Print Page | Close Window

Hair loss

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Loss
Forum Description: Support group for those suffering from hair loss.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8184
Printed Date: May 18 2024 at 7:51am

Topic: Hair loss
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Hair loss
Date Posted: December 08 2002 at 10:33pm
Hello all!

I started taking anti depressants and my hair started falling out really badly. I stop taking them and its still falling out in handfuls. Has anyone experienced this? What should I do? I am seeing my dr next week.

Replies:
Posted By: Brandi
Date Posted: December 09 2002 at 2:36am
I never experienced anything like this while on a medication. It sounds like you had some kind of reaction to it. You should wait and see what your doctor says. And of course don`t take it anymore.
:)

-------------

Posted By: Ingrid16
Date Posted: December 09 2002 at 6:48am
Hi Alexis! I`m so sorry to hear this is happening to you-unfortunately, this is a fairly common side effect of anti-depressants. What a crummy situation, huh? You take something to try to help yourself and make things better, and then a new problem comes out of it...:( Anyway, there are some things you can do to fight it;
1) Definitely talk with your doc about it- it sounds like you`re having a very extreme reaction to this stuff & it might be causing you other health problems as well
2)Take a daily mutlivitamin- I know it sounds weird, but Centrum Silver (which is usually for age 60+) actually works & there`s nothing wrong with a younger person taking it.
3)Avoid potentially damaging styles/products (i.e. heat styling, etc.), at least until you`ve talked to your doc- the additional stress on your hair can make it worse.

Altho I`ve never had such an extreme reaction to A-D`s, I have experienced some hair loss because of them (Thank God the one I take now doesn`t do this). When I was 11, I started taking them, and the first one that they put me on caused spotted hair loss (patches falling out)- I had a bald spot for a while...it was nothing short of traumatic. Just so you know, you`re not the only one who`s had this problem.
All the best & God Bless you.
Lotsa Love,
Ingrid :)

-------------
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing