Forum Name: Diet Days
Forum Description: A place for sharing ideas, tips and our daily struggles
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=68344
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 5:33pm

Topic: Pilates Weight Loss
Posted By: zylv83
Subject: Pilates Weight Loss
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 1:02am

Everyone else starts to look so young. Their walk still has a bounce to it. Their legs still slide into sexy jeans. Their bums are still firm.

So when you find yourself wanting to skip the workout and dash off for a pedicure or hair touch-up instead, don't go there.

One person who makes 65 feel like 45 is Jonnye Clark of Jamison, Pa. She wouldn't consider skipping a workout. She works four days a week as branch manager for an investment firm, works out regularly and still finds time for pedicures. They're "how I treat myself," she says.  "My philosophy about aging is you can't hit a moving target."

Clark maps out her week around physical activities, which fitness experts recommend as a way of strengthening your body and boosting emotional and mental energy.

"Make a point of doing some kind of daily activity, or at the very least three days a week, and the more consistent you are over time, the better you'll feel," says Marjorie Albohm, president of the National Athletic Trainers' Association.

Albohm says it's never too late for Baby Boomers and people in older generation groups to get going again and appreciate the rewards.

"Sometimes you gain weight or it's harder to exercise and you get discouraged," she says. "But you have to get to the point of saying, 'I'm making this a part of my life from this point forward.' "

Clark is the perfect role model, Albohm says. She gets regular aerobic activity and resistance training and works on flexibility, all prescribed by the Department of Health and Human Services in its physical activity guidelines as a way to reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases and promote good health.

Studies show exercise and weight training can also prevent bone loss, a concern for Clark. "I was already getting shorter and losing muscle mass," she says.

A former ballerina who started dancing when she was 5 and continued through high school, Clark has had to modify her activities as she ages. No more ballet, for instance.

"When I was dancing, I was going to the local Y and dancing on hard, wooden floors, which everyone knows now isn't good for you," she says.

Her spine suffered. She had to have back surgery six years ago. Then she got going again, and hasn't looked back.

She does Pilates one or two days a week, swims and gets on the treadmill or elliptical at her gym, and is religious about using the weight machines. She looks forward to getting back out on the golf course when the weather warms up.

"The Pilates really helped me get the flexibility back in my back" and has improved her balance and overall strength, she says.

The ability to bid farewell to a past exercise love and adopt new ones is key, Albohm says, especially for people who develop arthritis as they age and feel pain and stiffness in their joints. Exercise is a powerful tool in managing arthritis, research shows.

"Boomers, especially, who might have been high-intensity athletes in their younger years, have a hard time learning how to modify," she says. "They can't jog or run anymore because their knees hurt. But in trying new things, people can find things they love doing.

"It's very, very important to keep people mobile and strong."

Replies:
Posted By: danielcraigsupe
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 5:45pm
First of all, successful weight loss requires three components proper diet,nutrition, maintenance of muscle mass, and fat burning cardiovascular exercise. If one contest vigorously, but again eats after affair for calories, sugar, fat, etc., again that being will a lot of acceptable see beneath after-effects than the being who embarks on a affairs absorption on exercise and diet.

-------------

Posted By: spring714
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 10:25pm
Interesting info but why is it in African American hair topic?  Just curious.

Posted By: nesvyhomesa
Date Posted: August 25 2011 at 5:41pm
Everyone else starts to look so young and that is why you have to reduce weight and for that purpose you have to do exercise regularly. Eat a health drinks and avoid out side foods.

-------------

Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: August 26 2011 at 7:24am
Originally posted by spring714 spring714 wrote:

Interesting info but why is it in African American hair topic?  Just curious.

Good catch.

Unfortunately when people post - sometimes they just post anyway on the boards rather than putting it under a specific topic.

I have moved this under the diet topics. 

Thanks...and sorry for letting this one slide through.

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Posted By: jameshomes
Date Posted: August 31 2011 at 11:38am
All have the desire to look so young and that is why you have to reduce the weight and for this purpose, you should exercise regularly. Eat health drinks and avoid from by-products.

-------------

Posted By: kelvintoam
Date Posted: August 31 2011 at 6:58pm
Pilates sometimes slowly, especially in primary and secondary levels. This gives students an opportunity to establish the party's attention, good alignment and familiar practice.

-------------

Posted By: EddieChatwin
Date Posted: September 01 2011 at 4:34pm
Pilates exercise classes gives the feeling of being part of a community, Pilates increases muscle strength, which increases the amount of calories burned. Pilates can help to build and maintain muscle mass while you lose weight, helping to realign the posture of the body as a center of gravity changes.

-------------

Posted By: miaemily
Date Posted: September 19 2011 at 2:04pm
Weight loss is very necessary because excess weight can affect health very badly and it can loose by exercise and yoga. Meditation is also best for weight loss.

-------------

Posted By: blackkcarl
Date Posted: November 07 2011 at 5:19pm
Successful weight loss requires three components: diet,nutrition, and fat burning cardiovascular exercise.

-------------

Posted By: adomejorge
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 4:51pm
Pilates is the best exercise that can improve bones strength increases the amount of calories burned. You can asist to maintain energy levels during the day.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window