Forum Name: Braid Talk
Forum Description: Talk About Braids
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=70187
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 8:19am

Topic: Braids and Breakage?
Posted By: naturalista105
Subject: Braids and Breakage?
Date Posted: February 29 2012 at 7:10pm
I've been experiencing quite a bit of breakage to the point where my hair is thinning out. I was considering putting braids in to grow it back and hopefully it'll stop the breakage or somehow "restore" my hair but I read somewhere that braids are the worst thing to put in damaged/ breaking hair. Is this true?! I'm kind of stuck and not sure what else to do. HELP?!

Replies:
Posted By: Sparrowhawk1161
Date Posted: March 23 2012 at 4:59pm
Actually, braiding can help your hair...as long as you don't do anything severe...like corn braiding... or anything that can pull hair.  Braiding...like washing and conditioning hair before bedtime and braiding can be helpful.  Moisture locks in to your hair.  Braiding keeps hair together from tossing and turning at night.

But, their is more going on... thus biology... I like hair... so when I was listening to my college biology classes for my degree, I actually woke up and listened...

If your hair is breaking... protein problem... Keratin.  Keratin is the binding protein that keeps hair strong.  Without Keratin... problems happen.  So finding something protein based like certain vitamins that help with hair...is good.

Thinning hair is a problem with the natural growth cycle.  Your hair goes through cycles.  There is a growth cycle.  This is where a hair strand grow.  It will grow as long as it can.  Then, it goes dormant as another hair strand starts growing.  The new hair strand pushes out the old one and it all starts over again.

If your hair is dry, a moisturizing conditioner is needed.  If your hair falls out before it can grow, that all depends.

Everyone has a growing period.  Sometimes it's not very long.  Sometimes it's very long.  Some women and men can only grow their hair to a certain length.  That's because it falls out at a certain time.  I dated a girl whose hair only could go to the tips of her shoulders.  It was her specific growth cycle.

One of the things that helps is exercise.  Yeah, what does exercise have to do with hair length?  Hair is formed by a hair cell forming.  It's alive.  But, not for long.  Another hair cell will form and the living hair cell will die.  It's constant replacing of living and dying haircells.  The protein keeps it together.  But, hair formation is dependent on what it can receive.  Each hair cell must have blood to give it what it needs.  Air and food, basically.  The more of those, the more haircells will form.  The faster hair growth is.

A healthy diet and exercise makes sure that your hair cells are getting protien, glucose and oxygen.  Cells can't live without it.  The more of these, the more hair cells.  The more hair cells, the longer your hair.  The more of these the stronger your hair.  Protein, glucose and oxygen means healthy hair.  So, exercising excreases blood flow.  Blood delivers protein, glucose and oxygen.  Messaging your scalp encreases blood flow too.

Healthy diet and exercise means healthy hair.  Hair care products with the right protein, oils that imitate the natural oils formed in your scalp and moisture that escapes from hair during washing and styling are needed.

That's where the stylists come in.  The stylists job is not only to give you a style that's "in," but it's their job to make sure your hair stays healthy.  They have a wealth of knowledge about products that do this for you.

Hope this helps...

-------------
Guys like me notice!

Posted By: Strandzofadiva
Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 1:34am

The hair and skin of African Americans is very sensitive. If the skin is excessively or continually rubbed in a particular area one will began to notice Hyperpigmentation which results in spots and uneven toned skin discolorations. If the hair is worn in the same pattern continually it will result in breakage and damage.Cry

With styles like Dreds, sister locks, and  box braids after a period of time  gravity along with the weight of the braids and wearing the hair continually in that pattern will almost always render the wearer a receding hair line,  lots of length in the back but hair loss in the front.

if you see small white pimple type bumps or feel those bumps  around your hairline and it is sore and painful to the touch the hair has been braided to tightly and the follicles have been damaged and depending on the damage the hair loss can be temporary or permanent.

When wearing braids, spraying the scalp with braid sprays to maintain moisture will prevent breakage; spraying your scalp will keep your hair, soft, moist and flexible.

African American hair is very diverse and many avenues can be sought  use them doing so will eliminate stressing your tresses.

Once you experience damage from braiding, take a break from that style. Treat your scalp, be mindful of your diet and water intake.

Wearing a wrap style could be an option until your scalp has recovered.

-------------
StrandzofaDiva

Posted By: blairgreen14
Date Posted: September 24 2012 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Strandzofadiva Strandzofadiva wrote:

The hair and skin of African Americans is very sensitive. If the skin is excessively or continually rubbed in a particular area one will began to notice Hyperpigmentation which results in spots and uneven toned skin discolorations. If the hair is worn in the same pattern continually it will result in breakage and damage.Cry

With styles like Dreds, sister locks, and  box braids after a period of time  gravity along with the weight of the braids and wearing the hair continually in that pattern will almost always render the wearer a receding hair line,  lots of length in the back but hair loss in the front.

if you see small white pimple type bumps or feel those bumps  around your hairline and it is sore and painful to the touch the hair has been braided to tightly and the follicles have been damaged and depending on the damage the hair loss can be temporary or permanent.

When wearing braids, spraying the scalp with braid sprays to maintain moisture will prevent breakage; spraying your scalp will keep your hair, soft, moist and flexible.

African American hair is very diverse and many avenues can be sought  use them doing so will eliminate stressing your tresses.

Once you experience damage from braiding, take a break from that style. Treat your scalp, be mindful of your diet and water intake.

Wearing a wrap style could be an option until your scalp has recovered.

Thank you for such a nice suggestion.

Print Page | Close Window