Print Page | Close Window

Afro Blues

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: African American Hair
Forum Name: African American Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of African Americans.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=65650
Printed Date: May 19 2024 at 10:39am

Topic: Afro Blues
Posted By: Nanie2five
Subject: Afro Blues
Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 8:29pm

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie and very happy I found this site.  I can't see to find a resolution to my problem.  I have worn my hair in an afro for a year now (coming out of a relaxed style).  While it's easy and healthy for my hair, my problem is that I can't get a decent cut.

I simply CANNOT find a single hair stylist that is able to cut my hair in a "style".  Years ago, (I know I'm dating myself hereLOL), you could walk into a barbershop or hairdresser and they actually had posters with maybe 30 or so actual afro "styles".  But not anymore.Confused  I'm speaking of a real clipper cut that keeps it's shape even when you wake up in the morning.  My hair type is soft but with a very tight curl pattern.  I keep it short, maybe 2 to 3 inches long. 

Whenever I find a barber that is willing to cut my hair, I have to go through a whole "thing" about the fact that I don't want my hair faded, I don't want a masculine cut, I just want my hair shaped nicely with the outline edges trimed but a softer "natural" look.  I can't begin to tell you my tight-lipped horror at some of the results. Wink

It hasn't been ALL bad, I did luck up on one young man that cut my hair perfect!  The only problem seems to be they (most barbers) are not consistent.  After 4 or 5 regular trims, I always end up getting out of the chair with a "guy" cut.  I then go home, wait for my hair to grow out and try seeking someone else.  The really sad part is that I can't even find a hair magazine that showcases real afro cuts.  You know, not "curls", but real "nappy" afros (the ones we used to wear with "dashikis",lol)

I live on the east coast, but have not found a hairdresser that uses clippers.  I really would like the salon treatment of having my hair cut, shampooed and conditioned.  But, alas, that seems to be a thing of the past.Cry

Anyone have any suggestions?

-------------
True kindness is being considerate to someone who is not.

Replies:
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 12:55am
Get to more about beautiful afrro-american hairstyle at http://www.easy-hairstyles.com/16/african-american-hairstyles.

Posted By: Nanie2five
Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 4:59am
Thanks for the URL, Alexdo,  I did not see even one afro style, but I did find out that there are others with this same issue, though.LOL

At least I have company, lol.

-------------
True kindness is being considerate to someone who is not.

Print Page | Close Window