Print Page | Close Window

Tons of Blonde Requests!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=68189
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 3:36pm

Topic: Tons of Blonde Requests!
Posted By: SloGinFizz
Subject: Tons of Blonde Requests!
Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 5:11pm
Ok- So I am a newbie here and figured this would be a good entrance into this forum.

I have been a colorist/stylist for about 2 years now and as I have seen more and more clients I'd have to say that the #1 request I get- especially in the spring and summer- is blonde. Obvi....

Now- usually I get a request for some highlights or or just lightening up a couple of shades. However, more and more I have been getting the all out blonde request. Everything from warmer more natural tones to the all out "the the way" look.

I post this because I have had some clients, and one most recently- make the blonde request and do so in a very determined matter despite my putting them on notice that naturally dark, dark brunette hair cannot nor should not go platinum in one sitting, despite what you see on Top Model. Or requested shades dont match skin tone.  Ofcourse I want to give my clients what they ask for, but I also want them to LOVE the way they look when they get up from my chair.

Anyway, 3 out of 4 of these requests, I find, come with boyfriend or husband backing or suggestion. The boy loves Carrie Underwood's hair or Katherine Heigl or Jessica Simpson.

In fact- the impetus for me to write this was yesterday when- a client had a color and cut appointment, came in with her husband and said it was his birthday and "this was his present". At first, I didn't understand until she had HIM tell me what was on the plate for the day. Not her usual honey highlights on her light chestnut hair. No, no, no- he said- "Can you make here blonde? Like really, REALLY blonde?" While I knew what he meant, I asked him to spell it out a little more (the situation was pretty awkward- and he pulled up a picture of a platinum-esque Anna Faris on his iphone. "With the bangs too" he then said- she had more or less blunt bangs with some layers around the face in the picture.

So.... I smiled and nodded and said that I will see what I can do and he left. I started talking with my client and she said he'd been asking for this for a long time and that she wanted to do it before they had kids and they were still "young" and that this would be the perfect present. I told her how much work and how expensive it would be to keep the look up because her roots would certainly show. I also told her it would damage her hair despite a deep conditioning treatment. I could to it though- her hair was light enough as a base to pull off the close-to-platinum look.

The long and short of it is that I did it- it took time and effort and I felt that the tone was going to wash her out a little bit. She smiled and said she loved it after freaking for 2 minutes not recognizing herself. I could tell she wasn't totally in love with the bangs or how light it was- but it was what she and her husband asked for.... My colleague had time to do her makeup and she changed into a cute outfit.

The hubbie was floored when he picked her up for dinner- in a way it was sweet and he couldn't take his eyes off her. You could tell he loved it.  But at the end of the day- my client walked away looking like a run of the mill bottle blonde and lost the individual look she had.

Phew... so all of that being said. How often does everyone get the blonde request? Especially one this drastic and well, kinda awkward and strange (with the guy around and all). I think I handled it ok- but my friend/ colleague told me I was projecting a little freaked-outed-ness and was a little fake with them.

At the end of the day, I did my job. Thoughts???

Print Page | Close Window