Print Page | Close Window

Going to Great Lengths

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8449
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 5:08pm

Topic: Going to Great Lengths
Posted By: Ally
Subject: Going to Great Lengths
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:09pm
This is a subject I've wanted to broach for a long time. Holly, thanks for the "in." ;)I adore long hair. It's a big part of my beauty aesthetic, and it's something I crave for myself. BUT...When I say "long," I mean anywhere from a few inches below the shoulders to the middle of the back....maybe to the waist. After that, it's all downhill in my opinion, and that goes for anyone of any age. Can someone please explain the allure of knee-length hair?I don't see how that extra foot or two adds beauty. In fact, I think it can look almost freakish, like someone's nails grown to the point where they're curling backward. Okay, not gruesome like that, but still pointless (to me).It's hard to give hair that long any lift at the roots, any movement, or any discernable style. Often, the hair becomes an entity to itself and looks out of place on the wearer.I can see it occasionally in artistic depictions: Maybe you remember when Uma Thurman played Venus in "The Adventure of Baron Munchausen." But I think it works only with period costumes. Botticelli's Venus is stunning in her rise from the clam shell, but put that woman in jeans or a business suit, and she looks pretty frumpy.The only beauty icon I can think of with hair that long is Crystal Gayle, and she's not the fantasy of any man I know. (I'm not saying that pleasing men is the /point/, but it's a popular topic of discussion here.)Ally

Replies:
Posted By: david
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:09pm
> This is a subject I've wanted to broach for a long> time. Holly, thanks for the "in." ;)> I adore long hair. It's a big part of my beauty> aesthetic, and it's something I crave for myself.> BUT...> When I say "long," I mean anywhere from a> few inches below the shoulders to the middle of the> back....maybe to the waist. After that, it's all> downhill in my opinion, and that goes for anyone of> any age. Can someone please explain the allure of> knee-length hair?> I don't see how that extra foot or two adds beauty. In> fact, I think it can look almost freakish, like> someone's nails grown to the point where they're> curling backward. Okay, not gruesome like that, but> still pointless (to me).> It's hard to give hair that long any lift at the> roots, any movement, or any discernable style. Often,> the hair becomes an entity to itself and looks out of> place on the wearer.> I can see it occasionally in artistic depictions:> Maybe you remember when Uma Thurman played Venus in> "The Adventure of Baron Munchausen." But I> think it works only with period costumes. Botticelli's> Venus is stunning in her rise from the clam shell, but> put that woman in jeans or a business suit, and she> looks pretty frumpy.> The only beauty icon I can think of with hair that> long is Crystal Gayle, and she's not the fantasy of> any man I know. (I'm not saying that pleasing men is> the /point/, but it's a popular topic of discussion> here.)> Ally

-------------