Forum Description: Lace Front Wig Talk
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=60315
Printed Date: June 26 2024 at 2:55am

Topic: Straps
Posted By: Prettyeyz9
Subject: Straps
Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:07pm
Hi Ladies,

Well, it seems from the awful rash on my neck after wearing my new LF for only two days that I'm allergic to the tape. Cry  I guess the high pony is out for me.   I purchased from an AV before I got "educated," so this was no small investment.  I need to be able to wear this hair!    Thanks to so many of you I was looking kind of cute...for two days at least.  LOL  Can anyone tell me where I can find some straps to sew into my LF? 

Replies:
Posted By: Curlygirl11
Date Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:36pm
Girl don't give up THAT easy Stern%20Smile  A lot of us, myself included, have had allergic reactions to certain tapes or adhesives in the nape area because it tends to be more sensitive than other areas. I hope you have taken the unit off and cleaned your skin though. Use some hydrocortizone or A&D Zinc ointment (diaper rash cream) on the skin overnight and it should be fine by morning.

I had an allergic reaction to ST once and I was pissed cuz that's my favorite tape for the nape area. What I discovered when I removed the unit was that I had applied it a little bit below where my skin protector was and that's why it got so badly irritated with raised, itchy red bumps that dang near drove me crazy. Since I now know how sensitive my nape can be I'm careful to put 2 layers of skin protector back there and a layer or 2 of Vapon No Tape or Davlyn on top of that. By doing so the Super Tape that I had the allergic reaction to back there only touches the lace of my unit and not my skin. It hasn't been a problem since then. Or you can just try a different tape than the one that irritated your nape but no matter what, always put a layer or 2 of skin protector between your skin and whatever tape or adhesive you're using.

Posted By: griff
Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 5:40am
Prettyeyz,

I agree with CG!  Don't give up! I have such sensitive skin that I have a permanent black box around my belly button from the adhesive on the bandaid after having my tubes tyed.  Trust me, I know about tape allergies!  I use a skin shield and blue liner tape.  I cut it in half vertically and then each half piece I cut into three horizontal pieces.   For liquid adhesives, I use mastix p spirit gum and/or invisibond.  These do not irritate my skin.  Also, be careful about removers. Anything with citrus causes a bad allergic reaction for me, so I stick with PURE or 91% alcohol.  Good luck!

Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:39am
Thanks ladies.   I used scalp prep and blue liner and removed it with C-22.  Griff, maybe it was the C-22 that irritated me, too.  I'm almost afraid to try it again, it's so bad.  My neck looks and feels awful. I took the unit off and that's when the irritation started in full force.  A&D did nothing for me.   Curly, those bumps were driving me insane. I tried Caladryl too - nothing.   I'm doped up on Benadryl right now, both the pill and the topical, so I feel better, but I'm not too sure I want to pay this high a price to be cute(r).Smile  I might try another tape and just alcohol to remove the unit when this becomes a distant memory.

Posted By: intl_babygirl
Date Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:33pm
do a patch test with different tapes ... i find that supertape is the devil but proflex long blue stuff with the holes ... works just fine ... also you might need a thicker skin protector like cavilon

use wig clips ... much more comfortable than straps ... Smile

Date Posted: April 10 2008 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by intl_babygirl intl_babygirl wrote:

do a patch test with different tapes ... i find that supertape is the devil but proflex long blue stuff with the holes ... works just fine ... also you might need a thicker skin protector like cavilon

use wig clips ... much more comfortable than straps ... Smile

Thanks babygirl.  I'll try the clips.  I think I can find those.  I used proflex on the front and didn't have any problems, so I'll try those on the nape when I work up the nerve and my skin clears up again.

Posted By: missmodesty
Date Posted: April 11 2008 at 10:10am
i agree
use the diaper rash cream
it works wonder
i had the rash too and it went away overnight
dont give up
the lf game is all about ups and downs lol

Print Page | Close Window