Print Page | Close Window

Coerced into unwanted haircut

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8344
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 1:13pm

Topic: Coerced into unwanted haircut
Posted By: Dave
Subject: Coerced into unwanted haircut
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
One of my fellow classmates in an evening course at a nearby collegehas lived in the United States for six months, having otherwise livedher entire life in India. She is a reserved, gentle, and polite younglady. She had (key word -- "had") thick, hip-length, glossy hair thatwas nearly as thick at the ends as it was near the top, with no visiblesplit-ends. The condition of her hair was far superior to mine.For her first salon visit while in the United States, she went to anearby JCPenney salon, to have the ends trimmed only. She admitted tothe stylist that she never used conditioner. The stylist's verdict?That her hair was "dry" and "needed to be cut." So she acquiesced tothe stylist's recommendation, which was to cut off 16 inches of herhair. Her reaction? "I was very sad when my hair was being cut."She said that they sold her a bunch of products, including conditioner,which she told me had no noticeable effect on her hair. She said thatshe wants to return to India to visit her family, but has decided towait for two years until most of her hair grows back -- AND will haveher husband trim a tiny amount from the ends only, every once in awhile.IMO, the stylist did this young woman a tremendous disservice, andduped my classmate into an unnecessary -- and unwanted -- haircut.I wonder if the stylist recommended a major haircut in part because itwas believed that she wouldn't stand up and defend herself in the faceof "professional" advice to cut? Needless to say she is quite upsetstill and I feel badly for her that she was taken advantage of.Dave

-------------
David M Squires

Replies: