Print Page | Close Window

Big Decision?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8493
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 8:26pm

Topic: Big Decision?
Posted By: Christy
Subject: Big Decision?
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
I know this must sound trivial to some,but I have a major change to consider.I'm a recent college graduate,and just entered the business world.My problem is the pressure from others to conform to their standards.Ever since I can remember,I've been a fan of the 60's.I guess I was born in the wrong era.Since I was a young girl,I let my hair grow long,wore little or no makeup and worn basically T-shirts and jeans.So far it's been quite an adjustment to wear business suits,nylons,heels and makeup!The big problem is my hair.I've always had very long hair and usually wear it the same way,in a long braid,down loose, pull the sides up with barrettes, or for special occasions set or curl it.Now for work, I've been trying various up-do's.After wearing it down and braiding it for so many years,it's been quite a change wearing it up.The problem I have wearing it up, is it comes down quite a bit,and can be embarassing and a big pain.Right now my hair is very healthy, thick and straight,one lenght and down about 5-6" above my waist.Last week,for the first time in 6 years I went to a salon for a trim.I arrived at the salon afer work in my business attire with my hair pulled back in a French Twist held in place with a hairclip and pins.When I got in the chair, and let my hair down ,the stylist seemed pretty amazed by the length of my hair.My hair then was dowm below my butt,to the middle of my thighs.We made some small talk and I told her of my new job and the adjustment from college to work.Right away she assumed I wanted a new look and pulled up my hair and held it out and said I'd look good in a nice short cut.She went on and on about how someone like me needed a conservative,low maintenance haircut,and how cute I would look in it.I tried to be polite and told her I justwanted a trim.I could tell she was disappointed when I told her that.I probably should have left right then.She shampooed my hair and I told her I only wanted a few inches trimmed on the bottom and the side edges rounded up or layered a bit.She combed out my hair and said I had some considerable splitend damage,and that I needed to have a few more inches cut off.I relunctantly agreed.Big mistake!She then proceeded to chop straight across about 5-6" above my waist.At first I didn't realize how muchshe had cut until I turned around after the first cut and looked at the floor.I was in shock when I saw about 18-20" cut off!I screamed,but it was too late.I protested and was very upset,but there was nothing I could do.She finished the cut,I paid her and stormed out of the salon.I cried alot that night.Why are stylists so "scissor happy"?Since the haircut,I've noticed that friends and relatives are trying to persuade me to cut my hair shorter.The pressure is even on at work.A secretary at work whose hair was as long as mine is, just got a supershort clippercut.She and another short-haired co-worker went so far as to buy me a Short Styles magazine and recommending their salon.I'm seriously considering getting a below the shoulder bob,or maybe I should take the plunge and go all the way to a super short clippercut.The thought of getting a clippercut kind of intrigues me because it would be so easy to take care of.Getting the haircut sounds pretty scary to me.I'd probably freak out in the middle of it and regret it.A month ago I would never have thought about cutting my hair.Back then I didn't even know what a clippercut was.What should I do?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!Christy

Replies:
Posted By: andy
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
Christy,Why not go for it?I know this would be a big step for you, and I'm loath to give advice one way or the other. However, the fact that:1 You are even condsidering it2 People, who have seen your 'shorter' hair, reckon you would look good with short hair and3 You admit to having 'control' issues with the longsuggests to me that it might be worth trying.At the end of the day there is no one, 'correct' look - you have to discover what suits you. But I reckon, for what it's worth, that you should at least experiment. I knew one woman who grew her hair to just past her shoulders, wore it like that and played with styles, then chopped it to a short crop again, on a regular cycle. She just liked to change how she looked.If you decide to cut it off, perhaps go short in stages. That way fleeing the salon in shock is less likely to happpen. Ultimately of course, this is your descision, but I reckon if you listen to people whose adivice you trust and have no axe to grind, and follow your own instincts you can't go far wrong. Even if you decide to start growing it again as soon as you leave the salon, you at least then know that you tried it and know you didn't like it.This is not a recomendation to cut or not cut, I have no idea of your face shape, personality, hair or anything else about you. At the end of the day it's your hair and you can do what you like with it.andy

-------------