Print Page | Close Window

Beauty and the Art of Illusion

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8435
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 10:05pm

Topic: Beauty and the Art of Illusion
Posted By: Ally
Subject: Beauty and the Art of Illusion
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
I'd like to take what JM said a few posts back and run with it.JM dyes her hair Kate Winslet red, as I used to do, and she loves it. She says she gets resentful reactions from natural redheads, though. I believe her, because I did too. My very best friend, in fact, was pained by the idea that I could pay to have what she was born with. Whenever people remarked that we were both redheads, she was sure to point out that mine came from a bottle. To this day, she is incredulous and indignant that her high school sweetheart dumped her for a girl named Andrea who had FAKE red hair.A lot of natural blondes are especially touchy about their peroxide counterparts. Do girls with naturally curly hair resent perm customers? Possibly.To those "natural" women who somehow feel threatened by the copycats, I say, "Get over it." Beauty is about artifice and always has been. Even if you take care of your hair by treating it to cherry bark conditioner, you're using something that's external and foreign to the body to improve your appearance. Philosophically, I can't see any difference.What does everyone else think?Ally

Replies: