why didnt anyone tell me jack sun has russian hair ? Geek

Posted By: amazon1147
Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:21pm
Kirsten Dunst also wears LFs. She wore them in the spider man movie.

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:24pm
and john travolta

John%20Travoltas%20Lacefront

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:33pm
and Gwen Stephani  (scroll down to see pics)

http://www.lphair.com/about_our_wigs.php?osCsid=2beee98d35924f27b3a721f93bed56fd - http://www.lphair.com/about_our_wigs.php?osCsid=2beee98d35924f27b3a721f93bed56fd

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:42pm

Nice picture of Gwen Stefani! I made a quick search on this board to see pictures of Lacewig glued behind hairline and can't find any. Do you think BHM would have some?

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:48pm

yes I have seen a few of those pictures on BHM

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:48pm

[QUOTE=fugee]
Man I want to see some of your pictures now!!!

Your pics are awesome!   I'm strictly natural right now, giving my hairline a break till the blonde Jack Sun arrives (I've never tried blonde before, so we're both newbies). 

But I did get bored last weekend and did some DIY micros in color #2 (those "HH Yaky 7.99"signs are just impossible to resist), which lasted approximately 3 minutes.  There's got to be a pic of that around here somewhere ...

Update: Aha, the 3 minute braids (see below; zoom in to actually watch them shed).  That's 100% gen-u-wine Milky Way hair -- ghetto fabulous!

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:24pm

Too cute. Love the waves and care-free feeling about it. Suits your personality.Smile

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:25pm

Nice picture of Gwen Stefani! I made a quick search on this board to see pictures of Lacewig glued behind hairline and can't find any. Do you think BHM would have some?

I did a search myself on BHM on behind the hairline installs. I'm going to go and see if I can find it for you again. I know one of the more recent ones was by Phenomenal Joy...be right back

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:31pm
I did a quick search too. The website is kind slow though

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:43pm
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=121691&KW=behind+the+hairline -
Here's a few I found so far:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=121691&KW=behind+the+hairline

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=103327&KW=behind+the+hairline - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=103327&KW=behind+the+hairline

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:55pm
I read these two already, it's funny! Thanks for looking for this though!Embarrassed

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:58pm
well i doing it behind the hairline takes another level of technique altho some have done it beautifully its a challenge.. so have you made any decisions yet?

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:03pm
I think I'll go with Rex, and I will use some Bohyme 16 and 14B and maybe 24, but I want to tone the hair and get rid of some red tones first.
I am tempted to go with a swiss lace, or swiss lace at the front and french everywhere else, with free parting.
I know I will want some highlights/lowlights, so I'll need a mix of at least 3 colors I am thinking. 

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:12pm

I think I'll go with Rex, and I will use some Bohyme 16 and 14B and maybe 24, but I want to tone the hair and get rid of some red tones first.
I am tempted to go with a swiss lace, or swiss lace at the front and french everywhere else, with free parting.
I know I will want some highlights/lowlights, so I'll need a mix of at least 3 colors I am thinking. 

sounds great i would start emailing him about this now, and asking him about a price for making it with you providing your own hair.. be sure to take your measurements 3 times or more to be exact..

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:22pm
Sure!
I want to do it this week end, when I have plenty of time!
I am curious to know how expensive a unit would be if I provide the hair!
If I want to wear my lacewig behind the hairline, I need different measurements though, right?

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:38pm
well i don't wear mine's behind the hairline so i don't know if you need to measure differently.. for me it defeats the purpose i want to nourish my natural hair and that would required glues or sewing in my hairline and that won't do for me.. but honestly there's always surprises with that first unit whether or not you get them correct and depending on the vendor as well.. i would not want to tell you or anyone else to shorten your measurements and then your unit be too small..nothing like that disappointment to get it and it doesn't fit, b/c after all they are custom made for you.. i've had the pleasure of that happening to me on my first order and it came up short, and i was soooooooooooo upset.. and actually i love the challenge of making mine's look perfect and very realistic all with the lacefront alone.. my pic is in the page 2  of the newbie thread.. in the natural part tip using the steri strips for my part..

edt: that's a virgin chinese remy that's over 2 years old, and its never had heat on it ever! its pasted the test of time..

