Print Page | Close Window

"Hair Politics" or "Hair Preschool"

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8458
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 6:04pm

Topic: "Hair Politics" or "Hair Preschool"
Posted By: gigi
Subject: "Hair Politics" or "Hair Preschool"
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
I've been away for awhile and was just reading through the messages and wondering why I'm seeing such nitpicking and fussing whenever someone states an opinion that is controversial. I was under the impression that this board is for precisely those sort of juicy controversial chats, as it is called, in fact, "Hair Politics." While we can't each go spouting off our opinions on the street, this is a fun place to throw them out there and get some good discussions going. On this board, any good debates usually digresses into "Well I should have the right to wear my hair however I want!..." (yes dear, you can) and "Why can't we all just play nice?..." or turn into long sentimental hug fests where everyone apologizes to everyone else ("I'm sorry," "No,I'm sorry, "No,no, I'm sorry".) And then there are a CERTAIN poster's thousand word manifestos. Blah, blah, blah. For Pete's sake, lets just GROW UP. Honestly, no matter how we blather on, no one is going to come to your house with hand cuffs and make you grow your hair, or cut your hair, whatever the case may be. And I would venture to say that except for purpose of discussion no one really even CARES how your wear hair (primarily because we're all too worried about our own!) So lighten up. While I agree that discussions should be free of name calling and be in general good taste, I do think it might be a good idea for a few posters to get a grip. Now. Could we just get back to the dish?

Replies:
Posted By: Holly
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi Gigi,I'm in complete agreement, Gigi. I just want to be clear on something though:"Why can't we all just play> nice?..." or turn into long sentimental hug fests> where everyone apologizes to everyone else ("I'm> sorry," "No,I'm sorry, "No,no, I'm> sorry".)I'm taking this to mean me (though you probably don't mean just me since I've seen it before on other threads) since I was the last one to say I'm sorry. The only reason I apologized is because my wording had hurt some people's feelings ("Great Lengths" thread). As for my strong stance on being honest with yourself and maybe not everyone is jealous (though I think it does happen for that reason) and are just expressing their points the wrong way (comments in public that weren't asked for, family and friends repetively nagging to get a haircut) I stand by it. Funnily enough, Teresa wasn't offended (who does have knee-length hair) and Jade, who as far as I know doesn't have this length, was.As far as people needing to get a grip, I guess that's another point I was making in my pre-apologizing posts-I stand by that point, too. I still think if I would have been softer with what I think about knee-length hair, I still would have been shot down-not probably by some, but definitely others. I've seen it too many times here, and I got private "support" letters from some people who were telling me not to let some of these posters get to me, like they try to do to others (that was the gist of their letters, anyway). I guess maybe they feel too intimidated or probably more the case just too exhausted to have anymore go-arounds themselves with some of these posters.>And I would venture to say that except for purpose of >discussion no one really even CARES how your wear hairIn the case of this board-my thoughts so exactly. I will say that there are people in private life who do make it their concern, whether it may be a jealousy factor(women not wanting their friend to outshine them), maybe it bothers your parents ("get a haircut, boy!"). But in day to day life in public,(on the street, just minding your own business) I guess your statement can be hit or miss.> lighten up.I guess that was another mistake I made- I thought I could go into this subject in a lighthearted manner-meaning, when I made the statements that I did (not just the descriptions of what I said but all of my argument)I wasn't sitting at my computer thinking of ways to hurt people, and "dictate" to people how they should wear their hair, thinking that I'm the "arbitrater of what is tasteful" to quote what was said about me. It was just my opinion and another way of looking at the knee-length subject. Hopefully the "lightening up" will soon be more the norm here.Holly

-------------

Posted By: gigi
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
No, I wasn't talking about you in particular. My point is that this is "Hair Politics," people. All of this weeping sensitivity is making this column such a bore, because anytime anyone brings up an interesting topic for debate, like Ally did, people get all bent out of shape, and then we spend three days wading through threads of recrimination and apology. If they don't want to call this board "Hair Politics" then fine, but if it is to remain so, I suggest that if someone can't stand the heat they should get out of the kitchen. Enough said on my part. Now I'm getting out of here. Gracious me oh my...

-------------

Posted By: andy
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
Hi all,So what is wrong with "thousand word manifestos"? If we are all in favour of debate then let's do it proper like . One of the biggest problems of the world today is the goldfish like attention span of 'the MTV' generation. Debate is about producing cogent well-crafted arguements. If folks arn't allowed to write at whatever length they wish then debate isn't going to happen.

-------------