Print Page | Close Window

To Cindy: Don't Let These Women Intimidate You..About Anything:)

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8417
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 6:40am

Topic: To Cindy: Don't Let These Women Intimidate You..About Anything:)
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: To Cindy: Don't Let These Women Intimidate You..About Anything:)
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:02pm
Hi, Cindy!I read your response and further commentary about your situation re your hair choice. First, I thought your initial response about your reasons for liking longer hair on yourself was sound and heart-felt.Second, I read about your female co-workers and what I wanted to say to you was that this is common regardless of your age. I am in my 20's and have had inappropriate, rude and sometimes viscious comments from girls and supposed women from the time my hair was shoulder length to the present at derriere length. Please don't let them intimidate you or make you feel that you have to consult with or take their opinions regarding anything. It is more than possible to maintain your independence and have sound friendships with female co-workers. However, you have to realize that once they feel that they have the control, they will continue with rude, thoughtless,and inappropriate comments and actions.Please do not allow them to pull your hair. This is what I am talking about. All you have to do is simply turn to whomever and say, "Please don't do that," while looking them directly in the eye. In such a situation, the idea is to make them feel embarrased. Have to say, works most of the time:)As for the comment from the woman about longer hair bringing your face down and making you look older, I'll tell you what a woman with whom I used to work did to handle this situation. Before working for myself, I worked in an office situation with a woman who was in her 50's, very intelligent and outspoken and had ultra-long blonde hair (past her derriere). I can remember one woman who was in her 30's or so remarking to this woman in front of other people that she would look much better with a cut closer to her ears because she would look so much younger. This woman turned to the other and said that she was surprised at such a remark coming from such a young woman, and that she was too young to have such archaic notions. The woman was speechless. She kept her mouth shut from then on.All the Best,Jade21

Replies:
Posted By: Kent
Jade21,Thank you for your thoughtful comments to Cindy. Although this was directed primarily to her, it will be helpful to anyone who has or is growing their hair long. And that includes 52 year old men like me!You always have intelligent, well-thought out responses and I want you to know I appreicate them!Kent

-------------
Kent

Posted By: Dave
> As for the comment from the woman about longer hair> bringing your face down and making you look older,> I'll tell you what a woman with whom I used to work> did to handle this situation. Before working for> myself, I worked in an office situation with a woman> who was in her 50's, very intelligent and outspoken> and had ultra-long blonde hair (past her derriere). I> can remember one woman who was in her 30's or so> remarking to this woman in front of other people that> she would look much better with a cut closer to her> ears because she would look so much younger. This> woman turned to the other and said that she was> surprised at such a remark coming from such a young> woman, and that she was too young to have such archaic> notions. The woman was speechless. She kept her mouth> shut from then on.> All the Best,> Jade21Oh Jade, this story is priceless :-)Thanks for sharing it...BTW I agree with what Kent said too :-)Take care,Dave

-------------
David M Squires