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:58pm
Yeah, I like the post you made about the steri strips, very creative! Did you do it because you had a problem with the unit or do you do this for most of your lacewigs?
zoom on this picture:
http://item.slide.com/r/1/0/i/tiEdr9Tb6j-2buhC06kWSIsUlMCTYnSN/ - http://item.slide.com/r/1/0/i/tiEdr9Tb6j-2buhC06kWSIsUlMCTYnSN/
what scares me is how shiny the lace looks, it looks plasticky and doesn't have much hair to cover it at the hairline, that's kind of what want to avoid at any price...
I like to play around with hair too, and make my extensions as seamless as possible

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 9:06pm
actually when you part the hair it makes the grids of the lace appear more, especially if your knots are not bleached very well, and that's the problem more than the hairline, b/c the hairline can be dealt with with the baby hairs and cutting the lace back.. so that's why i had to find something to resolve that problem with parting the hair, and the steri strips did that b/c it make the grid of the lace disappear and it actually give an appearance of a real scalp..

Posted By: Curlygirl11
Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:02pm

I like your idea of placing the lacewig behind the hairline, but I haven't seen any video tutorial on yourtube about this, nor any pictures from HB members. If someone has a link for me about placing a lacewig behind the hairline, I'd love to you.
One concern with this method though: I would be afraid to damage my front hairline by gluing a wig on top of my front hair. It must be a lot of weight to have it glued to your own hair, not like a weave, so I wonder if it would be safe.
I know it would look super natural if I could do this though, we'll see!...Embarrassed

Hey Frenchie: Here's a link to the CLW website: http://californialacewigs.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index - http://californialacewigs.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index

Look at the pictures of the white female in the customer photo gallery that is displayed on the home page. That is JazzyGeri and she has her natural bangs out in the front of her unit. She goes by JazzyGeri on this board but her name is "Geri" on BHM. You can pm her to get info on how to apply your unit behind the hairline. She also has a link with more pictures of the same unit installed behind the hairline. She explained it to me once before but I honestly don't remember all the details of how she did it. HTH

Date Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:08pm
^ Amen, Geri gets an unbelievably realistic app behind the hairline, sometimes just using clips (I think).

Date Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by fakeizme fakeizme wrote:

Too cute. Love the waves and care-free feeling about it. Suits your personality.Smile

Thank you very much! There's something to be said for "human" hair that can be sealed with a lighter.  Sometimes I wonder if girls who do their micros with Remy hair walk around leaving a trail of individual braids behind them on the floor.  

Date Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:27pm
Curly, thanks for posting that --- I know it's not even my thread, but that's a great link!

Date Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:31pm
Oh Frenchie: I also wanted to make a note to tell you to watch the density when you order your unit. Unless you want big hair, I don't think you'll want to get like 100 % density, especially at the front! By the looks of how you wear your hair, I think you would want light to extra light density at the hairline, especially if you do wear it behind the hairline. Could be bulky otherwise. I'd love to know what the great ladies here have to say!Smile

Date Posted: April 09 2008 at 1:19pm
Sexibeach, I understand. The part is trickier than the hairline, gotcha.
Do caucasian girls have a harder time hiding the grid of the lace? I have never been able to see it on 99% of the pics I have seen to far. The only times were.... well, Mister Travolta and the blonde lady from this link:

Another thing, the way I wear my hair naturally, since I was 14 years old is a little like this girl here:
http://www.londonlacehair.co.uk/images/gallery_models/Picture_033.jpg - http://www.londonlacehair.co.uk/images/gallery_models/Picture_033.jpg
I have a little sort of 'wave' in the front, so if the lace shows it's gonna be real ugly!
Makeup and little tricks like the steri strips can help I guess!

Curly, thanks for posting this. The only white girl I see from the customer pics gallery is a brunette but no bangs, so I don't know if she's the one you mentioned.

Fakeizme, thanks. I know I would want a light density in the front, then medium in the back. With tons of baby hair!Approve

Date Posted: April 09 2008 at 2:24pm

Do caucasian girls have a harder time hiding the grid of the lace?  

Not necessarily!  No matter what color your lace is, the lace is more visible on a surface that is darker than the lace than on a lighter surface.  You'll notice this the first time you go to work with a little scrap of lace clinging to your sexy black sweater.  

Another but much less hot way to notice this is to have 1b knots showing up the grid on your new unit.   

But this is a relative question since lace comes in so many different colors.  You definitely want the color of the lace to be lighter than the skin on your hand -- but not lighter than the skin on your scalp (or steri strip simulation) or your darker scalp will show up the lighter grid. 

HTH!

Print Page | Close Window