Print Page | Close Window

Looking for some advice

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=60962
Printed Date: September 28 2024 at 10:36pm

Topic: Looking for some advice
Posted By: Tobe
Subject: Looking for some advice
Date Posted: May 11 2008 at 7:17pm

Hi there. I'm new to posting here, even though I've browsed through the forums for a while now. Just looking for some general advice because I'm getting restless with my hair, which usually means that I'll do something I'll regret! So here's my hair story...

I've been growing my hair for what seems like forever. During my school years I was strightening my hair pretty much every day, basically because everyone else did. This meant that my hair didn't get a chance to grow much before all the damage meant it would snap. But I'm doing better now that I'm at uni and the challenge of getting up for lectures on time means that I don't have time to do anything other than wash my hair and tie it up. I am still prone to straightening it if I'm going out, say once a week. So my hair loves me right now in comparison to the past few years and has behaved and grown accordingly.

I should be happy because it's reached my waist, which has always been my first goal... but I'm not for a few reasons, which I'm hoping you can help me with: a) I love wearing it down and apprechiating the length but for the first time since I was a kid it does nothing but get tangled. Instead of enjoying combing it when I get home I dread it. b) my hair has started falling out. I think it's more than it should be, but I could just be noticing it more since it's longer. When I wash it, the shower plug gets clogged with hair and when i comb it the floor is covered in it. And it's coming from the roots, not breaking. c) I'm bored with it now. I'm considering getting layers put in or something, just to make it a bit more interesting but I'm nervous of scissor-bearing hair dressers. I usually henna it ever couple of months to keep me entertained but I think it needs something else now.

I still want to carry on growing it because it doesn't actually look that long because it sits weird on my shoulders so hopefully with a few more inches it'll look good. Also, it's been a dream for me to have long healthy hair since I was little so now that I'm getting there I don't want to get it cut and end up regretting it as I've done so many times in the past. So any advice would be great! I'll try and get some pictures up too

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Addy
Date Posted: May 12 2008 at 8:00pm
Hi and Welcome. 

I'm pretty new to this forum and should be considered as  *still learning*LOL  but it sounds like it might be dry <tangling>. 

How many times a week do you shampoo/condition it? 

As of a couple months ago, I've cut my poos back to every other day and I'm gonna try and grab another day with a condition only wash. 

I wanna buy some Mayo for my hair soon.  I hear that's pretty good for it!

Do post pics!  I'm still in the process of growing out.  I have a thread going about growing out and it has a pic of my hair.  I can't wait to have it really long!Big%20smile

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: May 15 2008 at 9:34pm
Hey Tobe, welcome!

Don't give up on your dreams!  My thoughts and suggestions:

(1) Find an oil that your hair likes.  Some types of oils work well for some people but not for others.  Choices include coconut, jojoba, almond, etc.  (Essential oils should be diluted in a "base" oil). Just a few drops in your palms, rub together, then smooth onto your hair.  Repeat if necessary.  This takes some practice, as it may get lank from too much oil, but that's easily remedied during your next wash.

(2) Is it really falling out more, or is that just the perception, since longer strands shed look like more hair (not more strands).  Things that may help include daily scalp massages (a minute or so is all it takes), and herbal supplements (if you can buy them where you live) including silica and biotin.

(3) Can you trust a friend to trim the tips in a straight line?  Be cautious with stylists.  Some will tell you they will "trim" your hair for you, but their idea of a trim may not coincide with yours.  Your hair is long enough you might even consider trimming it yourself.  Internet search for "Feye self trim" for guidance.

I'm with Addy -- we'd love to see a picture or two. Smile

Hope this helps!

-------------

Posted By: Lengthygoal
Date Posted: June 23 2008 at 7:27am

I'm also new and trying to grow my hair out. Its about 2 inches below my bra line and I'm hoping to grow it to my knees. I usually wear my hair in a lot of different clips to keep my self amused with it. Hair sticks are also great. If I get the urge to layer it or are just bored I go and buy a new clip or find new ways to wear my old ones. Wal-Mart has a great selection and most of them are only $3 or less. I really recomend the Karma clip! Its awesome and manages to hold my thick hair really well.  I'd recomend styling it different to try keeping yourself amused with it.

Print Page | Close Window