Print Page | Close Window

hair color description

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8426
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 4:56pm

Topic: hair color description
Posted By: Clare
Subject: hair color description
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:03pm
I saw a term written today: dishwater blonde. I really hate that description of hair color. People would refer to my hair color as "dishwater blonde" when I was growing up. No wonder I was always coloring it. I just feel that is such an uncomplimentary term.Clare

-------------
Clare

Replies:
Posted By: Dave
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
> I saw a term written today: dishwater blonde. I really> hate that description of hair color. People would> refer to my hair color as "dishwater blonde"> when I was growing up. No wonder I was always coloring> it. I just feel that is such an uncomplimentary term.> ClareHi Clare,I feel badly for you that you felt that your natural hair color was in need of "improvement." No matter what color it was, it certainly was not in need of any such alteration!To me, any natural haircolor looks better than colored hair in part because the collection of hairs have a natural tendency to be of a variety of colors, which adds to its richness.And I agree completely with your lament. The actual color of "dish" water depends on how dirty it is! So in a sense, the term is meaningless.You have given but one example of how uncomplimentary terms are applied to hair as a means of encouraging a general or specific change -- whether or not the people describing it as such are even aware of the affect of their words.Glad to hear you've gained the wisdom :-)Take care, Clare.Dave

-------------
David M Squires