Print Page | Close Window

Hair Regrowth & Care after Chemotherapy

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: General Hair Talk
Forum Description: A free wheeling discussion of hair related topics.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6091
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 8:51am

Topic: Hair Regrowth & Care after Chemotherapy
Posted By: sroceo
Subject: Hair Regrowth & Care after Chemotherapy
Date Posted: November 08 2002 at 1:32am
I lost all of my hair earlier this year due to chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer. I am an AA female, who previously relaxed and colored her hair.

My hair is coming back now, but my gosh! it`s coming back in with more gray than I had before (it`s been a long rough year!). In about 4 more weeks, I think I will have enough hair to go scarfless, however, I do want to color.

Any suggestions on hair coloring? Please refresh my memory. If I start with Henna am I committed to it forever until I decide to cut it all off or let it grown out before I go to another type of coloring?

Do I have to stick with `reds` to cover my gray? I was told before that I had to use some red to get complete coverage, but the beautician always over did it. I want a more natural look. I have light complexioned with yellow undertones in my skin.

Thanks for any information.

Replies:
Posted By: Carol
Date Posted: November 08 2002 at 7:55pm
Sroceo,
the important thing is not so much your hair as your health. i sincerely hope you have made a full recovery from your cancer. i am a completely bald woman, i have alopecia universalis, meaning i have no hair at all, yet i have a wonderful husband and two small children, a boy and a girl, and have a good life! whatever happens with your hair, please take care of yourself, follow the medical experts advice, and God be with you!
Love, Carol

-------------

Posted By: Johan
Date Posted: November 08 2002 at 9:34pm
Sroceo,
I have to agree with Carol, many women live a wonderful long life without hair, your health is the most important thing.
I hardly qualify as an expert on black hair since I am white, but I am married to a mixed race woman who is part black, part white, and a style that looks good on black women or mixed race women is a very short crop, the twa look! And if you are a black woman, and since most black women have black or brunette hair, go with dark hair in an attractive short style! Either that or go with a short grey haired crop! there are some very sexy middle aged women, white, black or mixed race that look great in a short grey or partially grey, short cropped look, with long dangle earrings, an attractive dress and scarf, etc.
I also am glad you wear headscarves, there are so many attractive ways women can wear headscarves, especially women with very short hair!
Best of luck lovely lady!

-------------

Posted By: Johan
Date Posted: November 08 2002 at 9:41pm
And Sroceo darling, since you have very short hair now, check out the writings on my ultra-shorthaired thread for women! Many beautiful women with short hair, ultra-short hair or the fashionable bald look(including my beautiful pregnant wife Monique) have written in, you may enjoy reading it!

-------------

Posted By: sroceo
Date Posted: November 09 2002 at 2:32am
Carol, Johan:
Thank you very much for your replies.

Yes, I have to keep telling myself that my health is more important. I guess I`m just anxious to get back to livng life as normal.

Believe it or not, at first I was a little upset about my hair. This is why I jumped and purchased an expensive prothesis. But after the chemotherapy wore me down and I got very ill, I realized that the hair was not me! That is, having hair did not make me feel any better.

Thanks again. I`ll take your words under advisement.

Cheers.

-------------