Print Page | Close Window

Do your pets ever play with your hair?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=662
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 8:34pm

Topic: Do your pets ever play with your hair?
Posted By: DaveDecker
Subject: Do your pets ever play with your hair?
Date Posted: June 15 2003 at 12:40pm
Or someone else's pets? And if so, describe the nature of the "encounter." Promise we won't laugh at you. We may laugh with you, though.

Replies:
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: June 15 2003 at 1:21pm
Hi Dave,

Too funny but good topic. :-) I used to have a cat...RC a Virgo cat...that would swipe at my hair when I was sleeping if my hair was hanging off the bed.

I also had a kitten that would try to grab my hair.

My yellow lab didn't mess with my hair but a few times I did get my hair tangled in her leash.

Can't wait to see what others have to say on this topic.

Best wishes,
Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Posted By: princessmonica
Date Posted: June 15 2003 at 3:49pm
i do have kind of a funny story. at least to me it was funny my cousin had very long hair when i got my cat, sabrina. it was back in 93. well my cousin really doesn't like cats. sabrina was just a kitten an my cousin was on her knees. sabrina saw her long hair hanging down. sabrina jumps on her back to get it! LOL sabrina is hanging on my cousin's back! needless to say my cousin wasn't to happy.

-------------
http://www.msnusers.com/monicasanders - http://www.msnusers.com/monicasanders

Posted By: AmandaPanda
Date Posted: June 15 2003 at 7:26pm
I have a couple cats that like to eat hair...

-------------
http://amandapandahair.spaces.live.com/ - My Long Hair Odyssey

Posted By: catt_grrl
Date Posted: June 16 2003 at 8:49am
well....when my black cat was a psycho-kitten (and, while I realize nearly every kitten is a spaz, he was way over-the-top..), he'd swing on my braid like Tarzan...now he's not quite so interested in it, but he will still sit on the counter while I comb my hair and try to touch my hand with his paw as it moves...white cat is attracted to my hair when it's wet (chew, chew, bat, chew)...

-------------

Posted By: SuperGrover
Date Posted: June 16 2003 at 8:57pm
LOL! When my chocolate lab was a puppy, she used to tug on my hair, like tug o' war. It was a cute game, until she started getting big! I hated to have to tell her no and break her habit, but it was really starting to hurt.

I have a picture. I was actually thinking of posting it even before you brought the topic up, Dave. It's a funny picture.

I'd never allow that now, of course, even with a small puppy. I'm way too anti-damage anal-retentive now.

-------------
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Posted By: LiliBeach
Date Posted: June 16 2003 at 9:07pm
My cat, Onyx, who is no longer with us, used to lick my husbands hair. Just like he was grooming him like he would himself.

Oh, I miss my Onyx!!

-------------
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 2:38pm
my dog sits on my hair. 

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 2:54pm
One day I was out walking, and an orange cat and I spied each other at the same time. As he came over to greet me, I bent over to pet him, and the cat went wild! The cascade of my mane falling down was too much for him and he leaped up to my hair.

Luckily I have reflexes as good as any cat, and I was able to successfully take evasive action.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 5:34pm

Funny new-old topic. My mother-in-law used to have long hair in the 60īs. At one time she cared for a stray cat, that was very shy and connected only with her. After some time, this cat had kittens, and every night, while my mother-in-law was sleeping, the cat would carry her kittens and place them in her hair, on or beside the pillow. I guess she felt they were safe and comfortable there! My mother-in-law looks very funny while she tells this story and makes a little acting of how she tried to get up every morning, brushing these kittens out of her hair!

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: chgurlsng
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 5:42pm

My good friend has a dog named Petey.  If we sit on the floor or if he is w/in any reach of our hair, he will play w/ it.  If we are wearing a scrunchie, he climbs to the tops of our heads and gently yanks it out w/ his teeth!  He likes to comb out our hair w/ his claws, too.

-Char

Posted By: dianefromcanada
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 8:27pm

One day my bird Alexandra decided that my ponytail would be a perfect swing.

-------------
dianefromcanada

Posted By: shiverpale
Date Posted: May 04 2005 at 3:33am

awww, pets...animals....i love all animals, except for turkeys, they totally freak me out!

i have 2 cats.

