Print Page | Close Window

Why did my blond Highlights turn orange?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=60511
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 7:03am

Topic: Why did my blond Highlights turn orange?
Posted By: Kosmo
Subject: Why did my blond Highlights turn orange?
Date Posted: April 16 2008 at 1:34pm
Every time I go to a public pool my blond highlighted hair turns orange-red at the tips.  I have long blond hair naturally, and I know my stylist uses a bleach highlighting agent.  What is causing this weird color change, what can I do to prevent it (other than no more swimming - I love to swim) and what can I do to change the current orang-ish color?  Thanks for any tips!

Carrie

Replies:
Posted By: Slipknothartgir
Date Posted: April 16 2008 at 2:02pm
I'd get a shampoo that gets rid of cholrine in your colored hair.I wish I could name some.What u could do is call a salon & ask them what kind to get at keeping it from turning orange.Plus ask them what to use to get rid of the orange color.I don't wanna tell u to use something that may make it worse.I color mine red, so I don't know much about blonde hair good,luck! :)

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: April 17 2008 at 7:27am
A mix of chlorine and copper pipes in a pool will make lightened hair turn greenish, but not orange.  That's a little strange that its turning orange.  (To get rid of any greenish tint from that, use a dilute vinegar rinse after you go to the pool, or a clarifying shampoo.  Anything acidic like that will help rinse off the copper residue).  Since its turning orange though, I'm not too sure what to tell you.

Are you getting it lightened just to dark blonde, or to a very light blonde?  Maybe if its darker blonde, the pool water is messing up your toner or the base in the dye that was used, allowing more orange to show through.  If its lighter highlights, like yellow or white, I'd guess its a residue and try the clarifying shampoo.  If your highlights are dark blonde though, I don't know if I'd try that, it might make it worse.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Print Page | Close Window