Print Page | Close Window

Channel 4 (UK) show on hair loss

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Loss
Forum Description: Support group for those suffering from hair loss.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8077
Printed Date: September 28 2024 at 10:28pm

Topic: Channel 4 (UK) show on hair loss
Posted By: phil
Subject: Channel 4 (UK) show on hair loss
Date Posted: February 07 2001 at 12:59pm
Just a note to inform people that Ch. 4 is showing a programme devoted to men and women suffering from alopecia, on 7 Feb. at 8.30 pm.

-------------
phil

Replies:
Posted By: sondra
Date Posted: February 08 2001 at 8:43pm
Phil -- I`m in the U.S., I would so appreciate it if you could give us a "report" on what was covered in the TV show in the UK. Thanks a million!! -Sondra

-------------
milli bracone

Posted By: phil
Date Posted: February 10 2001 at 8:50am
Reply to message: 8.345.1
Certainly, Sondra. The show focussed on 5 people, three women and two men, but first the stats: It said there are 100,000 hairs on the head and 5 million on the body. Also 1 in 50 people will develop some form of alopecia, rising to 1 in 5 in children of people seriously affected. Then came the case studies.
First was Tracey, who started with hair loss at 22 and went on to develop Alopecia Universalis, where all body hair is lost. She took Mynoxydil, or Rogaine (which we are allowed to call Regaine in the UK!) and it produced a good quantity of very fine white hair. Not satisfied with this she opted for 10 steroid injections which went on to produce small amounts of darker, what she called "real" hair, but the process was so slow the show ended before there was any real result.
Next was Julie, a hairdresser whose hair looked fine until she removed her large bandana, and then pulled her hair up off her neck to reveal huge bald patches. She bought a wig, trimmed it to look "natural, not wiggy" but had not plucked up the courage to shave her head (in order to wear it) by the time the show ended.
There was Steve, who did appear to conquer his male pattern baldness with Rogaine - he was like a walking commercial.
Finally, two people with androgenic male-type baldness. Bashar looked OK from the front but his bald patch seemed to be spreading out from the top of his head. There was no cure for him.
Neither was there for another Julie, whose hair was also seroiusly thinning on top just like a man`s. A trichologist said it was incurable but this didn`t stop various cowboy operators charging her good money for no result at their "surgeries". A sad case of exploitation.
I quite often take "still" photos of interesting programmes like this (i.e. Tracey before and after treatment) and will send them to anyone who wants them.

-------------
phil

Print Page | Close Window