Print Page | Close Window

question for the very long-haired ladies

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8441
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 6:12pm

Topic: question for the very long-haired ladies
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: question for the very long-haired ladies
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
I'm just curious... what type of jobs or careers do you have? I'm a law student, and I know that very long hair is generally considered "too sexy" for a courtroom. (Especially if you have a very feminine-sounding name to go with it!) I was just wondering whether you have jobs that are more receptive to long hair, or if you put it up every day at work.I have a chin-length bob right now and I've thought about growing it longer, but I just don't know if I want to have to put it up every day. (I don't think I look that great with my hair up.)

Replies:
Posted By: Carol
I am in the Information Technology field, and I have long hair that is extremely curly. (It is very similar to Judge Whipper on Ally McBeal, but it is brown and not quite as big.) I can empathize with your desire to have longer hair. I fought with my curls for years: cutting them off, perming, straightening, you name it, till I grew tired of it and just let them grow.My hair doesn't look that great "up" either, but I have come to enjoy wearing other accessories like headbands, ponytails, and barrettes to keep my hair in check for work. If I don't have anything important on my schedule (like a meeting or a client briefing) I just wear it down.

-------------

Posted By: Noreen
Hi Carmen,My hair is knee length. I am the supervisor of a customer service department for a large computer company. Most often I either wear my hair down, or in a braid. However, when we have customer's coming into the office I will simply pull my hair back from my face and put it into a barrette or make a bun out of the top half of my hair and use hair sticks to hold it. It hasn't seemed to hinder me in my career at all and when I was offered this position, I was told what made me stand out from the other candidates was my beautiful hair and the fact that I took the time to hand write thank you notes after my first interview. Oh, and this wasn't a man who told me this, but the woman who interviewed me.Take care,Noreen> I'm just curious... what type of jobs or careers do> you have? I'm a law student, and I know that very long> hair is generally considered "too sexy" for> a courtroom. (Especially if you have a very> feminine-sounding name to go with it!) I was just> wondering whether you have jobs that are more> receptive to long hair, or if you put it up every day> at work.> I have a chin-length bob right now and I've thought> about growing it longer, but I just don't know if I> want to have to put it up every day. (I don't think I> look that great with my hair up.)

-------------