Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of short hair
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=68961
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 4:40am

Topic: Cut tomorrow - long to short
Posted By: Millie1986
Subject: Cut tomorrow - long to short
Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 11:33am
Hi,

I am getting my hair cut tomorrow, and although I think I know what I am going to have done, I thought I would post here first and see if anyone else had any suggestions etc that I may not have thought of. At the moment my hair is fairly long, but I am cutting it and donating it to a UK charity that makes wigs for children with cancer and alopecia. I want to donate about 10 inches, so obviously that puts some restrictions on style, but apart from that I will consider most things - I don't want a super short crop, but will consider pixies and longer, and I don't want anything that looks dated - although I have found some really nice pictures of short cuts online, I have also found quite a few that I think look very 90s, or for older women, and I am not interested in that. I have posted a few pictures - one is a rear view of my hair's natural texture etc - this is unstraightened/unstyled - just blasted with a hairdryer for 5 mins. One ponytail pic just to show roughly where 10 inches is (just below the band, but I know to cut above), and then a couple of face pictures - my hair is curly in one, but as you can see from the first picture - my hair is dead straight naturally, and curling it takes quite some time, so that picture is to see face rather than hair!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Millie

Replies:
Posted By: lovebobs
Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 3:30pm
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/2361026786_775b3803ac_m.jpg

-------------
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!

Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 3:35pm
Tons here, I say blunt bangs and or a buzzed nape, esp. with your eyes!!

http://www.hairxstatic.com/styles/sbb.php

-------------

Posted By: HairStyleDiva
Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 8:09pm
big change,  it will look geat on you. goodluck

-------------
Go for it change is good, Hair grows back.

Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 10:11pm
Awesome face shape; you can go with just about anything.  I'm thinking something like this

I like this for the back

If you're really brave, these would look great also

-------------
HAWG

Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 3:28pm
Thanks for the replies. I did think about going for a graduated bob, but decided not to in the end, and to do roughly what I had originally decided. I had been in for a consultation last week and taken some pictures I showed the stylist, and she thought one of them would suit me, and I said I was pretty open really, and to do what she thought, so she did. It isn't exactly like the picture but that's ok - I had said to do whatever she thought. Have posted a picture, because I know how frustrating it is to see a before and not an after pic! Hope you like it. I think I do - I like it more in some pictures than others, but I don't regret cutting it - it isn't the length I have an issue with. She actually cut it off in sections rather than just one ponytail, to get more to donate, and then tied them together after, so the longest bits are about 13 inches.

Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 4:43pm
Looks cool ,nice bangs, any side, rear shots?

-------------

Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 9:12pm
Looks awesome; suits you very well. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

-------------
HAWG

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 9:19pm
Hello sexy!   Well done!

Posted By: Heratic
Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 1:38am
It looks good but as it evolves you could look absolutely stunning.  Given your face shape and bone structure you could wear hour hair in a stronger, more funky style.  It just looks a bit too soft at the moment and dare I say makes you look older than your before photos.

Not sure how to improve it though - e.g. exposing your ears or having a bolder fringe.

-------------
Its your hair, your choice and your decision

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 7:09am
Thanks for the feedback. Heratic, I am sure once I have had time to mess around with it a bit and see how I like it and what it will do it will be better. And for me, looking older isn't necessarily a bad thing, as I am 25 and people generally think I am 16 - 19! I don't want to look old, but it would be nice not to be asked if I am at school all the time!

Posted By: HairStyleDiva
Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 6:15pm
congreat, looks great on you. 

-------------
Go for it change is good, Hair grows back.

Posted By: orangenoise
Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 11:42pm
You look gorgeous

Posted By: Jojoswr
Date Posted: July 24 2011 at 8:27am
You look stunning with this hair cut, Millie.

Posted By: hairboi
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 4:56pm
Perfect!

Posted By: mikecuts
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 9:19pm
Very nice. As a stlyist my compliments to you Millie. You look beautiful
Mike

Posted By: clipperguy
Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 8:44am
Love the look.  Well done by your haircutter.