Boy 

and

lisamoo

at night, lisamoo, loves to be on on the sofa with me, she loves to curl into my shoulder and dive under my hair at the same time. and i know its naughty, and it could wreck my hair, but she loves to play with it when its in plaits too.

boy - if im doing yoga and i get into an awkward position where my hair falls around me, he attacks it, to the extent that he gently bites & tugs!

obviously i dont let this go on all the time, otherwise my hair would be non-existant now.

i also had a hamster....lol...named marvin...hes dead now, bless....he drowned in my toilet - DONT ASK!

he used to love burrowing in my hair.

i also had a magpie (saved it when its wing was injured & it wouldnt leave once it was healed) he'd fly into my bedroom window after his day out, and kind of do this thing with his beak...as if he was somehow de-flea-ing my scalp. it used to feel so good! kinda like those indian head massagers/orgasmotrons.

ive got a vid clip on this puter (somewhere) of lisamoo doing her thing with my hair, id upload it to let you all see if i knew how

Asmara

-------------
"The hair is the richest ornament of women."

Date Posted: May 04 2005 at 10:48am
Hi again Shiverpale! Your animals look very cute.
I can just imagine your mother in laws face when she woke up each morning with cats in her hair Viktoria!

Date Posted: May 04 2005 at 11:28am

my mother in law is now my ex mother in law. i wont say much about that, except that i hope she goes bald.

only messing...bwahaha.

not about the ex thing tho. SHE ONCE GAVE ME CRAB/LICE LOTION TO WASH MY HAIR WITH! she told me it was an expensive product (she poured it into a fancy bottle & silly me was conned into thinking it was some herbal treatment for longgg hair) its only after i poured it on and whiffed it as it lathered up that i clicked what it was! (in high school we were shown a bottle & scent of it in health & beauty class) the stench stayed with me for days and it dried my hair out so much i thought it was gonna snap. (she had a very sick warped cruel sense of humour)

yes, that ex mother in law sure did dislike me and my hairdo!

anyway...stop making me go off the topic ladyfrog. youre gonna get us into trouble with the hair police. ....so yes.... yes, hair and animals....human hair that is. Thing is, we constantly play with their hair dont we, smoothing it, combing it, fluffing it up...so why shouldnt they have a go of ours! c'mon, its only fair.

i dont like clowns. those tufts of hair in bright ginger freak me out more than turkeys.

(ok, i know i went off the subject then but it still involved HAIR!)

Asmara

-------------

Posted By: sugaplum
Date Posted: May 04 2005 at 11:32am
I have a Maine Coon and his name is "Bailey."  Everytime I grease my scalp he wants to lick it off my scalp and bite on my plaits.

-------------
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures

Date Posted: May 04 2005 at 12:45pm
That was mean of your Mother in law. I've already said that my dog sits on my hair but my brothers kitten (vvvvvvv cute) likes batting at my hair, when she was little she used to lie in my arms and if my hair was loose she would bat at my hair and try and eat it and she would get so workedup and she looked so cute! (She's too big now, when I pick her up, unless she's half asleep, depnding on her mood she either tryies to jump down or takes the short route and bites me.)

Posted By: Katja
Date Posted: May 04 2005 at 6:48pm

One of my cats, Tigger, loves to go crazy on my head when I sit up on the couch.  I'll be sitting there and he'll be creeping around the top of the couch and when he gets to me he nudges and bites and bats at the top of my head.  Come to think of it, he does it to everyone that sits on my couch and has hair

My other cat, Cruella, lovvvvvvvvvvves to play with my hair while I'm doing yoga.  I'll be laying on the floor (my hair spread out all over) in a complicated pose trying to focus on tranquility, and all of a sudden I'll feel my hair move as he's batting it around.

Pets, gotta love 'em.

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 7:12am
My cats do pretty much what everyone's else's cats do (I didn't know it was so common for cats to do this!).  They each have a favorite flavor of shampoo (one cat likes Tangerine, the other likes Fruitsation), and when we use that flavor, they try to eat our hair.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: May 08 2005 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by shiverpale shiverpale wrote:

my mother in law is now my ex mother in law. i wont say much about that, except that i hope she goes bald.

only messing...bwahaha.

not about the ex thing tho. SHE ONCE GAVE ME CRAB/LICE LOTION TO WASH MY HAIR WITH! she told me it was an expensive product (she poured it into a fancy bottle & silly me was conned into thinking it was some herbal treatment for longgg hair) its only after i poured it on and whiffed it as it lathered up that i clicked what it was! (in high school we were shown a bottle & scent of it in health & beauty class) the stench stayed with me for days and it dried my hair out so much i thought it was gonna snap. (she had a very sick warped cruel sense of humour)

yes, that ex mother in law sure did dislike me and my hairdo!

