Print Page | Close Window

Men with long hair & insults

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Personals
Forum Description: Find others that share your interests in hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=67362
Printed Date: May 14 2024 at 8:34am

Topic: Men with long hair & insults
Posted By: WelshDude
Subject: Men with long hair & insults
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:23am
Unhappy Hey everyone sorry about the emoticon, accidentally clicked it and it won't leave, I can't delete it for some reason. Anyways this is my first post and it's a good question I think ^_^

Well I still go to school and I'm a metal kind of guy with long hair about 3 or 5 inches below my shoulders. It's well kept and all. But the problem is the boys in my class and well basically the whole school and town make fun of me or laugh at me or give negative looks. And I have to admit, for a metal guy I'm quite mentally weak, and don't take insults well. I worry a lot, etc.

I was just wondering if anyone here can please me some insight on how to react to their insults and looks. Thanks everyone and sorry for the huge post that I wrote.

(please don't say "just ignore/forget it. Cause I can't, that's way too easy LOL

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: thart
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:16pm
Hi, I am glad to help you. I am a guy with shoulder length hair myself and I too get comments from people about it including my parents which hurt. However, the best thing to do is to act like it does not bother you. I found some positive reinforcements in people that really did like my hair long and perferred it that way. When someone said something negative I found a way to shrug it off because everyone has their opinion and I knew those who liked it too. If you cannot find that reinforcement in your school or town you should be able to find it on here or another long hair site. There is plenty of support that should make you feel good about yourself. How long do you want your hair?

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 4:07pm
Thanks for the reply thart! I want it a bit longer. But not butt length xD
And yeah you're right, greatly appreciated.

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 8:02am
Thanks Im glad it helped. How do you style your long hair?

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 8:55am
I don't really actually. I usually just have it loose and flowing lol. But I do put it in a ponytail obviously (kinda have to at times), and have it behind my ears. And yeah that's about it =D 

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 7:31pm
That is awesome. There is nothing like the feel of long flowing hair. Do you ever get compliments on it?

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 7:53pm
You bet, my dad said he's proud of me for taking the time to grow it out so long and that I keep having it the same length due to what people think and say (I've had it this length for a year now). And yeah from most of my friends, the ones that don't just say interesting lol so they're nice about it at least.
My math teacher calls me a girl and makes fun of it, but he said he's just kidding and to take whatever he says in life with a grain of salt. XD

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 11:02pm
Awww thats sad he calls you a girl :( Do alot of girls seem to like the look? Alot of girls do :)

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 11:21pm
Hmm not sure Ermm If so they sure haven't said anything xD a girlfriend would be nice too for once xD

Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 9:47am
It would definately be nice do you like girls with super long hair as well?

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 11:43am
To be honest yeah, I only like girls with fairly long hair, doesn't have to be super long. Just short hair doesn't appeal to me, nothing against the girl though =D

Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 12:15am
I totally agree. Long hair is definately more appealing. Why did you decide to grow your hair in the first place?

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 12:17am
Just felt that's how I should look, made me feel natural.You?

Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 8:18am
I tot know what you mean. I feel more myself with long hair. How long have you been in the process of growing?

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 1:13pm
Hmm I'd say 2 years, 3 max. My hair is long too. My hair grows really fast, family trait I think. I'm lucky haha. You?

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:41am
Wow that is awesome. I am glad to hear you have been growing it that long. I have been growing mine for just over a year now and I absolutely love it. Did you ever think of doing it in femme styles?

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:44am
Wow would that look like? I plan on just keeping it "pagan" style if you know what I mean, I have the dead ends cut but no styles.

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 7:45pm
Pagan style would be good. What exactly is that? When I say feminine styles I meant like updos and lots of braids or curls. Have you ever done those?

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:15pm
I guess Pagan style just meant either flowing and kept in a ponytail, my auntie braided it a couple times, not a huge fan of it. I guess by Pagan I just meant simple and untouched really.

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:09pm
Awww i love the thought of long flowing hair. It looks amazing and i definately think you will get compliments on it. Was your aunt excited about braiding it or what did she think?

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:14pm
Lol I guess she was, it was her idea after all xD

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 8:05am
That is awesome. Did you like the look of it or not?

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 1:17pm
Meh it was alright, I didn't see anything too cool about it.

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 5:33pm
Thats still cool you got to experience it up im jealous

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 6:31pm
Can't you get someone to braid your hair for you?

Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 11:25am
Yes but yours sounds so much longer than mine. It would make for a nicer braid

-------------

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 1:55pm
Hey WelshDude, there's a long hair support forum here, you may get more responses from people there who are used to dealing with long hair issues (Forum Jump at the bottom, under long hair happenings).

To answer your question...Bob S. over in long hair support just said something interesting today, that people get uncomfortable when you do things that don't follow the crowd. I guess society tries to make everyone be the same, so people feel its okay to make fun of those who do anything different. On top of that, some people even get an ego boost from it. If they say something that makes someone feel lesser, and people laugh, then they feel like the big man. When I see somebody do that, I just feel like they must have issues if they have to do that to somebody else....you know, like they needed the ego boost because secretly they don't feel so great.

Since people are just picking on you for the same thing, you can come up with some comebacks to have ready that shows them that they can't get to you. They will probably stop doing it if they know they can't bother you with that (except maybe close friends, who might then feel like they can say it more because you don't care). What I mean by that is, if you joke back at them, and don't sound angry, they will start to think you aren't bothered by what they said. If you ever get upset, they will know they can get to you and that brings out the bully in some people.

I don't tend to go for mean, (because I believe in karma, so I always feel people might get mean back with me), but hey, its your call how you want to respond to any person, and you may want to base it on how rude or mean they sounded when they said it to you. Like, if they call you a girl and just sound like they're joking, you can say "Oh yeah, I SO look like a girl, you just WISH you had this hair because you know the ladies LOVE IT!" and smile right back at them. You know, stuff like that. I think you just need to display confidence, people respect that.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 3:08pm
Thanks for the long reply ^_^ and thanks for the link. I guess in the long run I just need to grow a pair xD Thanks again!

Posted By: royalmewigs
Date Posted: November 29 2010 at 8:36pm

there are many useful points

-------------

Posted By: serro
Date Posted: December 24 2010 at 3:39pm
its importand what you feel ;)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window