Print Page | Close Window

Help! Need advice quickly.. multiple treatments

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Curly Hair Talk
Forum Name: Straight Talk
Forum Description: Get the straight talk on hair straightening products & techniques
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=66934
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 7:09am

Topic: Help! Need advice quickly.. multiple treatments
Posted By: napagirl
Subject: Help! Need advice quickly.. multiple treatments
Date Posted: August 24 2010 at 1:12am
Hi all,

I am new and need some advice.  I am a caucasian with VERY kinky hair.. I mean so kinky you can't wear it "curly".. no ringlets here.  I am now 42, but when I was younger, I had the thickest hair ever.  I used to use perm solution combed through to straighten (back in my early 20's).  I also have lightened my hair at home since I was 16.  At about age 23, I had a great stylist, and we switched to Rusk AntiCurl.  I have used this product up until last may, every 4mos or so.  This was always done by a pro. 

My stylist left the field, and I recently ended up with another for the last 3yrs or so.  She uses the rusk on me like the prior stylist, but have noticed more breakage/ hair falling at root.  this was not major tho. 

She practically twisted my arm into having the brazilian keratin which I was afraid of because of the formaldehyde.  It uses a 450F flat iron to "bond" the formaldehyde to the hair.  She said it was best on damaged hair.  BIGGEST mistake ever!  After 3wks, the kink was back, and the ends were breaking of in 2-3 INCH PIECES!!  I have hair of all lengths now due to the breakage.  And losing hair from root (white bulb attached). 

Went back, and she blamed MY flat iron (which I've used for 10yrs).  Needless to say, she is history.  I do NOT have another person lined up.  None of my friends have hair like mine, so recommendations are very hard to come by.  I realize I need to let my hair recover, but eventually, I will need to straighten again.

My hair now is very fine, yet extremely kinky.  Flat ironing with no relaxer does nothing for this kink.  I am doing intensive conditioning and will need to find someone to cut it soon.

My question is this:  Once I allow this hair to recover/grow in, which product would one recommend?  I am very interested in the Phyto relaxer.. how does it compare to rusk anticurl?  Does it also have to stay off the scalp like the others? 

Thanks for any help!

Print Page | Close Window