Evil woman!

-------------

Posted By: Donda
Date Posted: May 08 2005 at 1:48pm

My car Chester would chew on my hair at night, so I make sure I pin it up some way or another.  He also has this thing about licking/grooming my eyebrows before I go to bed at night.

-------------
Thick 4A Hair, Relaxed every 8 weeks. Contributing writer at xicamagazine.4t.com

Posted By: Amazing Grace
Date Posted: May 09 2005 at 6:05pm
When my cat, Simon, wants to encourage one of the other cats to vacate "his" chair, he jumps up next to them and begins to lick their fur backwards. One day I was curled up in the chair and Simon decided I needed to move.

He's only tried licking my hair backwards once...

Date Posted: May 10 2005 at 5:02am

heheh...that made me laugh grace!

and donda, i know its icky when they do such things, but its such a nice feeling that an animal such as a cat (who are naturally wild) trust & love us that they want to show is affection that way.

cats are wonderful, not to good when it comes to long hair tho!...they treat it as if its their own special play toy.

Asmara

-------------

Posted By: strawberryfine
Date Posted: May 16 2005 at 3:49pm

One of my cats, Missy, a longhair herself, loves to snuzzle her face into my hair when I pick her up.  It's so sweet!

SF

-------------
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"

Posted By: AnaJ152
Date Posted: September 13 2005 at 12:18pm
I own three parrots.  A quaker parrot and two tiels.  The quaker loves to preen my hair.  She does it gentely but I don't let her do it that often.  Its like I'm her favorite buddy out of our small flock.  And my male tiel loves to preen my eyebrows.  I have strange pets.

-------------
To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Posted By: Vicky
Date Posted: September 13 2005 at 2:49pm
Well i have a percian cat, a very hairy cat. When he cleans himself under his chin he ends up with all the hair in his mouth. And he can't get it out so he walks around with his chin hair in his mouth, stuck to his bottom teeth. Por cat!!

Posted By: blueorca84
Date Posted: September 13 2005 at 3:47pm

I have a tiel who would sit on my mom's shoulder and snuggle with her hair!  it was so adorable! ^__^

Posted By: Delenn
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 12:51pm
My cat likes to burrow in my hair and do what I call the "paw dance" where he lays on my chest and kneads my hair with his claws (I have plastic caps on them, otherwise it can be painful sometimes!), he also enjoys attacking it when I'm sitting at the computer.  Every so often I feel him pounce on it if it's not pulled up in a bun or something.  And if we're lounging on the sofa together he'll swat at my hair if I move suddenly and flick my hair around. 

Posted By: Delenn
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 12:57pm

Oh!  I completely forgot about two pets from my past.  In college I had a pet king snake who was still pretty small, he used to nap on my shoulders under my hair or on the top of my head, he'd weave himself into my hair (it was quite and attractive hairdo, let me tell ya!  ...Not!)

My ex boyfriend had an Australian Lorikeet who was my portable hair stylist, he literally sat on my head and preened me for hours.  Never anyone else, just me.  Wasn't so bad, kind of therapeutic and relaxing in a way, at least until he would give off the most painful, loudest, ear piercing screeeeeeeeeeeeech right into my ear.  Oh I can still hear that bird, I was his favorite.  We had a love/hate relationship.  LOL!

Posted By: BrooKiki
Date Posted: September 16 2005 at 2:35pm
I have an Australian Cattle Dog mix.  If anyone ISN'T familiar with that breed, let's just say they're high energy and leave it at that.  Wonderful dogs, but...wow.

When she was a puppy, she loved my hair.  If I was having trouble getting her to come to me, I would just bend over and the hair did it.  Since she's gotten older, she's settled down a bit.  Now she won't run at my hair when I bend over, but she will try to steal scrunchies out of it.  Also, when she gets in a cuddly mood, she'll sort of bury her face in my hair.  Sometimes, when we're playing outside, she'll actually jump up and grab my hair,  Ow.   I'm 5'7, my hair falls 2-3 inches past my shoulders, and the dog comes up to my knee, so you can imagine how high she's jumping.  We're at a loss on how on earth she managed to tear her ACL, being so very sedate and calm.  *g*

Print Page | Close Window