Ivan

www.zoothair.com

-------------
Ivan Zoot
www.zoothair.com

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 4:16pm
Just a quick update for anyone interested - 5 weeks down the line and I am still liking short hair. I love how easy it is, and I have had loads of compliments on it. It seemed to grow really quickly, and it had reached the point where I was finding it difficult to see, so I had it cut again today. I couldn't get to the salon I went to last time so a different hairdresser cut it this time. Although I have liked it short, it hasn't really been going how I wanted it - I wanted it more messy etc, and my hair tends to do that for about 5 minutes and then fall back into place! I told her that, so she said she would put a lot more texture in it etc, and I just said to do whatever she thought really. It is a lot more layered and cut into this time, and a bit shorter, particularly at the back, although the fringe and layers are all shorter too. I've not got any very good pictures yet, but I have attached a side view shot I took earlier so I could see it more clearly myself, but it isn't great as there is shadow on the wall behind me!

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 8:10pm
Just keeps getting better and better.  That is the style I want my wife to have....unfortunately, she throws a fit anytime I mention anything about cutting her hair short.
Please post more pics

Posted By: Jojoswr
Date Posted: August 25 2011 at 10:07am
You rock the new look Millie.

Date Posted: August 25 2011 at 6:46pm
Thanks :) I don't have any more pictures at the moment, but will get some soon. I am away for a week, so may not be able to post until I get back, although I might be able to, but will get more pictures if you want to see more. I really like the back short like it is now - it was quite a lot longer before but now it goes right into the neck and I like that. It is actually quite a lot shorter than it was - think the longest layers now are about 3 inches, whereas it was more like 5 inches when I had it cut before. I had thought I would have it slightly more layered this time, but wasn't really planning to go shorter, but just told the hairdresser I wanted it messier and that I wanted to be able to see again but other than that just to do whatever she thought. I like it, even if I did wake up looking like I had been electrocuted with it all standing on end! I have cut a little bit off the side bits by my ears, as I decided they were a bit long - it didn't look quite right. Everyone gets home from the hairdresser and does that right?!

loveshorthair - has your wife had her hair short before? If she has and didn't think it suited her I guess that is just her preference, but if she hasn't I would definitely recommend giving it a go! I think some women do get very attached to long hair, which I suppose is natural because it is what you are used to, but change can be good, and it does grow back (eventually!). And for some reason there is still a notion that short hair isn't feminine and you will look like a boy - the day before I had mine cut (ie the long to short cut, not this one) I was talking to a couple of people and saying I was going short, and they both said 'noooo, but your hair is lovely, don't cut it short. It might go wrong and look like a boy' etc etc. I was very much a long hair girl before - as a child it was long enough to sit on, and it was at least waist length until my mid teens. I had it shoulder length, or a bit longer or shorter for quite a few years then - the shortest was about collarbone, and longest about the length it was in my before pictures from this post, so basically I had long hair the vast majority of the time, sometimes mid length. The only time it was shorter was when I had a chin length bob a couple of years ago, but I wasn't keen and I didn't keep it that length - I don't know if it wasn't a great cut or just didn't suit me, but I just didn't really like it. So I had absolutely no idea if I would like short hair or if it would look good on me, but I am glad I cut it. It makes a nice change and I have had a lot of compliments on it (and more compliments on my eyes since I had it cut too) and I am certainly in no hurry to grow it out. I also quite like that it is a bit more unusual - obviously plenty of women do have short hair, but a lot of them tend to be older - certainly around here there are far more girls in their teens and twenties with long hair than short hair. I may well grow it at some point, but not any time soon - I am liking playing around with it at the moment, and figure whilst it is short I may as well have various short styles and see what I like best, as it grows back so quickly when it's short. So if anyone has other style suggestions please feel free! Sorry for the ramble, didn't mean to go on so!

Date Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:48am
Hot! Hot! Hot!
Rough dry it with a blow dryer and mess it a bit with texture wax for a fun look... smooth it with a Denman brush for a more formal classy finish. LIKE!

-------------
Ivan Zoot
www.zoothair.com

Posted By: orangenoise
Date Posted: August 26 2011 at 10:51pm
Sooooo hot.  Wow - love it

Posted By: Heratic
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 9:32am
Wow - absolutely stunning :)

-------------
Its your hair, your choice and your decision

Date Posted: September 06 2011 at 9:39am
Very nice... Just a bit fo mousse and a blow dryer... wax for detailing.  Good to go.

Ivan

-------------
Ivan Zoot
www.zoothair.com

Print Page | Close Window