Print Page | Close Window

The great Ion debate

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: General Hair Talk
Forum Description: A free wheeling discussion of hair related topics.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6161
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 7:04pm

Topic: The great Ion debate
Posted By: Lyris
Subject: The great Ion debate
Date Posted: December 10 2002 at 2:01pm
I searched the boards for previous posts about ion dryers, which are supposed to infuse your hair with negatively charged ions that keep hair from getting as frizzy. Some posters saw a difference from using these appliances, others didn`t. Now honestly I can`t say I believe in all that ion stuff but my old Conair dryer is about ready to drop dead from exhaustion so I`ll be buying a new tool soon. I would certainly consider an ion dryer just for the thrill of it. Specifically, I`m looking at the Ion Ultra Tech 1875 Watt Turbo Dryer at Sally Beauty or the Conair Ion Shine.

My question: Who has these or another "ion" dryer and has an opinion about their effectiveness? I want to know!

-------------
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft

Replies:
Posted By: turquoise_girl
Date Posted: December 10 2002 at 8:25pm
you have probably seen my opinion in those last posts you reviewed about the ion dryers. i bought the conair ion shine dryer. i used it a couple of times but my hair didn`t look all that great. but please take into consideration that i NEVER would blow dry my hair before that so maybe it was just me not knowing how to do it right. needless to say- the blowdryer is stashed away in a drawer. i have heard others speak very well of the ion dryers though.

-------------

Posted By: rrobey
Date Posted: December 11 2002 at 7:30am
I`ve tried different ION dryers and the cheaper ones (i.e. Igia and such) didn`t show much difference in my hair. A couple of years ago I bought an ION dryer from CreateION. I got it from the store that`s on Rodeo Dr. in CA. I LOVE IT!! When I first got it I was a little concerned about the heat it produces, so I sent an email imposing the question of whether it would cause damage (my hair damages easily to heat). I got a phone call from a man (can`t remember who he was, but I think a top guy), anyway he promised me that there was no way the dryer could damage my hair. I wasn`t totally sure, but I figured I`d try it anyway. It`s been 2 years that I`ve had this dryer and it still works good. I can definately tell my hair is softer with it rather than a regular dryer. The BIG downfall to this dryer is that it`s $70! I had considered in the past purchasing an ION flat iron from them too, but when I called it`s around $300. :( way too much for me.
Anyway, I hope I helped Lyris. Good Luck!! :)

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2002 at 10:35am
Thanks for the tip! Rodeo Drive....whew, I can`t imagine being able to buy anything on that stretch (last time I was there I remembered to dress up so the Versace guy wouldn`t pass dirty looks looks when Tourist Me came in to ogle $1,500 white tank tops.) :-) But if it works and lasts then it`s certainly worth the money. I think I may be getting an ion dryer from Sally....but I hope for more input as well from others! Thanks rrobey and turquoise girl!

-------------
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft

Posted By: rrobey
Date Posted: December 11 2002 at 12:46pm
Here`s a web site for the dryer I have. I just wanted to post it in case you wanted to get more info.

http://www.bioionic.com/home.html - http://www.bioionic.com/home.html

Becky

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2002 at 12:01pm
Well I did it....went out and spent $24 on an Ion dryer from Sally (good thing I have the pro card...otherwise it would`ve really hit the wallet hard.) I`m going to try it tomorrow when I wash/dry my hair and I`ll post my opinion about this new age ion stuff then :-)

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2002 at 7:26am
....and that was a waste of money! This morning I tried out this lovely new thing and...well, what a disappointment. First off, the Ion brand ion dryer I bought is extremely heavy. My wrist and lower arm was hurting badly after five minutes. Worse still, the dryer takes forEVER to dry my hair. I almost always use the low-speed warm setting on dryers for my somewhat thick, naturally wavy hair when drying it straight, and this dryer`s setting took an eternity. Plus, it made no difference whatsoever to my hair: no reduction of frizzies, no additional shine, etc. I finally unplugged this machine and switched back to my old Conair. Otherwise I would`ve been late for work!

Needless to say, I will be returning my ion dryer. Of course it might just be my hair (or my too-high expectations) but either way it`s not worth keeping.

-------------