Forum Name: General Food Tips & Tricks
Forum Description: How To Store Food, Coupons, Etc.,
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=71056
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 9:23am

Topic: How Long Food Lasts In Pantry
Posted By: jenny12
Subject: How Long Food Lasts In Pantry
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 1:14pm
One of the ways people get ill is by eating food past its prime when stored in the pantry.  Check out the list below of how long, in general, food lasts in the pantry.

When in doubt, always do a sniff test to make sure everything is still as it should be. 

Bread - 5-7 days - maybe longer when stored in an airtight plastic container or possibly in the refrigerator.

Cereal - Up to 1 year.  When in doubt always read the expiration dates on the packaging.

Pasta - Up to 2 years.

White rice - Up to 1 year

Bottled salad dressing - 1 year

Jams, jellies, honey, syrup - 1 year

Peanut butter - 6 months

Please share any important foods I forgot above.

Replies:
Posted By: Ericachristina
Date Posted: July 27 2012 at 12:09am

The shelf life of an item depends on what food it is obviously, usually once an item is opened it should be eaten or refrigerated. Many products have an expiry date marked on it but I would still smell it to make sure it is okay to use. I usually don`t purchase things that are not marked with an expiry date, I also always check the expiry dates on the items before I purchase them and I don`t buy anything that is close to expiring.

I wouldn’t keep any food item for too long no matter what the expiry date, I don’t want to eat something that has been in the pantry for two years even if it isn’t passed the expiry date but that’s just my personal preference.

Many canned foods can stay in the pantry for a long time but one thing that worries me is why they are able to keep for so long. Naturally all food rots so it makes me a bit concerned what types of chemicals they are putting in the preserving liquids and cans in order to make the foods last so long, it seems a bit un natural to me.

Print Page | Close Window