Print Page | Close Window

An article on hair growing tips - good or bad???

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8465
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 3:29pm

Topic: An article on hair growing tips - good or bad???
Posted By: Paul
Subject: An article on hair growing tips - good or bad???
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
I thought others might be interested in the following link which I came across today which was entitled "6 Secrets to Long Hair".The introduction to the article states:"It used to be common "style wisdom" that long hair was strictly for kids -- kids under 30, anyway. But that's changed. Now that grown-up celebrities from Jane Seymour to Helen Hunt are tossing their luxuriant manes on screens large and small, a lot of us noncelebs are reliving our long-hair fantasies: It looks so easy and sexy and carefree, we tell ourselves. And husbands love it.But once you've passed your twenties, long hair (top-of-shoulder length and beyond) has the potential to drag your face down, and it may make some women look heavier. Then there's the texture problem: After 30, your hair may be thinner, or drabber, or drier, or grayer. But all is not lost -- not by a long shot. Long hair can still be a stunning option for over-30 women, say the experts. You just have to be willing to play by a few unbreakable rules." The link to the article is as follows: http://homearts.com/rb/beauty/09longf1.htmThe - http://homearts.com/rb/beauty/09longf1.htmThe following are the article sub-titles. I have transcribed the six main sub-headings here and given two quotes about being flexible about length and knowing your hairs limitations. Perhaps others may have comments on these "tips".1. Get a superb cut2. Be flexible about lengthQuote:"Every woman has her own quirky definition of "long." But you may need to rethink yours and sacrifice a little length for a more flattering look. Even if you've always believed your hair isn't long unless you can touch it when you reach behind your back, you can in fact opt for a shoulder-brushing cut and still look long-haired. "Going just an inch or two shorter can make all the difference between a cut that doesn't work and one that does," says Kim Lépine of New York City's Kim Lépine Hair Salon."3. Be prepared to spend time on stylingQuote: "The more layers you have, the easier it is to achieve a style."4. Be willing to color itQuote: "The longer your hair, the more you need good color. "5. Maintain it6. Know your hair's limitationsQuote:"Even if you lust after length, you may be one of those people who simply can't wear long hair. Consider:Your height -- Long hair can make you look shorter and heavier. This is something you can live with if you've got height to spare, but if you're under five feet tall, below-shoulder hair is not for you, says Maria Perrotti, senior designer at Minardi Salon.Your hair's texture -- Some hair just doesn't want to be long. If your coarse, curly hair grows outward instead of downward, it's going to take a lot of fussing to make it look well-groomed, and you may wind up just tying it back every day. The opposite texture, straight, superfine hair, can look wispy, lusterless, and stringy as it gets longer.In both cases, a medium-length cut is the better alternative: Sometimes being a grown-up means being able to bite the bullet and cut it"These article seems to cover a number of areas which have been debated in the past few months on Hair Politics - including long hair and age; how long is too long; whether long hair is okay for everyone and also I think covers what I thought were some taboos for long hair growing including coloring, cutting in layers etc etc.... I found this interesting and thought provoking.Paul

Replies: